This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

ConnectiCon 2016

Comments

• jtvh said:

Yesterday, I made the recommendation that the Screenings department be discontinued. Kristin and Matt agreed. Ultimately I couldn't put together a program that met the vision for the convention, within the available resources. We could have cobbled together something really basic, but the effort/benefit ratio just wasn't there. So, time to declare victory and move on.

I am sorry to hear that but glad you gave it a good effort anyway. Now if you could team up with Games on film at MAGFest to improve it even more that would be awesome.
  • It's for the best. Better to have nothing than to half-ass it.
  • We'll see how much I can even do with Panels considering how late in the game it is...
  • Rym said:

We'll see how much I can even do with Panels considering how late in the game it is...

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help. Seriously.
  • You guys got a sponsorship from Crunchyroll and can't get screenings together? seems like a no brainer to just ask Crunchyroll for a bunch of anime permissions :-p
  • The problem is lack of a room to put them in.

Also everything's super behind this year. I was ready to open panel submissions in November. I wanted to finish the panel schedule (sans guests) by March...
  • Crunchyroll is awesome. Their "sponsorship" program let us screen whatever we could stream from their site. We did a lot of that last year. But Rym's right, you need a room, and reliable networking with reasonably high data rate, and a good screen/projector or TV.

Generally speaking, it's hard to defend Screenings departments at conventions if all they're doing is showing videos which are either commercially or illegally available online. There's a good case to be made for annotated videos (people doing riff tracks essentially, or expert commentary), but that is a whole different set of work, because the properties that excellent people want to annotate is not always easy to find permissions for.
  • Cremlian said:

You guys got a sponsorship from Crunchyroll and can't get screenings together? seems like a no brainer to just ask Crunchyroll for a bunch of anime permissions :-p

That requires reliable network which we couldn't get a guarantee of.
  • edited March 2016
    So the question then becomes is there a tipping point on bailing out if CTCon drags their feet?
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Greg said:
    Gleaming over the form now, I am going to guess Rym/Scott/Eggs didn't get the Fi AL say since the topic of your Panel can be a Panel.

Side question: would my 3 hour hardcore Nerd Music panel be too long or should I cap it at the hour hour mark when submitting it.
  • Coldguy said:

Greg said:
    Gleaming over the form now, I am going to guess Rym/Scott/Eggs didn't get the Fi AL say since the topic of your Panel can be a Panel.

Side question: would my 3 hour hardcore Nerd Music panel be too long or should I cap it at the hour hour mark when submitting it.
    Not long enough, eight hours or bust.
  • I might tweak and test for a day or two before I widely publicize that they're live. But yeah, go nuts. Let me know if you run into any problems with the new back-end.

I have no opinion of the new back-end.
  • Churba said:

Coldguy said:

Greg said:

Not long enough, eight hours or bust.
    The issue is he has to compete with my 12 hour Bruce Springsteen panel :P
  • I have much dimished space for panels due to the shortened hours. That means long panels will be less likely to get in.
  • Do those of use who wish to continue to work at Pony Ops have to do our re-applications now, or later, or is it just assumed at this point?
  • Rym said:

They would consult us if we were willing to deal with anything above our current station. Do you really, truly want to have any part of anything above or outside of panels, workshops, and special events? ;^)

No. No you do not. It eats away your insides, and if you're not strong, it will do away with you completely.

• I keep fucking seeing this thread and it keeps making me want to make a financially very bad decision.
  • Hold off until next year if you want to make a bad decision. ;)

This year will be fine, but it's a contraction from last year. Wait until better harvests.
  • Neito said:

Do those of use who wish to continue to work at Pony Ops have to do our re-applications now, or later, or is it just assumed at this point?

• Gimme a week or two.

Most likely, Scott will be in charge of wrangling all of you. That means re-upping, hotels, schedule at-con, duties, logistics, etc...

I'll be 100% ignoring that to focus on inter-departmental stuff, panel scheduling, materiel (banner schedules, streaming equipment, etc...).
  • Word. I'm super pumped for CTCon this year (mostly due to missing two cons out of my usual schedule).
  • Is the lack of attention/budget (if I'm reading correctly) for panels and screenings and such have to do with the bigger focus on celebrity guests? It seems like they're trying to go in more of a Comic Con style direction. That seems already pretty represented locally and quasi-locally, though. I like Connecticon's diversity of content more than I like bigger names to get autographs from.
  • It's general budget concerns. The panels department is still getting the bulk of the support available from the con.
  • I admit that I haven't got a lot of basis for comparison as CT-Con is really our only con (we're changing that next year), but it seems to me like for the diversity of content that's present, it's not so expensive. I see people complaining all the time about the admission price, though. Is CT-Con really that expensive especially given that it's in CT? I mean for con-goers.

The convention center alone has got to seriously cost. I remember it being $100 to rent an electrical outlet when we did the Artist Colony a few years back.
  • Are we supposed to be getting confirmation when we submit events? I didn't.
  • Greg said:

Are we supposed to be getting confirmation when we submit events? I didn't.

Shit sucks on the new back-end. I'm confident your submission is in there. It should email you.

But shit sucks.
  • I had a crazy idea for a panel that requires funny reliable people who haven't seen Utena. I just need one more person to fill the panel. Does anyone here fit that bill?
  • How much Utena counts as having "seen utena"?
  • I'm in with having seen like 3 episodes.