This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Rym vs Scott: Civilization V

RymRym
edited May 2016 in Video Games
Game 1 went to Rym.

Game 2 is in progress. With commentary.

Scott: China
Rym: Egypt

Pangea Map
2 Civilizations
4 City States
Post edited by Rym on

Comments

• RymRym
    edited May 2016
    Game 2 Part 1
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Game 2 Part 2:
  • Game 2 Part 3:
  • Now it's getting to the good stuff.

I'm surprised at how few of my units you could see. I wasn't trying to position them to hide them, it just worked out that way.

I'm also surprised you didn't even know how to make a Parthenon. I could have made it any time. I guess it was better that I didn't, since I didn't need it. I used those turns to build two awesome military units instead.
  • You are competent Civ V player now. Too late to save your empire against Russia, but enough to force me into game 3.
  • Show idea: beginners guide to Civ 5.
  • Show idea: beginners guide to Civ 5.

How not to play Civ 5 (i.e: the way I played it before).

Just do everything it asks you to do on your turn, and then push next turn as quickly as possible. Always build all the buildings you can in every city. Don't do any military or anything because it's annoying to micromanage bullshit. YOu don't have to manage buildings. They just do their thing. Only think about what to do this turn.

How to win at Civ 5:

Read all the nonsense. Pay attention to everything. Look at every menu. Learn all the rules. Only build things that will actually do something for you. Plan far in advance.

Example: Did you know that marble gives a huge boost to production of classical wonders? If you start near even a single marble resource on the map, you have to change your entire game plan to take advantage of that and build some wonders. There are a whole bunch of other rules just like this rule that you have to pay attention to.

Civ V is just a really complex board game. If you play one turn at a time so you can really think about each and every turn and spend the time to pay attention to all the details, then you can mange it.
  • Apreche said:

Civ V is just a really complex board game. If you play one turn at a time so you can really think about each and every turn and spend the time to pay attention to all the details, then you can mange it.

I have been playing with GMR for a few days now based on your recommendation. It's pretty great! Perfect for busy city people who are never on the same schedule. I like how I can take almost as much time as I want for my turn. The next person probably won't even play for another 24 hours.

If you haven't, you should try playing with the turn timer on—outside of GMR. The timer scales as you play the game (less time in early game and more as you advance in eras and have more stuff to manage). That will really test your knowledge and your ability to adapt.
  • Pride does indeed cometh before the fall.

• My guess is that Scott will take Memphis at a great cost, plunging his civ into unhappiness. He will take a heavy hit on growth, will start running out of gold and start losing science. This will force him to sell units and not be able to continue the war eastward, while Rym gets ahead on technology and stages a comeback.
  • My guess is that Scott will take Memphis at a great cost, plunging his civ into unhappiness. He will take a heavy hit on growth, will start running out of gold and start losing science. This will force him to sell units and not be able to continue the war eastward, while Rym gets ahead on technology and stages a comeback.

I had the Colossus plus mad cargo ships trading with city states Rym can't see. I am rich as fuck. At the start of the war my economy was +12.

Happiness is at +2. Conquering obviously brought it down, but I built a Chichen Itza, no problem. Also, my production level is insane. Workshops in both my cities, plus ironworks in the capital. Egypt doesn't know what a workshop is.

Losing science? I have the great library, national college, and you can see my Academy on the map. Egypt doesn't even know how to make pikes.
  • edited May 2016
    China can be a beast, their specialized Unit and building is crazy good.
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Cremlian said:

China can be a beast, there specialized Unit and building is crazy good.

The paper maker is really OP. Yeah, don't worry about markets. And you can build caravans later. You don't need them now. Your library gives +2 gold. To make it even more cheaty, building the great library gave me a free library, which is actually a paper marker. Great Library +2 gold.
  • edited May 2016
    Yea now you understand why in the other game I was so pissed when James beat me to the Great Library by one turn. (and I was annoyed to be on a continent all by myself)
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • edited May 2016
    Cremlian said:

Yea now you understand why in the other game I was so pissed when James beat me to the Great Library by one turn. (and I was annoyed to be on a continent all by myself)

In the game Rym is showing you, he beat me to the Temple of Artemis by one turn. I would have had even more Chu-ko-nu otherwise. Not that I needed more. Shooting twice in one turn is so unfair.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • It is, you should try Shaka sometime to see the other unfair unique unit.
  • Apreche said:

I had the Colossus plus mad cargo ships trading with city states Rym can't see. I am rich as fuck. At the start of the war my economy was +12.

Happiness is at +2. Conquering obviously brought it down, but I built a Chichen Itza, no problem. Also, my production level is insane. Workshops in both my cities, plus ironworks in the capital. Egypt doesn't know what a workshop is.

Losing science? I have the great library, national college, and you can see my Academy on the map. Egypt doesn't even know how to make pikes.

That is... amazing. Based on Rym's side of the map, I assumed that he was building a more balanced Civ and that you rushed military techs but overextended as a result.

Long live Wu Zetian.
  • This game is also, bear in mind, the game where Scott learned some of the gnosis of Civ. I was relying on his ignorance.
  • No johns Rym.

I kid, I kid.

Seriously though, I think I've repeated the same mistake with a friend over GMR right now. I thought he'd be chump change so I was experimenting with a Petra rush and he's not having any of it. My only hope is to defend myself long enough to start seeing some semblance of payoff from the sunk costs in production.
  • We've many many rounds ahead of the videos. I have to trickle them out to avoid sharing intelligence.

I'm trying to convince Scott to record his own, and give them to me later. Then the series can show both sides.
  • Rym said:

We've many many rounds ahead of the videos. I have to trickle them out to avoid sharing intelligence.

I'm trying to convince Scott to record his own, and give them to me later. Then the series can show both sides.

Scott, this would be very cool. Please do this.
  • Part 05

• Where are Scott's Great Generals he's China and I don't see a Great General in that attack at all!
  • edited May 2016
    Cremlian said:

Where are Scott's Great Generals he's China and I don't see a Great General in that attack at all!

One great general created that citadel, and on that very turn Rym just played, another was born. I had a third, but it died in the first failed war. If I had made the Citadel during the first war, I might not have had to fight this one.

Really, you can't see my shit because of the fog of war. For example, that catapult that died in the citadel was meant just to draw Rym's attention. I knew from the previous war that he seemed to always attack the catapults first. I had another one immediately go into the citadel on the next turn. Meanwhile, my goal here is to destroy all his military units before concentrating on the city itself. Also both my cities are spitting out even more units. My capital has had an Ironworks for quite awhile by this point.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • If you made your own videos along the way....
  • The video sounds hopeful, but its title does not.
  • Rym said:

If you made your own videos along the way....

I made one for the new game. Not much happening.
  • I almost rushed in with my composite bowmen to fuck up your city. Instead I lie in wait of you getting a worker or a settler.
  • Hmmm I just think for China unless that Citadel is like vital, you are better off with the 30% boost the great General gives your army.