This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Patreon Launches

Comments

• January Q&A is up!

The theme this time was "advice."

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4407056
  • Oh boy this is gonna be rich
  • In a followup to my question, Formula 1 is apparently considering this nonsense instead of a proper covered top

Felipe Massa has continued to race after his accident, he's still signed to Williams as far as I know, but he missed the rest of that season when he got hit. Apparently there is soon going to be a test for CTE(the bad stuff that results from concussions) that can be done on living people. Sports are going to get real interesting when that happens.
  • Isn't that thing just going to hurt visibility?
  • Apreche said:

Isn't that thing just going to hurt visibility?

Probably. I've heard people say that the metal thing at the top would actually get in the way when they're approaching Eau Rouge. F1 seems to enjoy using an obtuse solution that is their very own instead of doing something that involves common sense.
  • In a followup to my question, Formula 1 is apparently considering this nonsense instead of a proper covered top

I guess the issue with the top is extra weight (which shouldn't really be a problem as they are making F1 slow with limiters).

The main concern may be getting out of a car as quickly as possible, after a crash or if something catches fire.

Anything but a completely transparent top and sides that can be instantly ejected is going to hurt visibility as Scott said.
  • Rym's Rants 006, this time on some friends who have made poor life choices.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4450528
  • Rym said:

Rym's Rants 006, this time on some friends who have made poor life choices.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4450528

I don't think it's a poor life choice, it may just be that they haven't had access to a good shower head for a good trial period.

Having said that I have lived in share apartments and houses where I've used normal shower heads. You don't need to do the acrobatics described to shower, just use a well soap laden and drenched loofah.
  • Yeah, I was going to say, this episode has not convinced me like others have. Soap and a wash cloth have always been my go to and I get the added bonus of not getting anxiety when I use a shower that is not my own.
  • I'm with Rym. New shower heads are so cheap and good, I replace mine every few years. As soon as it gets even remotely leaky or blocked or weird spraying, €30 makes it all okay again.
  • I tend to clean them, rather than replacing them, unless they're actually broken or sub-par, but that's just my stupid issue about not throwing away functional stuff. I've replaced the shower head in near every place I've lived, but for two - The current place, since it was built to spec and all the fittings are pretty decent, and Student housing where I barely had a brass razoo.

Also, thread sealing tape - Get to know it, learn to love it, keep a roll in the house toolkit. Never plumb things without it.
  • Churba said:

I tend to clean them, rather than replacing them, unless they're actually broken or sub-par, but that's just my stupid issue about not throwing away functional stuff. I've replaced the shower head in near every place I've lived, but for two - The current place, since it was built to spec and all the fittings are pretty decent, and Student housing where I barely had a brass razoo.

Also, thread sealing tape - Get to know it, learn to love it, keep a roll in the house toolkit. Never plumb things without it.

What do you use to clean them? I've used vinegar with mixed results.
  • What do you use to clean them? I've used vinegar with mixed results.

A good soak in CLR and a brush on the outside usually does the job for me.
  • A little something for all backers. The full audio of the Child's Play "Gamers Give Back" Hospital Tour panel at PAX.

https://www.patreon.com/posts/4540631

I'm sure it will be posted by Child's Play at some point, but I have it here now, so...
  • Rym, did you read the latest newsletter?
  • Rym, did you read the latest newsletter?

I get that rant from Scott basically every day. ;^)
  • You should have heard how mad he was that 12 people bought GeekNights T-Shirts when I first put them back on sale.
  • It seems to have had no effect, as the Patreon price doesn't seem to have decreased whatsoever. Anyone who is going to listen to me had already listened to me earlier.
  • I am getting more than $5/month joy out of making Rym say ridiculous shit at the end of the podcast.
  • Matt said:

I am getting more than $5/month joy out of making Rym say ridiculous shit at the end of the podcast.

Why are you so easily amused?
  • Nobody tell him.
  • Every time Scott gets mad about the Patreon, it brings $5/month of joy to my heart.
  • Apreche said:

Matt said:

I am getting more than $5/month joy out of making Rym say ridiculous shit at the end of the podcast.

Why are you so easily amused?
    Can't talk. "Ow, My Balls" is on.

• I'll be honest, the newsletter put me on the fence for the Patreon. While I love hearing Scott complain on the podcast about people giving him monies. Hearing him do it in the newsletter sounded really sincere. I can empathize with feeling like I'm scamming people for not having earned whatever they are giving me. Laziness is a large part of why I've not removed myself from the donors yet.
  • Scott has always been uncomfortable with fans.

He is always very on-edge when people come up to us at cons to tell us how much they love the show, and always tells them that they're "too into it," that listening to the archives is a horrific waste of their lives. I remember a Zenkaikon years ago where he was berating this kid who asked us for our autographs.

I get us all of our convention gigs, mostly because Scott will never sell himself, never highlight his real skills or accomplishments, and generally pulls a Dead Piro act on the fact that he's been doing a regular talk radio show semi-professionally for over a decade.

As for the actual Patreon, I'm slowly doing more and more non-GeekNights content that's exclusive in there. (Stay tuned for the Monthly Movie with Rym and Emily). The money itself is all going in a pool, and when such a time comes that we can do something amazing with that money, it'll fund the project.

• And see, now I'm even more torn. I genuinely enjoy geeknights. I don't care in the slightest about getting my name at the end of the episode and specifically donated in such a way as to not participate in that, I'm donating for the additional content. I view it as a merchant transaction.

Maybe Scott's analysis of the cost vs benefit is different than mine, but Monthly Movie with Rym and Emily and Rym's rants are worth $5/month to me. That said, apparently it costs both $5/month and feeling bad for Scott. I just have to decide if that apparent price increase is still worth it.
  • Geeknights Paywall :-p
  • Just do whatever you want. If you want to give them some money, do it. You don't need to justify yourself. And good lord, don't feel bad for Scott because he didn't want you to give him $5. His best argument is that there are a ton of better creators out there who really could use the money, but if those are just not your jam, and you want to enjoy whatever Patreon stuff Rym is putting up there, you go for it.

Personally, when I get bored of typing silly things, I'll move my Patreon money around to other creators.

GeekNights is better than Scott gives it credit for. I have a very good method for telling whether a podcast is entertaining: I drive 2 hours each day, and most podcasts make me fall asleep. A very few good ones do the opposite and keep me awake. I wouldn't consider myself a "fan" (of any podcast, really) but I've done a shitload of semi-professional media stuff over the years, mostly writing, and it's a god damn thankless world our there. People deserve some bucks for being content creators.
  • I didn't feel bad for Scott at all until the newsletter. Feeling like I'm scamming people is effectively my day job. It's rough, I hate being given gratitude for doing incredibly simple things like restarting a remote server or grepping through a log file. Like it's fine if people just say thanks, but often times I'm somehow a hero and have "saved the day" for something incredibly simple.

I hate when people do that, because I either feel like I'm being condescended to or scamming these people. Turning right around and doing that to Scott makes me a hypocrite.