This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

What Would You Do With $1.5 Billion?

13»

Comments

• I'd work hard...

on being an expert skiier and art house game designer. Also surfing.
  • Andrew said:

I would be fucking bored out of my mind if I stopped working for the rest of my life. Worst case, I just live my life making weird art-house games or something.

Obviously you do SOMETHING. But fuck if you ever go to an office. And fuck if you do any single thing for 8 hours a day, 5+ days a week. Wide variety, moderation, no schedule. Just freewheel it with no cares.
  • I'd need to find something I liked to do, but honestly I have no idea what.
  • Apreche said:

Obviously you do SOMETHING. But fuck if you ever go to an office. And fuck if you do any single thing for 8 hours a day, 5+ days a week. Wide variety, moderation, no schedule. Just freewheel it with no cares.

I'm sorry that I've decided to chase what I would like to do in life, regardless of financial situation?

• Surprise! There are a multitude of different lifestyles that fulfill people's lives!
  • Andrew said:

Surprise! There are a multitude of different lifestyles that fulfill people's lives!

Surprise! Some of them are harmful!
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Surprise! There are a multitude of different lifestyles that fulfill people's lives!

What's harmful about continuing to do what you love?
  • edited January 2016
    Greg said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

There's something harmful about sacrificing your life for the benefit of a corporation more than is necessary to survive. Even if you enjoy it, it's still harmful to yourself and to society as a whole.

If someone was an alcoholic, and I said they should stop harming themselves, are you going to say "What's harmful about them doing what they love?"
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • really....
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

There's something harmful about sacrificing your life for the benefit of a corporation more than is necessary to survive. Even if you enjoy it, it's still harmful to yourself and to society as a whole.
    Okay. I'll let cancer researches know that they should quit their jobs because it makes someone else money too. I'll make sure Bill Gates knows he doesn't need to do all that work against malaria because it's not necessary to survive. I'm certain that Paul McCartney will stop touring because it's extremely profitable for EMI.
  • Greg said:

Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

Okay. I'll let cancer researches know that they should quit their jobs because it makes someone else money too. I'll make sure Bill Gates knows he doesn't need to do all that work against malaria because it's not necessary to survive. I'm certain that Paul McCartney will stop touring because it's extremely profitable for EMI.
    They shouldn't quit. They just shouldn't harm themselves in the process. If a cancer researcher is putting in Silicon Valley work hours, they should go home and see their family. If Paul McCartney is on tour, he's only working every few days when he's got a show. The rest of the time he is doing whatever the fuck he wants, because he's Paul McCartney.

Bill Gates worked way too hard. How much do you think his kids saw of him growing up? His billions can't buy that time back.
  • His billions into memory research can give him the memories of raising his children :-p
  • I'd probably also buy an old underground military base or missile silo and turn it into an underground mansion.
  • Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

Greg said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

They shouldn't quit. They just shouldn't harm themselves in the process. If a cancer researcher is putting in Silicon Valley work hours, they should go home and see their family. If Paul McCartney is on tour, he's only working every few days when he's got a show. The rest of the time he is doing whatever the fuck he wants, because he's Paul McCartney.

Bill Gates worked way too hard. How much do you think his kids saw of him growing up? His billions can't buy that time back.
    Who said I was harming myself?
  • Scott seems to think that drinking carbonated water is harming oneself.
  • I would totally work hard in my own brewery which I would build with my ludicrous amounts of money. That's a more realistic way to operate a brewery than actually trying to brew professionally.

Quitting my job would end the conflict of interest that prevents me from operating my own charcuterie establishment. Then I would open a bar specializing in pretentious beer and cured meats. Meadhall style, naturally.
  • I imagine you amicably strutting around like a While of Time innkeeper slapping backs, telling tales, and dispensing pithy advice.
  • Apreche said:

Andrew said:

continue to work hard

You are the problem.
    Code stuff for fun, or "work leisurely".
  • Rym said:

Scott seems to think that drinking carbonated water is harming oneself.

The mayor must have brainwashed him.
  • I would totally work hard in my own brewery which I would build with my ludicrous amounts of money. That's a more realistic way to operate a brewery than actually trying to brew professionally.

Quitting my job would end the conflict of interest that prevents me from operating my own charcuterie establishment. Then I would open a bar specializing in pretentious beer and cured meats. Meadhall style, naturally.

I would probably open an speed shop and start building weird low displacement twin turbo V8s for fun. Maybe someone would buy them, I don't give a fuck.

I would probably open an speed shop and start building weird low displacement twin turbo V8s for fun. Maybe someone would buy them, I don't give a fuck.
    That is almost exactly how mountune got started.
  • After taking care of my family and friends, putting some money aside for investments, giving to various charities, etc. I'd love to build an awesome comic shop and board game store with a great indy selection of books and games, lots of tables for people to play, and a chill comfortable atmosphere where people can come and hang out.
  • You could have game devs making board games exclusive to your store.

You could get GRRM to DM for you on tuesdays.
  • SWATrous said:

You could get GRRM to DM for you on tuesdays.

You'd only need to hire GRRM to come in for the first Tuesday. None of your PCs would survive the first session.