This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Star Wars: The Force Awakens

STAR WARS has returned, and we have things to say. From the cinematic homage to Poe's thirst, we review Star Wars VII: The Force Awakens tonight on GeekNights. You may recall our ancient Star Wars episode as well. In STAR WARS news, STAR WARS: Rebellion awakens from Fantasy Flight, and STAR WARS: Episode VIII is delayed (not that many people realized) to Christmas 2017.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Oh, and the thing at the end?

• Rym, now you're spoiling the ending so we don't get the dawning realization of horror!

Also fuck yeah 84th Street AMC, that shit was my jam back when I lived in New York.
  • Scott brought up cool characters.

There is one character where I thought "I want to know who this badass is": Maz.
  • pence said:

Scott brought up cool characters.

There is one character where I thought "I want to know who this badass is": Maz.

Effectively the same character as this badass.

https://i.imgur.com/HluQess.jpg
  • I saw links to that, but didn't watch it until now. I thought someone actually animated something, but that is much better.
  • Yeah, we interviewed the Otaking that made that.
  • Rogue One is taking place before New Hope, it's supposed to be a Heist Movie about the Death Star.
  • The red arm thing is 100% getting handled in a comic, not a future movie. I doubt they'd go back and retread the comic material in the newer movie just for sake of explaining.

I'm of the mind that getting the reboot out of the way gives Disney free reign to make Ep VIII as new and different from any past Star Wars movie as they'd like. I simply can't see director Rian Johnson making an Empire remake. You bring in JJ to pay homage. Rian Johnson is the guy you bring in to blow shit up and get a fresh take. That director choice alone is all I needed to settle on this point of view.
  • In addition to the comic, it looks like there might be a C-3PO red arm backstory level included as bonus DLC for the LEGO Star Wars: The Force Awakens game coming in June.
  • Matt said:

The red arm thing is 100% getting handled in a comic, not a future movie. I doubt they'd go back and retread the comic material in the newer movie just for sake of explaining.

Yep, it was announced last year - C-3PO #1, It's a one shot that will come out at the very end of march, via Marvel.
  • I loved how in the movie the explanation for 3PO having a red arm is that he has a red arm now. It would have been PERFECT if they'd just left it exactly that way. There NEEDS to be a thing like this in Star Wars. Something that stirs pages and pages of fan speculation and then has a totally benign explanation (or none.)
  • Speaking of Star Wars, my Chewie got a two day makeover this past weekend and is looking pretty suave if I do say so myself...

• Everything will always get explained, because Star Wars invented merchandising. But if they keep it out of the movies, we're cool.