This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rocket League

Comments

• I just lost to a guy who supposedly is the founder of VQ something or other? And his team beat Kronovi's 2-0? The shit I just saw, I tend to believe him...
  • Starfox said:

I just lost to a guy who supposedly is the founder of VQ something or other? And his team beat Kronovi's 2-0? The shit I just saw, I tend to believe him...

How did you even get in that kind of match? Was matchmaking broken, or are you really good?
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

I just lost to a guy who supposedly is the founder of VQ something or other? And his team beat Kronovi's 2-0? The shit I just saw, I tend to believe him...

How did you even get in that kind of match? Was matchmaking broken, or are you really good?
    Ahahahaha, haha. Oh man. No.

I have no idea how it happened. Us guys all seemed about the same talent level. Two enemies didn't even matter, this one guy was dribbling through the air. Final was 7-1 I think? But honestly dude could have scored every 15 seconds or so.
  • Hmm, that's a bit lame. I like the Takumi but it seemingly a lower tier car comparatively. It's sorta silly that the Twisted Metal car is possibly one of the highest tier cars. I did play with it a while ago and was doing really well with it but didn't really pay much mind to it. Might be worth switching to Hotshot.
  • The devs haven't actually ever said the cars are all identical, right? We were just assuming they are :/
  • Starfox said:

The devs haven't actually ever said the cars are all identical, right? We were just assuming they are :/

Yeah but I assume they carried over the dimensions of the older game.

I use the Venom and felt the turn radius was long, I just assumed it was for every car so all I do is power slide to turn.

However a wide variety of cars are used at the pro level, I doubt it would affect the low tier play whatsoever if it is not or barely noticeable to pro level players.

Some of those tests are also lab specific, how many times do you hit the ball head on with another player? I almost always am dodging, flying or angling the shot.
  • Starfox said:

The devs haven't actually ever said the cars are all identical, right? We were just assuming they are :/

They did. They said beside a "negligible" hit box difference there was no difference in cars.

Source: https://mobile.twitter.com/rocketleague/status/621181614773571588

There was another answer tweet that I can't find on my phone but that was where they said it was negligible.
  • Starfox said:

The only thing we know is different is the hitboxes, which are slightly different, but not enough to really effect play.

Observational tests seem to come in two varieties - those whose results agree with each other, and those that exist. I'm betting that if the differences exist - which I'm extremely skeptical of without any extracted data, statement from the devs, or both - they're slight enough that it doesn't really matter.
  • There should be zero difference between cars. Even if cars are different shapes, the shape of the hitbox does not need to match the shape of the car. They should all have identical hitboxes.
  • edited September 2015
    Apreche said:

There should be zero difference between cars. Even if cars are different shapes, the shape of the hitbox does not need to match the shape of the car. They should all have identical hitboxes.

Hitboxes don't match the shape of the car, they're all rectangular boxes. There is a size difference, but it's such a small difference that it has no effect on play despite the insane, absurdly improbable scenario you're already thinking of.

The other reason I'm extremely skeptical of these tests to get the different stats of cars - they almost always list Sweet tooth as having different stats to Merc, but Sweet Tooth is essentially just a skin, mechanically it's just a Merc.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • edited September 2015
    Churba said:

Apreche said:

There should be zero difference between cars. Even if cars are different shapes, the shape of the hitbox does not need to match the shape of the car. They should all have identical hitboxes.

Hitboxes don't match the shape of the car, they're all rectangular boxes. There is a size difference, but it's such a small difference that it has no effect on play despite the insane, absurdly improbable scenario you're already thinking of.

The other reason I'm extremely skeptical of these tests to get the different stats of cars - they almost always list Sweet tooth as having different stats to Merc, but Sweet Tooth is essentially just a skin, mechanically it's just a Merc.
    Yeah, at least one dev comments and just says like "neat!". One of the moderators talks a bit about how none of the differences are big enough to give any decisive advantage in any situation.

And as I'd said before, they've gone on the record as saying no differences will give an advantage.

EDIT: I think also the guy who ran the tests backtracks on some of the information saying it might be just a placebo effect with some of the "differences".
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Churb, do you have any reference for those just being skins? I really want to believe the cars are all identical...
    MATATAT said:

they've gone on the record as saying no differences will give an advantage.

Hopefully there ARE no differences.
  • Starfox said:

Churb, do you have any reference for those just being skins? I really want to believe the cars are all identical...

Not the cars in general, just Merc and Sweet Tooth. Since Sweet Tooth is a PS4 exclusive to the point where it doesn't even show up on PC, they just re-skinned the Merc - that way, it performs identically, and to PC players during cross-platform play, they can just show a Merc, while PS4 players who have the skin can see the appropriate car.
  • A couple nights ago I had a really bad night. I think I only won two games all night. Last night was the opposite, I think I only had two losses.
  • edited September 2015
    Neat interview.

I guess there was even discussion on Battle Cars about cars being different. But overall interesting to see pro players saying "it doesn't matter".

And that montage, damn...
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Man there are hardly any ranked games on the OCE servers any more, even normal games have reduced by a third.
    Hopefully doesn't die off.
    The better choice would have been to not separate normal games from ranked games and make them all ranked.
  • Am I the only one that throws my money at Psyonix whenever a DLC comes out?
  • Am I the only one that throws my money at Psyonix whenever a DLC comes out?

Yes. Why are you paying money for nothing? You could use that money on many other things. Delicious breakfast?
  • How not to defend a goal

• This is me. Every other time I've attempted this, it has been an own-goal.

https://gfycat.com/WelltodoColorlessHackee
  • Sharpen those snooker skills
  • Would anyone be interested in playing a few rounds later today? May have an hour or so to mess about.
  • Lt. Chibi said:

Would anyone be interested in playing a few rounds later today? May have an hour or so to mess about.

Possibly, add me on steam (same username)
  • Lt. Chibi said:

Would anyone be interested in playing a few rounds later today? May have an hour or so to mess about.

If I'm in game then send me an invite/message/whatever. I'm in the Geeknights steam group somewhere if we aren't Steam-bros.
  • Is there not a way to add people from recent games as steam friends? I go to recent players and I only see CS GO.
  • @Lt. Chibi and I are playing now
  • I wasn't able to play yesterday, but I can play today.
  • Apreche said:

I wasn't able to play yesterday, but I can play today.

I'm down for tonight. Message me on steam. I have a mumble server running on superpichu.org if you want to use it.
  • After I clean my apartment and eat dinner.