This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Basketball!

2»

Comments

• Are we talking about the same guy? This last year, he shot 39% from the line. Disastrous. He wouldn't even attack the basket because guys would just foul him.

Also, he's first team all-NBA bad teammate.
  • The last few minutes thing is true of any sport if you're not into it but the game is close. I mentioned the last second 3 pointer because I remember many Bulls vs Pacers games being decided by whether or not Reggie Miller could hit that last crazy shot.
    I don't agree with 1point layups and dunks because it negates the effort sometimes required to get the ball past a defender. Would we remember Jordan's amazing body control in the air if he was only scoring one point with those shots? Would he even bother to try, or would he have pulled back for 2 points on a normal jump shot? It would take away some of the flavor of the game.
  • edited September 2015

The last few minutes thing is true of any sport if you're not into it but the game is close. I mentioned the last second 3 pointer because I remember many Bulls vs Pacers games being decided by whether or not Reggie Miller could hit that last crazy shot.
    I don't agree with 1point layups and dunks because it negates the effort sometimes required to get the ball past a defender. Would we remember Jordan's amazing body control in the air if he was only scoring one point with those shots? Would he even bother to try, or would he have pulled back for 2 points on a normal jump shot? It would take away some of the flavor of the game.

It's true that the end of any competition is the outcome is still very uncertain. However, in basketball that is the ONLY time it's interesting. It's boring as fuck all the other times. A hockey game that's 1-goal apart is very exciting near the end when they pull the goalie, but the rest of the game was still awesome.

If you raise the rim, then it's ok for it to be worth 2 points. It's just too easy to put the ball in the net when you are very close to it. Getting around defenders is not difficult. They're not allowed to mess with you or they'll be charged with a foul. Every NBA player drives to the net and either makes it or draws a foul.

If it was a contact sport where you had to get the ball around someone who is allowed to just push you to the ground, then yes, you can make a layup worth 10 points if you want. The number of points awarded should be relative to the difficulty. Shooting the ball into a net from far away is much more difficult.

Also, if you raise the rim you can get rid of the goaltending rules. If someone can get up and goaltend a shot that is headed for a rim that far off the ground, then they deserve to deny you those points.

Protip: In NBA Jam if you are "on fire" goaltending rules are disabled for you. Don't bother playing defense. Just wait by the net and catch the ball on the way down. Also, always be on fire.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I would argue that basketball is boring to you most of the time because you don't like the game.
  • I found a really fun game that was played on my birthday in 1996 completely by accident, it came up as an end screen suggestion on another youtube video I was watching. You may expect that the Hawks will get blown out but it's a close game. Enjoy!
  • Starfox said:

Are we talking about the same guy? This last year, he shot 39% from the line. Disastrous. He wouldn't even attack the basket because guys would just foul him.

Also, he's first team all-NBA bad teammate.

I'm talking about years ago, 2009 - 2010, don't know what's happened since then.

Probably remembering some Finals games.
  • Yeah, he was good then. That was 5 years ago.

This year his last game featured an unguarded 8-second backcourt call. His season ended on this:

Benched.

Also, don't forget "I haven't played defense in a couple of years."

Who has him now? The Kings :)
  • The NBA D-League Season has begun. They stream the games live on YouTube.
  • I can't believe anyone even knows the name of a D-League team.
  • Apreche said:

I can't believe anyone even knows the name of a D-League team.

I'm a lot more willing to follow and be interested in the D-League because I can legally watch their games for free either live or archived for when I have time and energy to enjoy it.