This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Super Mario Maker

2»

Comments

• edited September 2015
    That is sort of one thing that I have been trying to experiment with. I enjoy making hard levels that require precision. But they almost never do well. Alternatively I've tried making easier levels but I fee like they're just garbage. And I kinda feel like that is reflected in the plays. Overall I think I only have like two stars. I'm not really sure what people are looking for.

I'll probably just go back to making hard levels and say fuck it.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • edited September 2015
    The best thing to do is make levels with a concept. That fuck you level was really hard, but it had a unifying concept. That concept was clever bob-omb usage. Unifying concept is the first key to a good level. Pick a Mario mechanic and build a level around it.

How about some Boo action!

First, have a little easy area with a boo or two. Maybe a big Boo or a spinning Boo circle to make it interesting. Then make something tricky where Mario has to snake left and right. That totally sucks when there are Boos around and you have to keep turning your back to them! Then just step it up once or twice more. Maybe combine boos with some other things. Forcing players to go back and forth to avoid Boo goes well with cycling enemies like thwomp, spinning fire sticks, etc.

Another good idea, if anyone needs one. Combine flying cheep-cheep with pretty much anything. First make your standard flying cheep-cheep level with the long bridge and everything. However, people are used to beating these levels by non-stop running. Throw something into the level that either prevents non-stop running, or makes it very difficult without extreme precision. For example, what if there where chain chomps tied to the bridge in some areas? I guess Mario has to jump! Shame if jumping over the chain chomp left Mario face to face with a flying fish.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited September 2015
    Yeah I started a couple themed/concept levels a while ago but was lacking in tools at the time, so maybe I might revisit them or just take some of the better parts into a new level.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • You could always dabble and make these levels too, Scott. :P

Join us.
  • Rochelle said:

You could always dabble and make these levels too, Scott. :P

Join us.

I would buy the game in a second if I had a Wii U. It's not worth the price of a Wii U just to get this game.
  • The ironic part of this video is that every stage this guy dives into features elements that aren't available in the Mario Maker toolbox.

It's an incredibly polished product. It feels like everything that's ever been in a Mario game has been put in there, but stuff is missing left and right. I first noticed this when I wanted to create a land-based Cheep Cheep level in Mario 3, but there was no "Big Bertha."

I haven't gone past original Mario levels much at all, because it's a big challenge to make a level that doesn't suck. The limited tools of Mario 1 make it an easier sandbox to play in. I'll get to 3 and World eventually.
  • That's just sick.
  • It took him 9 hours to beat his own level.
  • Rochelle said:

That's just sick.

• This man is a monster
  • "Nintendo, Nintendo. You re-release the same games every generation. Could we have something new and refreshing?"

• F829-0000-0066-E98B
  • Best reaction to beating that level.

• I take my hat to that epic playthrough.
  • FAF9-0000-005B-58A9 -Hot Blooded
    5CC5-0000-0089-ECDE -It's Raining Men.
  • edited October 2015
    Giant Bomb's Dan Ryckert and ex Giant Bomb and current Kotaku newsman Patrick Klepek are having a Mario Maker feud. Dan makes levels and so far, Patrick beats them. Dan has taken off all of his weighted clothes and used his full power to make the ultimate Klepek trap, the Ryckoning. They have bet each other $100 to go to a charity depending on the outcome. They are also opening it up to everyone else who would like to toss in money. This is the best thing.
    giantbomb.com/articles/super-mario-maker-the-giant-bomb-vs-patrick-klepek/1100-5284/

This is the best feud of the year, better than anything in pro wrestling or MMA.
    Post edited by Hitman Hart on
  • Some new updates are coming.
  • Checkpoints and conditional powerup boxes!
  • Checkpoints are huge.
  • I find it hard to believe that conditional powerups weren't in already. And just like... default.
  • I find it hard to believe that conditional powerups weren't in already. And just like... default.

Default wouldn't be very good because it might enable people to break certain aspects of your level.
  • The Klepocapalyse 90C3-0000-00DA-97AF
  • Nintendo continues to release "event courses," which are additional Nintendo-designed levels, and I gotta hand it to them. This has kept me coming back to Mario Maker. I pop that disc in, play the new levels, then hang around to see what other highly-rated stages look fun.