This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rocket League

Comments

• Apreche said:

After I clean my apartment and eat dinner.

Yeah I'm still at work.
  • Apreche said:

Am I the only one that throws my money at Psyonix whenever a DLC comes out?

Yes. Why are you paying money for nothing? You could use that money on many other things. Delicious breakfast?
    Because I want to support the developers even more than I have. I really enjoy using the Dominus. With about 110 hours in the game, I feel like they deserve a few more of my dollars. $20 for the base game and $4 for each DLC is a steal.
  • Apreche said:

Yes. Why are you paying money for nothing? You could use that money on many other things. Delicious breakfast?
    Because I want to support the developers even more than I have. I really enjoy using the Dominus. With about 110 hours in the game, I feel like they deserve a few more of my dollars. $20 for the base game and $4 for each DLC is a steal.
    http://frontrowcrew.com/geeknights/20070926/special-014-this-is-not-a-charity/

• Don't let your dreams be dreams
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

How about this: I enjoy the game, and I enjoy playing with each car, including the DLC ones. I enjoy being able to customize my car however I want. I believe that my $4 is well worth that experience. I don't think everyone should buy it, because it is not worth it to everyone. For me, it is.
  • You're not allowed to like things Scott doesn't like.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

How about this: I enjoy the game, and I enjoy playing with each car, including the DLC ones. I enjoy being able to customize my car however I want. I believe that my $4 is well worth that experience. I don't think everyone should buy it, because it is not worth it to everyone. For me, it is.
    Well, if you like to buy pixels, I'm selling them. How many do you want, and what are you willing to pay?
  • Apreche said:

Well, if you like to buy pixels, I'm selling them. How many do you want, and what are you willing to pay?

People like things you don't like. Deal with it.

• That is amazong.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

That depends on if I enjoy the arrangement of pixels or the way I interact with them. Do you ever go to a movie? That's only pixels and an audio feed, you can't even interact with them.
  • How is buying Rocket League DLC because you like how it makes your car look different than buying a shirt because you like how it looks? It's all just superficial.
  • How is buying Rocket League DLC because you like how it makes your car look different than buying a shirt because you like how it looks? It's all just superficial.

A shirt does something. If you buy a shirt, fold it, put it in a drawer, and never wear it, that would be the equivalent.
  • Apreche said:

How is buying Rocket League DLC because you like how it makes your car look different than buying a shirt because you like how it looks? It's all just superficial.

A shirt does something. If you buy a shirt, fold it, put it in a drawer, and never wear it, that would be the equivalent.
    How is that equivalent? That would be equivalent to buying the DLC and never using it.
  • Apreche said:

How is buying Rocket League DLC because you like how it makes your car look different than buying a shirt because you like how it looks? It's all just superficial.

How is that equivalent? That would be equivalent to buying the DLC and never using it.
    Wearing a shirt keeps you warm, and is a necessity for going outside in public in many places. It serves a purpose. Putting a hat on your car does absolutely nothing but advertise to the world that you are someone who has so much extra money you are willing to spend it on absolutely nothing.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Wearing a shirt keeps you warm, and is a necessity for going outside in public in many places. It serves a purpose. Putting a hat on your car does absolutely nothing but advertise to the world that you are someone who has so much extra money you are willing to spend it on absolutely nothing.
    I still disagree that it amounts to nothing. There is a benefit to things looking nice. Rocket league comes with a selection of cars, so for the sake of the analogy you already own shirts. Any extra shirts bought do nothing but look different.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

I still disagree that it amounts to nothing. There is a benefit to things looking nice. Rocket league comes with a selection of cars, so for the sake of the analogy you already own shirts. Any extra shirts bought do nothing but look different.
    If I could own one shirt and wear it every day, I would. But the more shirts I own, the less frequently I have to do laundry. There is utility in owning more shorts that is worth money.

There is no utility whatsoever in a car looking different in a video game that is worth paying real fucking money for.

Imagine walking up to a Dig-Dug machine. You put in a quarter. If you put in another quarter, the game will change Dig-Dug to be a different color. How can you possibly say that someone who puts in an extra quarter is anything but a moron, or so wealthy they just don't give a fuck? I can excuse maybe doing it just once to see what happens out of curiosity. More than that, though...
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

If I could own one shirt and wear it every day, I would. But the more shirts I own, the less frequently I have to do laundry. There is utility in owning more shorts that is worth money.

There is no utility whatsoever in a car looking different in a video game that is worth paying real fucking money for.

Imagine walking up to a Dig-Dug machine. You put in a quarter. If you put in another quarter, the game will change Dig-Dug to be a different color. How can you possibly say that someone who puts in an extra quarter is anything but a moron, or so wealthy they just don't give a fuck? I can excuse maybe doing it just once to see what happens out of curiosity. More than that, though...
    The Dig-Dug analogy doesn't really work because that is a single player experience, no one else sees the different color Dig-Dug, and even ignoring that, do you not like things to look nice? Can you honestly say you have never spent any amount of money on something so that would look nicer to you?
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

The Dig-Dug analogy doesn't really work because that is a single player experience, no one else sees the different color Dig-Dug, and even ignoring that, do you not like things to look nice? Can you honestly say you have never spent any amount of money on something so that would look nicer to you?
    I spend money on say, a poster to hang in my apartment. You might think, AHA! I've got you now!

No. A poster is a physical and limited good. It has intrinsic worth in that it is a physically limited resource. There are only X of them on earth. It had to be physically printed by a machine on an actual piece of paper.

I have never paid money for such a thing in digital form. You are in effect giving someone real money to flip some bits on a hard disk somewhere. I have never done this, and I never will. I pay real money for Netrunner cards. I will never spend money for HearthStone cards.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Apreche said:

I spend money on say, a poster to hang in my apartment. You might think, AHA! I've got you now!

No. A poster is a physical and limited good. It has intrinsic worth in that it is a physically limited resource. There are only X of them on earth. It had to be physically printed by a machine on an actual piece of paper.

I have never paid money for such a thing in digital form. You are in effect giving someone real money to flip some bits on a hard disk somewhere. I have never done this, and I never will. I pay real money for Netrunner cards. I will never spend money for HearthStone cards.
    Do you pay for digital music? That's also just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. Hell, buying the core game itself on Steam could be considered just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. You buy it anyway because you want to use that product. I want to use the Rocket League Back to the Future DLC to drive the Delorean around and pretend Doc Brown got transported into a car-based soccer game.
  • Do you pay for digital music? That's also just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. Hell, buying the core game itself on Steam could be considered just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. You buy it anyway because you want to use that product. I want to use the Rocket League Back to the Future DLC to drive the Delorean around and pretend Doc Brown got transported into a car-based soccer game.

Paying for access to information is not the same as paying for someone to run an UPDATE statement in a database for you.

Someone has a carefully arranged set of trillions or quadtrillions of bits. I can't possibly guess that configuration, but if I knew it I could play Rocket League. I will pay them to tell me what that arrangement of bits is.

Someone has a database. There is a row in one table in that database which is associated with my username. I'm not going to pay them to run an UPDATE statement and change another column in that row from 0 to 1. They can go fuck themselves.

Would you pay to put a post in this forum? No, that's stupid as shit.

Would you pay if I offered you a backup of every post in this forum? That's a lot of valuable and interesting data. You just might.
  • Apreche said:

Do you pay for digital music? That's also just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. Hell, buying the core game itself on Steam could be considered just someone flipping bits on a hard disk somewhere. You buy it anyway because you want to use that product. I want to use the Rocket League Back to the Future DLC to drive the Delorean around and pretend Doc Brown got transported into a car-based soccer game.

Paying for access to information is not the same as paying for someone to run an UPDATE statement in a database for you.

Someone has a carefully arranged set of trillions or quadtrillions of bits. I can't possibly guess that configuration, but if I knew it I could play Rocket League. I will pay them to tell me what that arrangement of bits is.

Someone has a database. There is a row in one table in that database which is associated with my username. I'm not going to pay them to run an UPDATE statement and change another column in that row from 0 to 1. They can go fuck themselves.

Would you pay if I offered you a backup of every post in this forum? That's a lot of valuable and interesting data. You just might.
    How does an extra car not count as access to information? Also buying something on Steam basically amounts to:
    boolean doesScottOwnRocketLeague = true;
  • Apreche said:

How does an extra car not count as access to information? Also buying something on Steam basically amounts to:
    Sure, but that bit changing results in me accessing valuable data. Changing boolean doesScottOwnDLC results in nothing worth paying for.
  • Apreche said:

Apreche said:

Sure, but that bit changing results in me accessing valuable data. Changing boolean doesScottOwnDLC results in nothing worth paying for.
    In your opinion.
    I'm not trying to convince you to buy the DLC, my point is that it's a little harsh to call everyone who does an idiot.
  • Scott doesn't think music should have lyrics. Seriously, it's not worth even debating these things that only apply in his own world and in his own head.
  • The argument broke down from "You shouldn't pay someone to flip bits" to "You shouldn't pay someone to flip bits I don't also want flipped."
  • Pegu said:

The argument broke down from "You shouldn't pay someone to flip bits" to "You shouldn't pay someone to flip bits I don't also want flipped."

Hey that means I gained a tiny bit of ground, which I'm counting as a small victory XD
  • edited October 2015
    I literally skipped past that conversation because I can predict 100% what it was like and how it turned out.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • Scott doesn't think music should have lyrics. Seriously, it's not worth even debating these things that only apply in his own world and in his own head.

Music shouldn't have stupid lyrics. If the lyrics are bad they distract from the music itself and make the song hard to listen to. But having good lyrics really doesn't help a song all that much. This is why foreign pop music is the best. You get all the quality of the music without being turned off by the awful lyrics. Hell, half the time people don't even know the lyrics to songs in their own language. Look at how many people love the Rolling Stones, but have to argue about what Mick Jagger is saying.
  • Counterpoint: anything by Cole Porter. e.g.
  • This tangent couldn't possibly get further from Rocket League. At least we haven't hid Godwin's Law. yet.