This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Boston Police Arrest Two, Seize Weapons After Threats Against Pokémon World Championship

edited August 2015 in Conventions
http://www.buzzfeed.com/claudiakoerner/boston-pokemon-police-arrests-weapons#.vgj5jjBGKy

Two men were arrested Friday and charged with weapons offenses after police said threats were made over social media against people attending the Pokémon World Championships in Boston.

Private security from the Hynes Convention Center first alerted authorities on Thursday about threats of violence on social media toward attendees of the championship, according to a statement the Boston Police Department.

Police, private security, and members of the Boston Regional Intelligence Center began to investigate, and after a few hours two men were stopped trying to enter the convention center.
https://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2015/08/23/police-arrest-two-heavily-armed-men-who-threatened-pokemon-event/F4Ozm06zDSZCXqT0YSpXnK/story.html
Kevin Norton, 18, and James Stumbo, 27, were arrested in their Saugus hotel after police found a cache of weapons in the car they had driven from Iowa to Boston for the weekend’s festivities, police said.
Slightly different description of events, but basic facts seem clear.
Post edited by AaronC on

Comments

• I've been following this earlier when I saw the initial spurts of information on twitter.

I have a hard time imagining any reason they brought all that with them from Iowa, considering all the other circumstances around the events, for any reason other than violence.

This certainly means the Hynes/BCEC bag searches aren't going anywhere anytime soon...
  • The BCEC security team does a good job, they take it really seriously. The article says it was attendees who initially notified the event staff who notified the BCEC, which is how it will always be.

There is no reason to do what they did unless the intended violence.
  • They are either the stupidest potential mass-murderers or the stupidest NRA assholes ever. Glad the police did a good job with this one.
  • That is so many kinds of fucked up that I don't know what to say.
  • RymRym
    edited August 2015
    If they were just your regular old chucklefucks, they wouldn't have actually brought the guns and ammunition with them to the tournament. They would have posted the pics, haha that's funny, and then driven there without them. The cops would have reacted the same way, found no weapons, and a reasonable person could have concluded that they were just morons.

They brought the weapons with them, and plenty of ammo.

Also, armchair-psych wise, the dynamic duo look like a classic student/mentor relationship. The angry forever-alone redpiller and his apt pupil.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Why is it that redpillers don't seem to have actually taken the red pill, and just took a blue pill made for assholes?
  • Mother fucking Team Rocket.
  • I vote for tighter gun control. Like maybe, you're not allowed to own a gun. The end.

No Pokemon trainer should have to fear a hail of bullets whilst cock fighting.
    Gabe four years ago.
  • That is among my favorite PA comics.

Those two are among my least-favorite gun owners.

Even if they had no actual intentions to do anything malicious, they gave no reasonable person a reason to believe so. And they blatantly violated some rules.

From what I see, I agree with Rym:
    Rym said:

If they were just your regular old chucklefucks, they wouldn't have actually brought the guns and ammunition with them to the tournament. They would have posted the pics, haha that's funny, and then driven there without them. The cops would have reacted the same way, found no weapons, and a reasonable person could have concluded that they were just morons.

I did kinda lol when the one article said it was a DPM5 though, leet-ifying DPMS.

One way you can tell these kids were morons: they bought a DPMS AR-15.