This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Cookies

Cookies are delicious, and they are the topic of tonight's GeekNights. We also talk about our NASes. The Ashley Madison hack raises many complex issues, which are being discussed in the GeekNights forum. Athletes are paid a lot, but are they overpaid? (This will be covered in depth in one of our PAX Panels - Sports are Games).

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• My cookies of choice:
    Chocolate chip
    White chocolate macadamia nut
    Peanut butter
  • Warning the following videos on NAS devices will make you want to open your wallet.

I too have been looking into this so the discussion helped out for when the budget is opened up.
  • Daikun said:

My cookies of choice:
    Chocolate chip
    White chocolate macadamia nut
    Peanut butter

Ditto. Though I won't deny that there are some days when an oatmeal raisin is what I want.
  • The way Rym describes his affection of cookies makese wonder this:

If we were to play Flutterneid in which we changed out the candy for differt types of cookies would the willingness to win overpower the need to collect the favorable cookie? The cookies can only be eaten if you collect it during the game itself (so no eating OPP).

• I believe with Oreos, there is a second level of exposure where the cookies actually get mildly soft and they taste much better. You go further than that, you get a brittle mess, but I think because of the way oreos are produced, there's an extra textural element.

Speaking of that, do not believe the hate. Oreo Thins are so much better than normal Oreos. The cookie to cream ratio is much better and they have a more satisfying crunch to them.
  • You got Rym's last name wrong. It's actually DatCookieDoe
  • The jungle is massive
  • When it comes to Peanut Butter Cookies, I'm spoiled because I only like the PB Cookies that I make. Most Peanut Butter Cookies are way too dry and hard for my taste. So I make ones that are chewy and semi-soft. They will start to crumble within a few days, but they are amazing. I'll give the recipe if requested.

I always make 100 or so to take to conventions and they are always destroyed or given to GeekNights people. Cookies are the best convention-snacks. They have the sugar to get you going in the morning or throughout the day, they are not messy, they store well, and they are pretty inexpensive. Even cheap, grocery store cookies can taste pretty good. During my last MAGFest, I was staying with a guy with Rym-levels of metabolism, because he ate about 70 cookies from my large 8 cup tupperware container over the weekend.
  • Coldguy said:

Warning the following videos on NAS devices will make you want to open your wallet.

I too have been looking into this so the discussion helped out for when the budget is opened up.

You call that a NAS? This is a NAS (I guess technically a SAN):

NERSC scratch filesystem for one of the supercomputing facilities I use. 3.6PB on the /scratch FS, 80GB/s peak IO. And that's the slow network attached storage. The stuff onboard one of the machines has twice that I/O speed, and nearly 10PB of space. I fucking love my job.
  • Cookies will be happening this week. I gots plans. ( ̄ω ̄)
  • I'm currently on a cruise ship. They make fresh cookies every day. I eat a cookie every day. Or more than one. Usually more than one.

Also, like Rym, my lifestyle is active enough that I never have to worry about how many cookies I eat.
  • Nukerjsr said:

When it comes to Peanut Butter Cookies, I'm spoiled because I only like the PB Cookies that I make. Most Peanut Butter Cookies are way too dry and hard for my taste. So I make ones that are chewy and semi-soft. They will start to crumble within a few days, but they are amazing. I'll give the recipe if requested.

I'd like the recipe, please. I keep trying to make them, but they always turn up flat and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
  • Rym, where are you on a scale from 1 to Rym vis-à-vis the best non-cookie baked treat in existence, AKA
  • Starfox said:

Rym, where are you on a scale from 1 to Rym vis-à-vis the best non-cookie baked treat in existence, AKA

I'm sorry, you seem to have misspoken.

• Churba said:

Starfox said:

Rym, where are you on a scale from 1 to Rym vis-à-vis the best non-cookie baked treat in existence, AKA

I'm sorry, you seem to have misspoken.
    It is a bar dessert which requires no baking
    Hue hue hue
  • There was a joke?
  • Why no love for a good molasses cookie? Those things are like crack-cocaine
  • Alaric728 said:

Why no love for a good molasses cookie? Those things are like crack-cocaine

What.
    You heat up your cookie then smoke it from a pipe?
  • sK0pe said:

Alaric728 said:

Why no love for a good molasses cookie? Those things are like crack-cocaine

What.
    You heat up your cookie then smoke it from a pipe?
  • Abby Cadabby is adorable as fuck.
  • Starfox said:

Is that a lemon bar? My mom makes them with a graham cracker crust bottom and crumble top... A1!

• Let me tell you why I was a fat child.

My father was the manager of the maintenance department for the Sunshine Biscuits bakery. We had an unlimited supply of Hydrox and all of the other wonderful Sunshine products (the only one that is still branded as such, post-Keebler buyout, is the Cheez-It).

My grandfather owned a delivery route for motherfucking Tastykake. We would help him with his truck, and then get free reign over the "stale bin" (products that sat on the truck too long or were returned by stores, with dates very close to or just past their "best by" dates).

When Keebler bought Sunshine, they closed the factory down, and my dad started commuting to Long Island, where he held the same position at... Entenmann's. He had the ability to call a phone number, and the next day, there would be a nearly crate-sized box of baked goods left in our driveway.

When I was 15, my grandfather retired, and my dad moved on from the cookie business. I got skinny. I think we have never actually *purchased* a dessert product, so we didn't even know how, and it stopped coming into the house.

---------------------
    As for other topics on this show:

- There is a guy who livestreams his workspace. The indie developer who is making Just Shapes & Beats does day-long livestreams where you just watch his screen and face as he makes the game.

- I consider myself a heavy user of my computer, but definitely don't need the full power of a real multi-bay NAS. Here's my setup: 4TB of internal data storage on HTPC. 4TB external drive plugged into the USB 3.0 port on my router. HTPC does a periodic sync job to the router's external. There is also a Carbonite subscription actively backing up everything on the HTPC (with the annoyance that you have to manually tell it to back up video files. I will be switching when this contract is up).

This setup works really well aside from it being slow as shit. I don't run anything over the network though. If a file transfer is going to take a long time, I just let it run.
  • Daikun said:

Nukerjsr said:

When it comes to Peanut Butter Cookies, I'm spoiled because I only like the PB Cookies that I make. Most Peanut Butter Cookies are way too dry and hard for my taste. So I make ones that are chewy and semi-soft. They will start to crumble within a few days, but they are amazing. I'll give the recipe if requested.

I'd like the recipe, please. I keep trying to make them, but they always turn up flat and I'm not sure what I'm doing wrong.
    No problem! My experience, don't buy the peanut butter cookies with the fork-indents. Those are gonna be some hard, dry-ass cookies.

-1 Cup of Smooth Peanut Butter
    -1/2 Cup of Splenda Blend Brown Sugar (My choice out of experience baking these for my health-conscious family)
    -1 egg
    -1 tsp. of vanilla extract
    -1/2 tsp of baking powder.

1. Mix until fully incorporated. The cookie mix should have a tacky, but moldable feel without sticking to your fingers too much.

2. Form 20 to 24 cookies that are 1 1/2 to 2 inches in diameter on an oiled baking sheet.

3. Bake for 9 minutes at 350.

4. Cool for 15 minutes, enjoy. These are very soft and surprisingly moist, but it really gives the illusion of eating sugary peanut butter rather than dried peanut powder.
  • Ilmarinen said:

Starfox said:

Is that a lemon bar? My mom makes them with a graham cracker crust bottom and crumble top... A1!

'Tis.
  • edited August 2015
    Wow. That recipe is surprisingly easier than I was expecting. (The recipe we normally use is a bit more complicated.)

Thanks, Nuker! BTW, does it matter if we use "natural" peanut butter (i.e. no added sugar or anything) or the more mainstream brands like Jif or Skippy?
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • edited August 2015
    Matt said:

Entenmann's

I have access to baked goods of superlative quality.

I have had the finest confections mankind can produce.

I am extremely demanding in my desired dessert profiles.

But goddamn if I don't love me some fuckin' Entenmann's chocolate frosted donuts.

-----------------

Also, my favorite cookies are my mom's linzer tarts. They're pretty much the best thing ever.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • Daikun said:

Wow. That recipe is surprisingly easier than I was expecting. (The recipe we normally use is a bit more complicated.)

Thanks, Nuker! BTW, does it matter if we use "natural" peanut butter (i.e. no added sugar or anything) or the more mainstream brands like Jif or Skippy?

I always used Skippy or the store's generic smooth peanut butter. I've never tried it using natural peanut butter, but I imagine you'd have to add some additional sugar.