This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - Why Twitter Can't Monetize

2»

Comments

• But I like "just Twitter." A significant value is that everything is there. I tweet at Delta, and they respond.

If you have the people, then you can charge the corps money AND ignore their needs.
  • I think you have to make sure you make enough money from people that if all corporations left it wouldn't matter. Then they have no leverage.
  • I think you have to make sure you make enough money from people that if all corporations left it wouldn't matter. Then they have no leverage.

Well, I think the key is to not go public and not take money from VC or other investors. Then you have pressure to grow. We can make a sustainable non-growing business that is employee-owned, non-profit, and/or a benefit corp like Kickstarter.
  • I think other than user subscription, you're going to struggle to have a revenue stream that will support your operating costs.
  • I think other than user subscription, you're going to struggle to have a revenue stream that will support your operating costs.

You would be surprised how cheap the computers are. Operating cost will only be a problem once we have employees and have to start paying taxes and health care and such.
  • With good use of, say, AWS's back-end features, operating costs for something like this could be shockingly low. (Extremely high by human standards, but not by corporate ones). If designed well, you could support it on Patreon.

For real.

I'm not even joking.
  • Also, target markets. Hate to say it, but I'd focus almost entirely on the English speaking world, with POPs just in North America and Europe. Likely just in the US/Canada to start even.
  • Rym said:

With good use of, say, AWS's back-end features, operating costs for something like this could be shockingly low. (Extremely high by human standards, but not by corporate ones). If designed well, you could support it on Patreon.

For real.

I'm not even joking.

Then do it.
  • Rym said:

With good use of, say, AWS's back-end features, operating costs for something like this could be shockingly low. (Extremely high by human standards, but not by corporate ones). If designed well, you could support it on Patreon.

For real.

I'm not even joking.

Then do it.
    Still need the seed money or the backing.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

For real.

I'm not even joking.

Then do it.
    New Patreon goal? ;)
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

For real.

I'm not even joking.

Then do it.
    New Patreon goal? ;)
    You can't afford it. Also, good luck finding someone who will give seed money and expect nothing in return.
  • edited October 2016
    Make it a $5,000 gag pledge.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Rym said:

Twitter's stock is down, they're laying people off, and I notice in the last several weeks that they appear to have nearly doubled their ad push inventory.

Bad times ahead.

Bought at 15.086. Sold at $24.7. It was down near $15 within 2-3 days of selling. Boooooooom.

Yeah I got lucky.