This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokemon Go!

Comments

• Well since none of them are team rocket I just went with blue because it was my favorite color and my girlfriend chose it because the leaders name is Blanche. They all seem pretty derpy.
  • Naoza said:

I realized blue team was the correct team when I saw what the teams stood for. Blue = intellect, red = strength, yellow = believing what your gut tells you regardless of evidence. So it's really a choice between blue and red. For me, that means blue.

Blue=Ravenclaw Red=Gryffindoor Yellow=Hufflepuff

• Naoza said:

I realized blue team was the correct team when I saw what the teams stood for. Blue = intellect, red = strength, yellow = believing what your gut tells you regardless of evidence. So it's really a choice between blue and red. For me, that means blue.

Team Rocket = Slytherin
    I want to believe.
  • Naoza said:

Naoza said:

Team Rocket = Slytherin
    I want to believe.
    Yep, I still wish I could have chosen Team Rocket.
  • Naoza said:

Naoza said:

Team Rocket = Slytherin
    I want to believe.
    Yep, I still wish I could have chosen Team Rocket.
    100% would have blasted off again.
  • I guess those kids that set up other Pokemon Go players to get robbed at a Pokestop were probably Team Rocket though.
  • Is their no PvP in this game? Cause if not this is fucking stupid and I'm bored of it.
  • There is no PvP. They are adding trading at some point, but that is the only direct interaction. Indirect interaction is limited to battling people's previously-stored pokemans at gyms, or teaming up with players to catch by having someone drop an attraction lure (everyone benefits from the item usage for 30min).

I would have chosen team blue, in all honestly, expect for the fact that the gym I can click on from my house was already red at the time, and I figured sticking with the local color would help me train up faster. The game doesn't quite work like that it seems.
  • edited July 2016
    there will definitely be trading and such, but not sure about PVP specifically.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Is their no PvP in this game? Cause if not this is fucking stupid and I'm bored of it.

This!
  • App deleted, fuck this.
  • That's weird, because the teaser video/trailer on page 1 includes a scene that very specifically looks like direct battling between players. Was that feature scrapped?
  • It's motivating me to go walking after work, so I'm all about it. I've lived in the same area for almost 7 years and have yet to check out the nature trails. The battling will come eventually.
  • Went out walking last night after the gym as a cooldown and literally every single person I saw was playing pokemon. Including this dude.

• UncleUlty said:

That's weird, because the teaser video/trailer on page 1 includes a scene that very specifically looks like direct battling between players. Was that feature scrapped?

That's a gym battle. Right now you can't just walk up to somebody and start a battle. There are talks about it being in the works, but right now they're just trying to get the limited features they have stable.
  • App deleted, fuck this.

You funny.
  • Matt said:

The game doesn't quite work like that it seems.

Yeah, training is bullshit. The only real benefit to hitting up a gym your team owns is the opportunity to take a spot if one is open. It's objectively better to find a rival gym and try to take it.

• I intend to level up now so that when they do add cool stuff later, I'll have access to it. Games like this are usually easier to progress in if you started earlier.
  • The battery drain on this game is horrendous, though. And, having a Samsung phone like I do, using a normal phone powerpack only keeps my phone from draining as fast rather than charging it. I may need to build a ghetto Samsung quick charger.
  • Matt said:

The game doesn't quite work like that it seems.

Yeah, training is bullshit. The only real benefit to hitting up a gym your team owns is the opportunity to take a spot if one is open. It's objectively better to find a rival gym and try to take it.
    Not quite - you can open more spots by increasing the rep of a gym, which you can do by winning training battles against your team's gyms. There's a yellow gym near me with 4-5 pokes on it, while my other local blue has maxed at three.

Of course, if you aren't guaranteed a win, you still get punished - the only diff is that your pokes will drop to 1-5 HP if they lose, rather than all-the-way fainting like they do with enemy gyms.
    Rym said:

I intend to level up now so that when they do add cool stuff later, I'll have access to it. Games like this are usually easier to progress in if you started earlier.

True that. It seems like they've learned lessons from ingress and it's legendarily poor player retention, but I honestly don't trust them enough not to level up as much as possible just to avoid the potential of getting ingress-style fucked over again.

The battery drain on this game is horrendous, though. And, having a Samsung phone like I do, using a normal phone powerpack only keeps my phone from draining as fast rather than charging it. I may need to build a ghetto Samsung quick charger.

That is weird. I've got a samsung, and my pack charges my battery faster than it can drain it, without quickcharging, even off the regular 5 volt 1 amp port, rather than the 2.1 amp port.
  • So apparently PokemonGO had full access to my Google account, seems to be an iOS thing.
  • edited July 2016
    I really doubt that Pokemon Global Offensive will ever have direct battling.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • So apparently PokemonGO had full access to my Google account, seems to be an iOS thing.

Now that's something I didn't think of. Previous theory was that it was related to the "allow less secure apps" setting.
  • edited July 2016

I really doubt that Pokemon Global Offensive will ever have direct battling.

I saw a reddit thread the other day where someone suggested that while that may be less likely, they could potentially just make Pokemon Dojo's just for battles since they wouldn't have to change too much from the gyms code, vs coding in a whole new battling system.
    Churba said:

So apparently PokemonGO had full access to my Google account, seems to be an iOS thing.

Now that's something I didn't think of. Previous theory was that it was related to the "allow less secure apps" setting.
    Yeah I was surprised it wasn't something like that or just malware apk's, but this time it isn't even Android's problem. Funny enough, it doesn't even show up in my "allowed apps" list at all.
    Post edited by ninjarabbi on
  • Churba said:

So apparently PokemonGO had full access to my Google account, seems to be an iOS thing.

Yeah I was surprised it wasn't something like that or just malware apk's, but this time it isn't even Android's problem. Funny enough, it doesn't even show up in my "allowed apps" list at all.
    Turns out it was nonsense anyway - the token P-got was getting does not have full account access, despite being labeled as such in some(but not all) google permissions pages. There was a way for that token to be exchanged for an uberauth token, but 1)apparently, there was no way for the app to actually do so, at least by itself and 2)they're patching it out ASAP regardless.

As a further note, what happened was some dude found the "full account access" listing in his account access page and panicked, but didn't have the knowledge to investigate it further, even if he'd tried. Which he spread, which caused a much larger panic, and is all going in my folder for "Examples of why UI and UX design are super fucking important you guys seriously."

• Okay, dirtiest shit I've done so far - When you stick a poke in a gym, it's automatic 2K prestiege, which they have to pull down. Some guy was trying to take the gym near me, so every time he blanked it, I just stuffed in one of my trash pokes that I haven't ground down yet before he could react. He had to fight almost my entire roster before I finally let him take it proper.

Also, someone got a new name, since he graduated from being an eggy bastard when he - somefuckinghow - managed to beat someone at the last gym he got stuck in:

• The one (same team) gym fight I had was unusably slow and laggy. It's not my phone, it might be tmo connectivity, but I was probably the servers being swamped. I wish there were a training mode that I could try before wasting resources on the real thing.

I'm not sure what a single-digit level trainer is supposed to be doing against gyms with double-digit trainers and their pumped up pokes.