This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wallets

Wallets suck, and despite everyone kickstarting them, they're all awful designs. I want a slim wallet that just holds cards and a little cash. When I say slim, I mean even a standard bifold is far too think, and trifolds are disasters.

Way back, we both got the Jimi.
http://www.thejimi.com/store/

Mine broke, and the ones we had don't seem to be available anymore (and haven't been for many, many years).

I kickstarted this guy - the U.Arrange.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1916197525/uarrange-wallet-slide-and-see-all-your-cards-insta-0

It's amazing, and I use it to this day. It's starting to wear out, however, after a few years, and isn't easily repaired. It never became a real product, and I don't know if there's any way to ever buy one again.

Most kickstarter wallets look horrible. They look like people designed them on a napkin with no regard to usability, use cases, or any design aesthetic.

But... A CHALLENGER APPEARS:
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1115468767/kore-slim-wallet-rfid-protected?ref=email

Comments

• No wallet has been good. The best wallet will be when we don't have a wallet. Apple Pay works amazingly well at the places that support it. There should be a law requiring all places that take cards to support one or more standards of NFC within the year. Also, cash-only businesses should be outlawed. It won't happen fast enough if we let it happen naturally.
  • Shit, that looks a lot like the wallet I was looking for when I got my current wallet. Maybe I'll back that.
  • Apreche said:

No wallet has been good. The best wallet will be when we don't have a wallet. Apple Pay works amazingly well at the places that support it. There should be a law requiring all places that take cards to support one or more standards of NFC within the year. Also, cash-only businesses should be outlawed. It won't happen fast enough if we let it happen naturally.

I avoid cash-only places like the plague. It's the main reason I stopped going to Sweetleaf.

• My father uses one of these: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00D7UXYYE/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_4?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A17Q55VMDHQ1VL

That looks about as close as you're going to get to the UAranage now-a-days.
  • When I upgraded from my large phone to a phablet, I realized that carrying my fat wallet and my fat phone in my fat pockets would start getting trickier. So I downsized:

http://www.amazon.com/OnePlus-Case-GMYLE-Vintage-Oneplus/dp/B00QK70NHM/ref=sr_1_13?s=wireless&ie=UTF8&qid=1440000332&sr=1-13&keywords=oneplus+one+case

3 cards, an ID, a cash spot, and a phone holder.

Of course, this is probably like 500% larger than anything Rym wants to carry.
  • Rym said:

I avoid cash-only places like the plague. It's the main reason I stopped going to Sweetleaf.

It must be a generational thing. My parents hate using their cards and use cash whenever they can. I'm the exact opposite.
  • I tried using one of those slim, almost money clip like wallets for about half a year but went back to a bifold wallet simply because cards are way easier to get out. Finding the correct card in a hurry was a pain in the ass especially when tagging on and off public transport.
    Also folding money like 4 or 5 times and then stuffing it or clipping it takes more time than just putting it into a slot wide enough for it.
    Apreche said:

No wallet has been good. The best wallet will be when we don't have a wallet. Apple Pay works amazingly well at the places that support it. There should be a law requiring all places that take cards to support one or more standards of NFC within the year. Also, cash-only businesses should be outlawed. It won't happen fast enough if we let it happen naturally.

The larger hurdle, in my estimation, is getting rid of ID cards (even though 100% of their functionality can be replicated on a phone).

LOL
  • RymRym
    edited August 2015

3 cards, an ID, a cash spot, and a phone holder.

So when you lose it, you're completely fucked because it's your cash, cards, AND phone. ;^)

That thing is a big as a real book. You're carrying a book around.

I guess that would be OK if you drive everywhere. But I bike and walk everywhere.

Post edited by Rym on
  • I have pockets that actually fit things, like books. Yes, I can carry a book in my pocket. Walking with it is a non-issue.

Biking, that would be a different story.
    So when you lose it, you're completely fucked because it's your cash, cards, AND phone. ;^)
    Super incentive to not lose it!
  • Current wallet.
    IMG_20150819_123024
    IMG_20150819_122951
    IMG_20150819_122921

4 credit/debit cards, insurance cards, zipcard, metrocard, ID, cash.
  • I mean, have you considered just using like a binder clip or something similar to hold together the handful of items you take with you? Why even bother with a wallet at that stage?
  • RymRym
    edited August 2015

I mean, have you considered just using like a binder clip or something similar to hold together the handful of items you take with you? Why even bother with a wallet at that stage?

This wallet has that open space on the back. I can use my thumb to slide out an individual card for quick payment. I can also quickly slide the metrocard out of the clip to use at the turnstile both quickly and blind.]

Binder clips don't hold cards tightly enough: the bundle would regularly fall apart or cards would slip out. Credit cards have raised numbers, so the pressure on the outer cards would actually push inner cards OUT of the bundle entirely.

A binder clip that was tight enough to avoid that would be too tight to quickly insert/remove cards for use. It also doesn't segregate metrocard/cash from other cards for blind deployment.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Mine is pretty decent, however it has a shitty magnetic money clip which doesn't work too well. But it works decently. But it has good access to everything.

• Love my Jimi wallet. Tried one, it was great, eventually wears out. Bought two this time.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jimiwallet.html

In stock. not sure if those are the ones you used before. They work great for me and forced me to lighten up what I was carrying. It was a good thing though.

I really love this wallet I picked up at the KidRobot store in NYC, but sadly, after a few years, it is suddenly showing lots of wear and tear. Therefore, I have Kickstarted the wallet in Rym's start to this thread. We'll see how it is.
  • AaronC said:

Love my Jimi wallet. Tried one, it was great, eventually wears out. Bought two this time.

http://www.lapolicegear.com/jimiwallet.html

In stock. not sure if those are the ones you used before. They work great for me and forced me to lighten up what I was carrying. It was a good thing though.

Yeah, that's the one you can still get: the original.

There was an updated version way back that had the money clip on the outside. It was the best.

• edited August 2015
    l use the Mighty Wallet. They are effectively the graphic tees of wallets but they are thin and have quicker access to cards than a standard wallet.
    Post edited by canine224 on
  • I'm not sure I'd like the money clip on the outside... to each his own!
  • I'd downsize my wallet if I had a smaller phone, as-is it's not the lowest common denominator. I know that it doesn't work exactly that way, but I figure if I'm gonna complain about wallets then I'd better complain about having a phablet in my pants first.
  • I have this wallet. So glad I went minimalist. I've had it for about three years now and no wear or tear outside of conforming around the contents. No intention of getting a new one unless it does wear out.
  • I have this wallet. So glad I went minimalist. I've had it for about three years now and no wear or tear outside of conforming around the contents. No intention of getting a new one unless it does wear out.

I have the exact same wallet. It's fantastic.
  • I want a big fat wallet.
  • canine224 said:

l use the Mighty Wallet. They are effectively the graphic tees of wallets but they are thin and have quicker access to cards than a standard wallet.

They also make very small sleeve-style ones. And they squish down to thickness of your stuff inside it + ɛ
  • I have one of these right now and it's just fine for me since it has the exact number of card holders and pockets I need and a place for cash (which I use and enjoy doing so).

However, I do fancy the idea of having my wallet being part of a phone case, so I might get something like this once my current wallet wears out.
  • I don't know if that's better or worse than my current setup, but main reservation against it is if I loose one I loose the other?
  • If I lose either, I am in an equal, albeit low, state of panic. It's not a big deal at all, provided I can get to a phone quickly. I never leave the house without either, so it makes sense to combine them.

Actually, with that case, if I lose my phone/wallet, I can then track/locate it using Google Device Manager on my tablet or home PC. I can't lose my wallet as long as it's attached to my phone.
  • While I don't use a phone-wallet myself, I don't buy the argument of "it's a dumb idea because if you lose both, now you're screwed." Everyone on this forum is going to celebrate the day the wallet dies, and everything it loaded into your phone, so we're all going to end of in that boat anyway. Lose your phone and you are fucked.
  • I own an Alpine Swiss Men's Leather Flipout Bifold/Trifold Hybrid Wallet. 12 Card Slots, 3 additional card slot pockets + Flip Out ID Window, full size bill section. RFID Protected as well. Still has leather smell, classy, neutral look plus the Alpine Swiss sign. Holds credit cards, supermarket cards, business cards, cash, and ID pretty well. Really digging it, but it is big.
  • Matt said:

Everyone on this forum is going to celebrate the day the wallet dies, and everything it loaded into your phone, so we're all going to end of in that boat anyway. Lose your phone and you are fucked.

When the wallet dies, phones are hardened cryptographically secure devices.

As it stands, breaking your phone (if it's your source of, say, ID) would completely fuck you. Phones aren't physically sound or cryptographically secure enough by a long shot.