This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wallets

Comments

My wallet could eat all your wallets whole.
  • That's like a Constanza wallet.
  • My best friend's wallet is even bigger than that. I'm pretty sure it contains every single receipt he's ever gotten over the last decade or more. I asked him once why the hell he still has them all and he just said he wanted to see how long he could keep it going.
  • I use this wallet. Its pretty big so a lot of you would hate it but its held up really well. I wanted the micro wallet but it didn't even have a cash billfold pocket and I used to use a homemade duct tape wallet without one and it was kind of a pain.
  • I use a regular sized wallet that fits comfortably in my front pocket because I don't wear tight girly-man pants.

Fuck tri-folds to death though. When I worked as a cashier, money that was folded up on either end from sitting in a tri-fold wallet is one step above dirty, damp, or crumpled money that has been shoved into the bottom of a pocket.
  • UncleUlty said:

I use a regular sized wallet

There is no regular size wallet as you can see from the photos thus far.

I hardly ever have to carry more than 2 notes and need 7 cards.

An exterior pocket is especially useful for public transport

imageimage
  • My wallet is no 21 years old. I'm going to see if I can get through my entire life without more than one wallet.
  • My wallet is no 21 years old. I'm going to see if I can get through my entire life without more than one wallet.

I still have my black leather wallet from high school (which I replaced with my current one and a slim wallet to see if there was any difference and I was sucked into the "woah Kickstarter wallets").

• My wallet isn't even leather. It's a bit shabby, but still holds itself together. I think a big part of it's longevity is that there is no metal or zips or clips or any other join of strong and weaker materials. Just fabric.
  • edited August 2015
    Fabric is incredibly resilient in wallet applications even as it may wear over time.

Leather looks nice and feels good and can also be resilient, but it won't survive a wash cycle apparently, as I found out listening to TheMightyJingles the other day, and not because I once did it to my father's favorite wallet while doing extra chores to try and make up for destroying my report card to hide the evidence of a terrible grade in some class in elementary school so I could get a set of LEGO Mindstorms.

That situation did not inform me of the fragility of leather wallets to bleach and a wash cycle at all...

My wallet has a funny little money clip thing inside which is cool but makes putting change into the wallet a bit of a chore, and so it's the antithesis of what Luke seems to want in a personal, portable money storage device.

This thread now has me wondering if one of those slim deals wouldn't be worth a look sometime.
    Post edited by SWATrous on
  • Change as in coinage?

My friend Will does that, and I've never understood it.
  • Why would you ever want to put coins in a wallet? A wallet is for things that fold and/or lay flat.
  • Why would you ever want to put coins in a wallet? A wallet is for things that fold and/or lay flat.

Where else do you put your coins?

Just do what everyone does.

Balance them on your dick.
  • Neito said:

Change as in coinage?

My friend Will does that, and I've never understood it.

No just change as in bills returned as change?

Just do what everyone does.

It wouldn't work if it was flaccid and I don't think I could keep a boner going that long.
  • Just do what everyone does.

Wait, wait wait, you can't just advise them like that without specifying if you mean along the shaft, or on the tip. Someone's going to do themselves an injury, and it'll be your bloody responsibility.

• I put coins in... my POCKET. Then when I get home, I immediately put them in a plastic jug. Eventually I take that jug to a machine that turns the money into amazon gift cards.
  • In my case, I put my change in my pocket, then when I get home I put it in my kid's piggy bank (my dad did the same thing with me, so it's kind of a family tradition). When the piggy bank fills up, I take it to the bank and deposit it in his savings account (this bank has a coin counting machine and doesn't charge for its use if you're a customer).

Of course, if you don't have kids, yeah, the Amazon gift card machine is also a good option (I did that before I had an account at the bank with free coin counting).
  • I don't acquire much coinage as the majority of transactions are down via credit card.
  • I also mostly use a credit card, but I generally use cash for transactions under $10-$20 or so, especially if it's at a small mom-and-pop style business as opposed to a megachain.
  • While I try and avoid cash transactions as much as possible, I tend to either keep coins in my pocket until I get home to empty them, or I just tend to hoard quarters in the ashtray of my vehicle in case they should come in handy.

• I only use cash for Voodoo Doughnuts. Outside of them I refuse to go anywhere that requires cash if it can be helped.
  • Ah! My girlfriend and I have been planning on taking a day trip down to Portland to go there and do some food truck action. I'm surprised they are cash-only.
  • canine224 said:

I only use cash for Voodoo Doughnuts. Outside of them I refuse to go anywhere that requires cash if it can be helped.

I would go to Voodoo more often if it wasn't cash only. Same for a lot of food carts.
  • We dump all our change in a change sorter as soon as we get home. Every few weeks, I take the rolls down to the bank. Only quarters are kept.

The nickels are so worthless, I almost want to just throw them in the garbage rather than bother rolling them.
  • Maybe put all your nickles in a sack and once you get enough give it to a homeless person or something. Or just find a coinstar.
  • The US once had a half penny. It was retired in 1857 when many said it was worth so little as to be pointless. The value of a half penny in 1857 was the equivalent of 14 cents in 2014. Which begs the question: why do we have anything less than quarters?
  • Greg said:

The US once had a half penny. It was retired in 1857 when many said it was worth so little as to be pointless. The value of a half penny in 1857 was the equivalent of 14 cents in 2014. Which begs the question: why do we have anything less than quarters?

Why does X suck in the US?

Our government is corrupt, and therefore incapable of governing when it comes to even the smallest matters.

Also, you didn't use "beg the question" properly.
  • Well it costs like 1.7 cents to make a penny and 8 cents to make a nickle if that tells you anything about our currency. Now granted it obviously exchanges hands many times and is in circulation for quite a while so its not a huge deal but its still pretty ridiculous.