This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Conrad Kreyling Date Nighto

Conrad Kreyling, founder of Date Nighto who once saw a ghost, joins us to talk about the mad odyssey of founding a game studio, making visual novels, and life in general. Starfighter, Hustle Cat, and now more newly announced titles! SDGQ 2015 is over, with an epic Chrono Trigger finale. Battle for Wesnoth (which we've discussed on GeekNights before) desperately needs developers. Scoville is pretty good.

Join us at PAX Prime 2015, where Jo (also from Date Nighto), three other smart people, and us are going to talk about games!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The elephant noises in the first level of Street Fighter is a weird injection of nostalgia.
  • Openarena is the opensource Quake 3. If you like Quake 3, its basically just Quake 3 with different looking guns and maps. Last time I played it, it ran kind of shit on my computer though, which is weird because Quake 3 obviously runs fine, as does Quake live. We used to play that in high school in the computer lab because I found it in one of the sysadmin's public shared folders along with Halo 1, Wesnoth, and I think even Marathon was on there. Pretty sure it was just his stash of games for dicking around at work.
  • Openarena is the opensource Quake 3. If you like Quake 3, its basically just Quake 3 with different looking guns and maps. Last time I played it, it ran kind of shit on my computer though, which is weird because Quake 3 obviously runs fine, as does Quake live. We used to play that in high school in the computer lab because I found it in one of the sysadmin's public shared folders along with Halo 1, Wesnoth, and I think even Marathon was on there. Pretty sure it was just his stash of games for dicking around at work.

I never heard of OpenArena. The open source FPS I have heard of are Cube 2: Saurbaten, Nexuiz, and Warsow.
  • As someone who bring the traveling convention in a car I be happy to take those games and add it to the library. Just let me know what you are looking for them.
  • Wesnoth never had great game balance, and the single player campaigns were pretty badly designed (irrespective of the changes that kept breaking them per our story).

Human v human was where it was at, but even there it was often unsatisfying. The town capture mechanic (immediate capture by moving in) and liberal movement rules (see also: Fire Emblem) make it basically impossible to establish fronts of any kind. Area control was negligible.

Leveling up individual units was key to winning, and that was highly dependent on RNG and last hitting. You heal on level-up, so a missed level up means that unit is automatically dead on the opponents turn. Huge swings thus occurred driven primarily by RNG.

• Look forward to hearing your take on Scoville. Tasty Minstrel has really been upping its game.
  • Saw this at the game store when I went to get some Netrunner cards.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/85394/last-banquet

I am intrigued by the 25 player limit. Anyone know anything?
  • Apreche said:

I am intrigued by the 25 player limit. Anyone know anything?

Reading the description, it seems to be a Mafia-like
  • FFG are the kings of marketing, but somehow this is the first time I've ever heard of that 2012 release.
  • Sounds like Last Banquet involves changing seats at a table. There's a session report here: https://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1360740/played-last-banquet

Scoville is my favorite game Tasty Minstrel has published since Homesteaders, I've played it four times since Anthony got here.

• All about those ghost peppers.
  • Nothing I like hearing more than a Wizard People, Dear Readers reference.
  • ! I knew Catface Meowmers sounded familiar.
  • How to play M. Bison since Street Fighter 2.
  • Which routes of hatoful have you done and have you looked at the archive after each route? There's an overarching storyline hinted at mostly in the archives. Each characters route is pretty short but once you unlock the true route it becomes a really different game and is about the size of all the other routes combined. I started playing it ironically but by the end I was surprised how much I liked it.
  • Konrad is a purveyor of filth and perversion that we can all approve of.
    Well done sir.
  • Hustle Cat is on Steam Greenlight!
  • edited February 2016
    Rym said:

Hustle Cat is on Steam Greenlight!

Excited, but I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to play the game, since my desktop's in a common room in my house. :P
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • Rym said:

Hustle Cat is on Steam Greenlight!

Excited, but I'm not sure when I'll actually be able to play the game, since my desktop's in a common room in my house. :P
    It's alright you can just take turns.
  • I had a lot of fun playing hustle cat. There were some really great moments.