This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Over the Garden Wall

Emily and I just watched the miniseries Over the Garden Wall on Hulu. It's a one-shot of 10 short episodes.

Imagine a sort of Waiting for Godot surreal atmosphere, two protagonists unsure of their pasts on a journey they don't quite understand, a deeply sinister undercurrent, and a theme you can really chew on.

The end is satisfying. It tells its story. Along the way, it pays fantastic homage to old cartoons like this one:

I can't recommend this show enough.

Comments

• I watched it as it premiered on CN in 2014. It's a great addition to anyone's Halloween collection.

It also doubles as a great Thanksgiving special, since those are pretty rare.
  • Yeah, watching it night by night was great. That singing on the riverboat scene was great.
  • edited January 2016
    I got a really strong recommendation on this from another friend as well, I'll give it a watch soon.
    Post edited by Linkigi(Link-ee-jee) on
  • I've seen half of it, but not the first half. It was random episodes including the end.
  • That fucking pumpkin town. That, and the beast. And auntie whispers.

Basically everything about this show. It moves fast, every episode is very distinct from the last one, and it keeps you guessing while maintaining a very solid overall theme.
  • A marathoned it a few months ago. One of the best pieces of animation I've seen in a while.
  • It was fun watching it while it aired. I will state that it is pretty much nightmare fuel for small children.
  • It's in my cue.

How did you fit a whole cartoon series in there?

• edited January 2016
    Also, you guys might wanna check this out. Creator Patrick McHale worked on this short with his wife, which has a very similar atmosphere to OtGW.

Post edited by Daikun on
  • Apreche said:

It's in my cue.

Oh homophones, you daft bastards.
  • Apreche said:

It's in my cue.

Oh homophones, you daft bastards.
    WHAT did you just call me?

• Apreche said:

USB.

Vegetable village is a great random starting point. Really digging all those classic animation homages.
  • If the narrative were any darker, I'd have climbed into my mortal shell and never return.

It's pretty damn good lads. The voice cast is brilliant! Love the subtle plot devices. Definitely watch it.

No one suspects the drum.

Blind dates can be rough.

Kylo Ren before the breakup.

• I'm not a fan of the ending cause I'm not really a fan of that storytelling device, but fuck is the mini-series pretty amazing.
  • edited April 2016
    Cartoon Network has uploaded the full OtGW soundtrack in a YouTube playlist.

Also check out the video descriptions for info and commentaries.
    Post edited by Daikun on