This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Empirically effective methods of convincing argumentation

This study recently popped up on r/changemyview. It attempts to pinpoint the specific differences in arguments that make them more effective at changing a person's opinion. This has always been a subject of interest for me, and I'm guessing, others on the forum. While the forum's linear chronological design* is not one that fosters well-structured & effective group discussion (more like everyone yelling over each other in a room, amirite), I'm curious what methods, non-anecdotally proven to be effective, if any, you intentionally use to be convincing in general conversation and argumentation. Please include links to abstracts/studies.

*As a side note, Metafilter has a wealth of surprisingly coherent and focused discussions despite its format, which I suppose speaks to the quality of its moderation shaping the demographic.

Comments

• edited February 2016
    I largely lean on the appeal to emotion if someone is unconvinced by actual facts.

I look forward to reading this paper when I can.

I've long been following the Cultural Cognition Project, a body of research that concerns itself with public assimilation of empirical information. The publications are numerous, but the general theory points to groups of people assessing information along the lines of risk perception. Rather than assess the validity of the information, populations assess the risk factors of accepting that information; most of the perceived risks center around destabilizing certain central commonly-accepted tenets of social structure. Information that challenges those tenets is perceived as risky, and the group "defends" against it.

Trustworthiness of the messenger plays a vital role in communicating that information. An "other" will have an almost impossible time getting someone to understand information they perceive as posing a risk to some central social tenet - they're treated as an enemy. A trusted messenger can convince people far more readily - they're the Trojan Horse of reason.

So my actual long-term strategy involves becoming a "trusted messenger" and using gentle guidance and ego-stroking manipulation to convince people. It's slow work.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • There might not be any point in saying this, since everyone already knows this, but just for the sake of the thread being comprehensive...

I am the Socrates. Rym is the Calicles. I attempt, but obviously fail, to delivery only empirical truths. I put no effort or thought into the delivery method, or how I can better convince the recipient. If they won't accept the truth then either they are not worth my time, or I'm wrong and they're hopefully going to show me how wrong I am.

Rym is the opposite. He wins, and convinces many people to vote for him in the vote who wins game.

At least at the end of the day, when I go home in defeat, I know that I'm not an evil lying jerk like some people.
  • edited February 2016
    Apreche said:

I am the Socrates. Rym is the Calicles. I attempt, but obviously fail, to delivery only empirical truths.

I am Chrysippus.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_philosopher_are_you

I am Aristotle.

More to the point of the thread, I don't have a method I've worked out where I can convince people of anything on a reliable basis, although that is not from a lack of trying. I've reached a point where I just blame it on my face, the way I carry myself, or some other physical quantity that I can't identify that just makes people disinclined to listen to what I have to say.

The key for me is making that fact work to my advantage. ;-)
  • Dromaro said:

http://www.gotoquiz.com/which_philosopher_are_you

I am Aristotle.

More to the point of the thread, I don't have a method I've worked out where I can convince people of anything on a reliable basis, although that is not from a lack of trying. I've reached a point where I just blame it on my face, the way I carry myself, or some other physical quantity that I can't identify that just makes people disinclined to listen to what I have to say.

The key for me is making that fact work to my advantage. ;-)

According to that quiz, I'm also Aristotle.
  • I'm apparently Sartre/Camus, followed closely by Aristotle.

Not that any of this means anything.
  • I got Sartre/Camus.
  • W.v.O. Quine / Late Wittgenstein
    A more recent perspective upon truths, but I haven't really read much of either of these writings.
  • It was hard to make it through all the spelling errors in those questions, but I'm apparently most similar to Aristotle.
  • Surprise surprise I got Nietzsche.

There is no provable absolute truth. At the bottom of every philosophy there is some inspired assumption which the philosopher defends with reasons they have sought after the fact. There is no rational principle behind our world. The most noble goal in life is to create art. To live well is to be art. If life is a dream, "I will dream on!
  • I Kant believe it.
  • Even Euclid be like "Whoah, this tangent."

• I took the quiz like three different ways. I just hate the whole thing. Had a philosophy minor. Bad questions and responses make my head hurt.
  • edited February 2016
    The Socratic method actually works pretty well, instead of making points ask questions that lead the person towards the answers or at least analyze their own position and see the flaws :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • I dunno man I just showed up to make a joke about a dude who laughed himself to death watching a donkey eat figs.
  • Churba said:

I dunno man I just showed up to make a joke about a dude who laughed himself to death watching a donkey eat figs.

I don't get it figs aren't poisonous to donkeys but they do attract flying foxes which can harbour the hendra virus and pass it onto the donkey.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2016
    I find that I determine as quickly as possible whether the person with whom I disagree is able to be convinced by anything. If I don't believe it is possible, I either use them as an example for convincing others or write them off.

Otherwise, I basically try rational discourse and evidence. If it's clear that they are effectively immovable by this method, then I fall back immediately on heavy rhetoric.

Of course, there are two very different kinds of argumentation. In one case, I am attempting to spread truth. While I could well be convinced of a different truth in these cases, it isn't likely or expected. E.g., the efficacy of chiropractic.

In the other case, I am attempting to basically merge my notions with the other person's notions to come to some third way. I am pushing for what I generally hold to be correct, but am also synthesizing the other person's ideas into my own immediately. The goal is consensus or divergence: either defining a mutually agreeable position or identifying the core disagreement and focusing heavily on that. E.g., whether or not execution is a morally acceptable punishment for large scale war crimes.

I do have citations to back up the first part of this: my use of intractable people as examples for others.

There are tons of case studies on the rough phenomenon where a person believes something more strongly the more evidence they are presented against. This one is probably my favorite: a doomsday cult in the 50s, infiltrated by researchers and observed as the moment of their doom prophecy came and went without the destruction of the Earth. It is an excellent example of so-called "motivated reasoning:" wherein people will reliably rely on increasingly ridiculous rationalizations for a motivated belief rather than admit it is wrong. They'll even incorporate direct evidence to the contrary into the core of their belief. They basically can not be convinced by anything.

I use that as the basis of my interaction with them. But, only if there is an audience. As soon as I see someone falling into that pattern of rationalization, I push them HARD. I use rhetoric to fluster them a little, then hit them with rapid-fire evidence against them. I'll let them rebut two or three of those before throwing even more at them. It forces them to build a fairly complex rationalization framework in a hurry, and in front of witnesses (so that it cannot easily be retracted or walked back).

Inevitably, the rationalization will include some ridiculous elements, or else an admission a basis in something socially unacceptable like open racism. If it doesn't immediately, I keep pushing until they're backed into a corner and it happens. One that kernel of ridiculousness comes out, I attack it mercilessly.

They're never convinced. But the witnesses sometimes are.

I don't have a citation for this further result, but I believe there are a few factors at play.

1. The witness is not as motivated in the belief, but by not being attacked directly themselves, they do not fall into the reflexive trap of rationalizing it. The person with whom I argue in this case is basically a sacrificial lamb to convince the others. An argumentation voodoo doll.

2. The witness fears the social pressure of agreeing with the straw man rationalization (e.g., admitting that they're racist), and even if they are not fully convinced, they hide their belief for fear of social consequences. I suspect, but can not prove, that people who do this are more pliable to eventual convincing, since they are not able to express the rationalizations openly and thus do not cling to them as powerfully.

So yeah... I have one specific set of case studies and related research saying that people will fall back onto increasingly absurd rationalization when directly confronted with evidence. I use that knowledge to achieve that state, believing myself that it is effective in convincing third parties.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • sK0pe said:

Churba said:

I dunno man I just showed up to make a joke about a dude who laughed himself to death watching a donkey eat figs.

I don't get it figs aren't poisonous to donkeys but they do attract flying foxes which can harbour the hendra virus and pass it onto the donkey.
    I dunno man, but apparently this Chrysippus chap thought it was hilarious.
  • We find that persuasive arguments are characterized by interesting patterns of interaction dynamics, such as participant entry-order and degree of back-and-forth exchange, [...] the interplay between the language of the opinion holder and that of the counterargument, [... and] stylistic choices in how the [original] opinion is expressed.
    It is well-recognized that multiple factors are at play in persuasion. Beyond (i) the characteristics of the arguments themselves, such as intensity, valence and framing [1, 2, 4, 6, 23], and (ii) social aspects, such as social proof and authority [7, 10, 33], there is also (iii) the relationship between the opinion holder and her belief, such as her certainty in it and its importance to her [44, 45, 54, 59].
    In response to Rym:
    Our results also show that it is useful to include links as evidence—an interesting contrast to studies of the backfire effect: “When your deepest convictions are challenged by contradictory evidence, your beliefs get stronger” [8, 32, 36].
    However, it hurts to be too intense in the counterargument. The feature with the most predictive power of successful persuasion is the dissimilarity with the original post in word usage, while
    subject self-discrepancy [43, 56].
    They also mention that conversion probability peaks at 3 cycles of argument-response, and falls off quickly, at 6 cycles, the argument is practically unwinnable.

Not surprised that I got Sarte/Camus, followed by Nietzsche. There is an amusing irony in the popularity of the quizzle tangent.
  • RymRym
    edited February 2016
    "dissimilarity with the original post in word usage" is probably the most fascinating thing in there. I wonder if that stems from widely disparate sources of information and general knowledge in typical arguments. There are a good number of keywords and turns of phrase that sharply identify the community from which an argument (really a talking point) arose.

They also mention that conversion probability peaks at 3 cycles of argument-response, and falls off quickly, at 6 cycles, the argument is practically unwinnable

Now I'm looking for old arguments I had where I was using the tactic I described to see how many cycles it took before I turned it around and went for the throat. A soft survey actually seems to say 5-6 is the turning point. I will as I have time try to find a few specific forum arguments and repost them here to analyze together.

Now I'm thinking about arguments I've had where I earnestly was trying to convince the other person, rather than giving up and TRYING to get a rise out of them.

Post edited by Rym on
  • Disparate sources of information and general knowledge are a problem. I find that a bigger problem is quantity of foundational knowledge. Very often I simply can not effectively discuss something with even an amicable individual because I would have to first give them an education to reach an appropriate starting point.

How can I convince someone that all positive integers have a unique set of prime factors, if I first have to explain what a prime number is? Ain't no one got time for that.
  • edited February 2016
    Rym said:

Now I'm looking for old arguments I had where I was using the tactic I described to see how many cycles it took before I turned it around and went for the throat. A soft survey actually seems to say 5-6 is the turning point. I will as I have time try to find a few specific forum arguments and repost them here to analyze together.

I do think format consistency is an important factor here, since frc discussions are chronological-linear as opposed to reddit, which is a popularity-tree. There was a result in the study that said that while more participation overall correlated with greater conversion, reply threads were more successful with a single participant. The nature of FRC is that any discussion is going to have multiple participants, more tangents, and about as effective as yelling over each other in a room.
    Apreche said:

How can I convince someone that all positive integers have a unique set of prime factors, if I first have to explain what a prime number is? Ain't no one got time for that.

I feel that very strongly when getting sea-lioned while discussing feminism. heh.
    Post edited by no fun girl on
  • Apreche said:

The analogy goes deeper! Once you explain primes and show them the proof, they don't believe/realize proofs are ironclad.

"No, really, it's a theorem. It's 100% true forever. Not like we haven't discovered a counterexample yet, more like... literally impossible for it to be any other way."

Backfire'd.
  • Apreche said:

I feel that very strongly when getting sea-lioned while discussing feminism. heh.

I think this is a fundamental and recent problem. Access to information has made it extremely easy for anyone who cares at all to achieve basic proficiency with the lexicon and theory of anything, from feminism to economics.

Instead of a great leveling out of discourse, it appears that a minority will progress deeply into these subjects, while the majority will seek zero new information. The gulf between people who seek information and people who do not widens, and there is no discourse bridging them.

It is deeply frustrating to talk about anything with someone who both has a strong opinion on something, and knows almost nothing about said thing. This is exacerbated by the knowledge that they could trivially learn these things with a few hours of baby's first googling.
  • I am in contact with people who could benefit from a few minutes of Googling.
    I agree I've recently come into contact with an individual in text chat who expects you to tell him everything, literally everything he asks of you, from the temperature in my city to the plot of a movie or the details of a historic event and seems to not understand he can look these things up within seconds.
  • A few months ago someone brought up the movie Zeitgeist in a conversation about whatever. I groaned. He asked me if I had seen it (or the sequels) and I explained this to him:

If you use such a disreputable popular source for your argument, I know you don't know enough about the subject to be worth debating.

If you cared more about the subject, you would do your own further research, and you'd find that either:

1. The popular source is correct, but then you'd find other more rigorous sources to cite instead

Or

2. The popular source is incorrect, and you shouldn't bring it up at all.

The thing with the Zeitgeist movies is that some of the topics interest me, but they are mixed in with standard conspiracy theory stuff, that even if partly correct weigh down the ideas with unneeded baggage.

If you care enough about a belief or idea, you will research it enough to know what sources to cite. If you don't, forget even talking to me about it, let alone expecting me to respond.