This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Would You Do With $1.5 Billion?

Comments

• I wouldn't bother with the address changing or hiding myself.
    I'm more concerned about randos finding me and making my life hell than I am about my friends or family turning shitty. I've read plenty of stories about people getting bombarded with mail, phonecalls, and in-person visits. My overall tolerance for other people is low, and I would definitely max out pretty quickly.

Fortunately, New York permits winners to remain anonymous, so flying low shouldn't be that hard.

I'll point out that many of those shitheads who won and lost it all were in the same boat as you. "I'm smart and capable! I've got this!" And then the money breaks them.

I'm just hedging bets against myself, because while I think I could handle it, I also know my failings.
  • Even in a state where winners can't remain anonymous, there's a loophole. Form a trust, and have the lawyer representing the trust go and claim the winnings.
  • I won $10,000 by not playing. I chose not to buy $10,000 worth of tickets.
  • edited January 2016
    I would retire to a life of middle class leisure. Instead of working for money 40 hours a week I would probably spend 40 hours a week on car projects.

EDIT: And I wouldn't scoof at taking amtrak to NYC to visit friends.
    Post edited by George Patches on
  • I won $4 by actually winning $4 on one of the two tickets I bought. Net $0.
  • I would retire to a life of middle class leisure. Instead of working for money 40 hours a week I would probably spend 40 hours a week on car projects.

Uh, why wouldn't you just use one of your cars? You would be able to afford to pay for parking, no hassle.
  • 1. Pay off all remaining debts for us.

2. Figure out immediate family debts, pay them off.

3. Quit job, move closer to Rochester, to be closer to family.

4. Build an awesome home, integrating the best in green tech. House would have custom rooms for art, gaming/socializing, etc. Bathrooms would be tricked out.

5. New vehicles, replacing current ones. Sensible though. No Ferraris over here.

6. Make sure big chunks go into safe, long term financial investments so we can live as the idle wealthy.

7. Replacing stuff with higher quality stuff. PCs, TVs, clothing, etc. Not over the top, but just updating and replacing older stuff.

8. Travel. Hell, with that much, probably travel with family or friends.

9. Gifts to charities and political movements that are worthy causes.

10. Buy the rights to Sanctuary and republish it.
  • 10. Buy the rights to Sanctuary and republish it.

Live action TV remake set in the US in the 80s. s/Chinese Triads/Mexican Cartels/g.

• 7) Put about half ($300 million) of the remaining winnings into stable long-term diversified funds to beat inflation and profit gradually.

Serious question: is a third of a billion too much to just dump in e.g. Vanguard? Google finance says net assets for VFINX are about 27 billion. I don't know about index funds, but quickly putting 1.5% of a stock's market cap into it would make people go crazy, right?
  • You would have a huge implementation shortfall if your money purchased any stocks at once.

You'd more likely have a money manager to put the assets "under management." They'd maintain a diverse portfolio of several kinds of assets and handle that part for you.
  • Starfox said:

7) Put about half ($300 million) of the remaining winnings into stable long-term diversified funds to beat inflation and profit gradually.

Serious question: is a third of a billion too much to just dump in e.g. Vanguard? Google finance says net assets for VFINX are about 27 billion. I don't know about index funds, but quickly putting 1.5% of a stock's market cap into it would make people go crazy, right?
    You don't put that shit in just one fund. Diversification.

Also, it's not too much. If you dump a bunch of money into one stock/fund, you own it! Buy enough stock in a company, congratulations! It's now your company.
  • After giving it some more thought, I'd hire different artists I like for different sort of concept or cover albums. Like a folk punk all stars album of Woody Guthrie covers and stuff like that.
  • Greg said:

After giving it some more thought, I'd hire different artists I like for different sort of concept or cover albums. Like a folk punk all stars album of Woody Guthrie covers and stuff like that.

And now I want to see David Bowie and/or Bruce Springsteen rocking on the roof of Sweet JP's Transam as it roars down a road.
  • Banta said:

Greg said:

After giving it some more thought, I'd hire different artists I like for different sort of concept or cover albums. Like a folk punk all stars album of Woody Guthrie covers and stuff like that.

And now I want to see David Bowie and/or Bruce Springsteen rocking on the roof of Sweet JP's Transam as it roars down a road.
    In which case you need to see this

• Apreche said:

I would retire to a life of middle class leisure. Instead of working for money 40 hours a week I would probably spend 40 hours a week on car projects.

Uh, why wouldn't you just use one of your cars? You would be able to afford to pay for parking, no hassle.
    Because driving in the vicinity of NYC sucks and the only reason I do it is because it's way cheaper for 2 people than taking the train.
  • Apreche said:

Because driving in the vicinity of NYC sucks and the only reason I do it is because it's way cheaper for 2 people than taking the train.
    But without a job, you can drive in at fuck any old time and avoid any kind of rush our or traffic.

Fuck, you can put your car on boat and avoid all the traffic.
  • At that point, just take a private jet to JFK, then a helicopter to Manhattan.
  • Helicopter?

You can have a fleet of rigid airships.
  • Don't ever visit anyone. Fly EVERYONE to your island every time you want to play some games.

Want to see a concert? Hire the band to perform it there.
    Want to see Hamilton? Fund a Hamilton production on the island.
  • Three winning tickets. I can't say anything about the 2 non-Californians but it was a 19 year old punk kid who got the winner out here.
  • Dromaro said:

Three winning tickets. I can't say anything about the 2 non-Californians but it was a 19 year old punk kid who got the winner out here.

It's a good time to be a drug dealer in that kid's hood.
  • Apreche said:

You don't put that shit in just one fund. Diversification.

Also, it's not too much. If you dump a bunch of money into one stock/fund, you own it! Buy enough stock in a company, congratulations! It's now your company.

It's the entire S&P. Pretty diverse.

And you're not going to own it, no matter what.
  • I'm surprised I haven't seen The Barge mentioned.

For me, besides the standard of paying off my friend's debts and funding retirement for my parents, I have two different paths I would have to choose from.

First is the classic path of the Idle Rich.

1.) Buy a cool mansion (and of course outfit it with everything from a fancy media room to secret passageways).
    2.) Get a Delorean and a black 1967 Chevy Impala.
    3.) Travel the United States, then the world.
    4.) Various charitable donations combined with passive aggressive dedication plaques that berate the people who should have funded the projects in the first place, rather than wait for a billionaire to bail them out.
    5.) Great Gatsby style parties with cool people forever.

And the other option is that I contact Netflix, and fully fund a Netflix Original Series version of the Wheel of Time. The conditions include that Robert Jordan's wife and Brandon Sanderson come on as consultants, ensure that the show is staffed with people who are interested in seeing it done right, and of course, that it doesn't get cancelled and it gets to run all the way through to the end.
  • Wheel of Time would need to be HEAVILY adapted and redacted to work as a show. I'd cut several characters out entirely.
  • Yeah the actual conversion of it from Book to TV is part of "seeing it done right". I figure you could do it in half as many seasons as there are books. Books 7, 8, 9, and 10 could theoretically be done in one season. LOTS of extraneous characters could be combined - you only need a handful of different Aes Sedai, instead of introducing a different character in every scene.

I think it would be a cool challenge to try and make it fit the new format, while staying true to the spirit of the work.

There was a pilot episode that they tried last year, just so that the studio could keep the TV rights. It covered the prologue of the first book, and starred Billy Zane as Ba'alzamon/Ishamael. It was pretty bad.
  • I'd drop ALL the thiefcatcher characters entirely, cut fully 80% of all Nyeneveeveuevevee's dialoge/scenes, 90% of the inns...
  • 1. Pay off my debts
    2. Reasonable-sized house that I can afford, fill it with nice but not excessive things
    3. Pay off parent's debt
    4. Pay off other immediate family's debt
    5. Set up immediate family for life of relative luxury, including nice healthcare and such
    6. Invest in business space and employees and start a game studio
    7. Pay off friend's debts
    8. At this point, at least half of whatever's left is probably going to charity, the rest into several different bank accounts.
  • Tell no one except laywers for first year. Tell immediate family members with some sort of binding legal document within the next three years. Don't change lifestyle, continue to work hard, donate to charities, invest and never have to worry about money.
  • Andrew said:

continue to work hard

You are the problem.
  • I would be fucking bored out of my mind if I stopped working for the rest of my life. Worst case, I just live my life making weird art-house games or something.