This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - The Lightning Round

It's the GeekNights Lightning Round! Tonight, rather than a single topic, we tackle several in a row with a one-minute time limit!

• credit cards
  • ISIS
  • planned parenthood
  • shaving my head
  • water bottles
  • diamond industry
  • best skills and practices for being an informed nerd
  • obesity/HAES
  • hopes/dreams/wishes for a Settlers of Catan Movie or TV Show
  • Go
  • Boston's olympic bid
  • the whole Uber/Lyft/Whatever paradigm, medallions, regulation, deregulation, etc...
  • favorite ghost stories, urban legends, and/or mythological creatures?
  • gardening
  • yogurt
  • political polls
  • the FIX protocol
  • doughnuts
  • kids' bathroom toys
  • Chinese American food
  • mugging, pickpocketing and other street crime
  • the Singularity
  • soldering
  • kitchen technology - fridges, microwaves and other kitchen appliances.
  • anger management
  • 2016 Republican primary
  • guaranteed income
  • socks

Don't forget to come see us live at PAX Prime 2015!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• The non-"silly joke" reason to promote to a bishop or rook is that promotions typically happen in the end game, and you could be in a position where a queen would cause a stalemate.
  • PAX AUS, every morning, Walker's Doughnuts. Two doughnuts and a coffee, fuck yeah breakfast. Hungover or would prefer to appear to be a semi-responsible adult to other people? Coffee, doughnut and a Kransky.

None of this glazed twenty-eight ingredient hipster artisinal bullshit either, fucking fried dough with cinnamon sugar or get the fuck out.
  • This is a trend. PAX Prime and PAX South also have kick-ass doughnut shops. Where you at, East?!
  • I was pondering the sock argument while looking for socks this morning. How do I justify $20 socks surely they wear out like the socks I buy already?
  • Matt said:

This is a trend. PAX Prime and PAX South also have kick-ass doughnut shops. Where you at, East?!

You're asking about donut shops.

Ten miles from the spot Dunkin Donuts was born.
  • Dunkin Donuts is below the tier I would even consider a doughnut.
  • But a Dunkin Donut is the same no matter where you buy it, and it's the lowest common denominator donut. It is good if there is nothing else around. These other examples are in the realm of "fancy donuts."

Besides, I avoid DD now because their coffee is basically inedible, and served at ungodly hot temperatures.
  • Rym said:

Dunkin Donuts is below the tier I would even consider a doughnut.

Says he who eats the McDonald's breakfast sandwich.
  • Apreche said:

I'm a bad influence.
  • I'll give that the hot coffee is crap, but sometimes you just need two Dunkin' jellies and a large hazelnut iced.
  • pence said:

Apreche said:

I'm a bad influence.
    Let's be fair here, its the only thing anyone would willingly eat off that menu anyway.
  • Apreche said:

Rym said:

Dunkin Donuts is below the tier I would even consider a doughnut.

McDonald's breakfast sandwich is no joke. It's a legit option if you are in a rush. It's an actual fresh egg, with a slice of cheese, put on a toasted english muffin. Blows all other fast food breakfasts out of the water. Even in NJ, the land where breakfast sandwiches die and go to heaven, sometimes you don't have time to stop at one of the amazing bagel stores and get a pork roll, egg, and cheese. Pull through that McD drive through and get going.

Dark clouds on the horizon though. Since the avian flu outbreak hit, 25% of egg-laying chickens in the US have died. Word is that McD is considering switching away from cracking real eggs at the grill, and going to fake eggs due to cost. Don't do it, Ronald!!!

• While I haven't visited them to assess their quality (yet!), there does exist Doughboy Donuts and Deli one mile away from the BCEC.
  • P.S. I love the fact that out of the many topics discussed in this episode, breakfast is the hit.
  • The McGriddle is an amazing feat of science, but it will also probably kill you faster than most other things on their menu.
  • The McGriddle is an amazing feat of science, but it will also probably kill you faster than most other things on their menu.

One of those has about 3/4 of your daily value of sodium.