This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Monday - BYOC 2016

Tonight on GeekNights, we talk in detail about the best reasonable PC one can buy in 2016. Based primarily on Rym's likely new rig, though cheaper cooling options might be employed in the end. Rym's back (mostly) from the flu, and we consider both Intel's potential backing away from the PC market and the data density changes over the years in Google Maps.

The GeekNights Patreon is going strong, and expect a bunch more videos in the nearing future!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Your Transformer's pop-up book is legit. One of the two people credited is Matthew Reinhart, part of the world-class Reinhart and Sabuda pop-up book team (I wonder where Sabuda went on this Transformers one. Reinhart is working with some new guy).

My wife did a show on them many years ago, and they gave her a bunch of their books. This Star Wars one is the legit shit. That Darth Vader mask page? Giant pop-up of his helmet, with a tiny pop-up of crusty old man Anakin head inside. You can only see the Anakin head if you pause halfway while turning the page!
  • (just finished episode)
    On the topic of PAX booths, cost's haven't increased all that much since the years that you peeked at some sell sheets. If you just want a basic 10'x10' space, it would not set you back "thousands."
  • Matt said:

(just finished episode)
    On the topic of PAX booths, cost's haven't increased all that much since the years that you peeked at some sell sheets. If you just want a basic 10'x10' space, it would not set you back "thousands."

That's surprising. It's expensive to run a PAX. They sell tickets way below true value. They don't have direct sponsorships. I figured that expo space paid for almost everything. Maybe they have the Iron Monkey pricing system.
  • Matt said:

(just finished episode)

Even at East in the Expo Hall proper?

The last sheet I looked at in person was 2011. But I got a quote from someone who had a booth not too much larger than that which was indeed thousands.

If the small slots are so cheap still...
  • 10x10 is a goddamned tiny space. I mean, you're around six feet tall, so just under two of you? Compare that to some of the "smaller" booths at PAX (or don't, cus you don't expo hall, but yeah. That's fucking minuscule.)
  • 10x10 is the booth that a lot of indie games have. Usually these booths have one big tv with a few controllers and then maybe a table to the side. I also see them setup with one or two smaller TVs on kiosks towards the front of the booth. You also get to put your 10xX banner at the top. It's pretty visible if you're on the wide aisle. 10x10 is plenty big enough for the plans we have.
  • If it is anything above the minimum 10'x10' yes you are indeed talking several thousands.
  • Don't be afraid of liquid cooling; I've been using it since 2009 and it's quite reliable. No spills. Super quiet, even under load.

If you want a less blingy NZXT, I highly recommend https://www.nzxt.com/products/s340-white

It's simple, has great airflow, and should keep Scott off your back if you don't put too many fancy LEDs in there.

Also cool if you're thinking small: https://www.nzxt.com/products/manta-matte-white-black

Still, it'd be positively unpatriotic of you to change your cart. It's $1776.
  • THat does have less bling, but isn't there something without a stupid window on the side?
  • I think a window is good to have, for checking the level of dust. Even with good airflow, just makes it easier to visual inspect that all is well.
  • Dazzle369 said:

I think a window is good to have, for checking the level of dust. Even with good airflow, just makes it easier to visual inspect that all is well.

Unnecessary. I opened my cases recently, which have no windows. Oh, look. No dust because I'm not a fuckup.
  • Apreche said:

Dazzle369 said:

I think a window is good to have, for checking the level of dust. Even with good airflow, just makes it easier to visual inspect that all is well.

Unnecessary. I opened my cases recently, which have no windows. Oh, look. No dust because I'm not a fuckup.
    You still had to open it, that's plus 1 more effort than necessary.
  • Apreche said:

THat does have less bling, but isn't there something without a stupid window on the side?

This is what Scott sees in his nightmares.
  • Churba said:

Apreche said:

THat does have less bling, but isn't there something without a stupid window on the side?

At least it's all one color.
  • Apreche said:

Unnecessary.

Having a T-Shirt with anything printed on it, or owning any pants that aren't all the same color, are unnecessary.

• Aesthetics vs function. For a PC case, you can afford both and neither. You're spoilt for choice.

• Churba said:

Apreche said:

Is it bad that I kinda really want one?
  • That picture makes it look really tacky though. Honestly I don't care much about windows since my PC sits tucked next to a desk and you can't really see it, which is sort of the way I want it to be, as out of the way as possible.
  • Rym said:

Apreche said:

Unnecessary.

Having a T-Shirt with anything printed on it, or owning any pants that aren't all the same color, are unnecessary.

• What is wrong with you, Abu Hajaar?

ISIS and AQ and it's affiliates have done an excellent job of producing and editing content. I remember a video from early on in their attack in Iraq that makes the Iraqi army forces look incompetent when their compound is quickly overrun with almost no defensive effot.

What you only find out through research is that the attack took place over hours, the defenders were almost out of ammo, the Iraqi Army then sent a convoy with ammo to the facility, but the ISIS forces sent in a captured HMMVE turned into a VBID and blew to front entrance apart, then stormed the facility. All that by itself would have been pretty impressive field craft, but early in te conflict ISIS wanted to show the Iraqi Army as incompetent, they made a very well done video that completely miss represented what actually happened.

Some of the photoage coming out of Yemen is from drones they are using to film the fight... that's pretty high speed propaganda there. They even put fake HUD like images on the video to make it look 'cooler'.

The truth now for ISIS is that almost all their good fighters are dead, they are loosing ground everywhere and they use foreign volunteers as suicide troops. There are lots of videos now coming from Kurdish forces showing ISIS making one poorly planned wave attack after another resulting in one defeat after another. Yemen, another story, the Saudi's have been getting their asses handed to them on the ground.

• It appears that people were also looking to upgrade

• I didn't realize people even lined up for graphics cards. I just figured they'd preorder on amazon or newegg.
  • I think I have determined a good solid base for my build:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/ComboBundleDetails.aspx?ItemList=Combo.2466098

Any reason I shouldn't snag this?
  • I didn't realize people even lined up for graphics cards. I just figured they'd preorder on amazon or newegg.

You can't when the shit is sold out. Waiting in line at store isn't actually a bad idea.