This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Comments

• The kill-stealing in battle arena is obnoxious, especially with Focus Sash and Endure being so common.
  • Ikatono said:

The kill-stealing in battle arena is obnoxious, especially with Focus Sash and Endure being so common.

I almost chucked my DS across the room because of that kill-stealing bullshit nonsense.

Also, I've seen Pokes mega-evolve during a Battle Royal, so the mechanic is clearly still in the game somewhere.

• edited November 2016
    Alolan Meowth looks kinda weird.

Also apparently it's a meme

Post edited by MATATAT on
  • I haven't played a proper Pokemon game since Blue on my original Game Boy. I just started up Pokemon Moon. This thread is like reading another language.
  • Matt said:

I haven't played a proper Pokemon game since Blue on my original Game Boy. I just started up Pokemon Moon. This thread is like reading another language.

Dude, it's pretty easy. Just chain to get two Pokemon with 4 perfect IVs, then destiny knot breed them to get one with the right nature (assuming you're passing on the Hidden Ability if it;s good, obviously), then I usually just do a 252/252/4 EV split focusing on the two best stats, depending on it's role, unless I'm trying to do a Tanky Sweeper, in which case I fudge the split a bit between 3 stats.
  • I'm in the same boat as Matt and that shit you just spouted, Neito, does not sound easy in any way, shape, or form and sounds like gobbledygook.
  • So I'm running around with my swagaxe speedrunning Steve, when I fuckin' double-cart to goddamn Picklesaurus.

Oh, sorry, wrong game.
  • The paragraphs it would take to explain

I'm sorta in the same boat, I have no idea what destiny knot is, nor do I know what hidden ability is. (is that the passive where like pikachu who gets tackled paralizes the attacker?)

But yeah, that was all legit.

Summarized it reads here's a list of complicated steps you take towards making the idealized pokemon.
  • I know all that stuff exists, but I just intentionally ignore it. I'm not going to be battling pokes competitively, so what do I care about EV or IV nonsense? My pokes will be strong enough to beat the elite 4, and that's all that matters. Instead, I will concentrate on cuteness and evilness.
  • Yeah. Just gonna play to see where is goes. However, I'll get in on this:

Festival Coins are a nice way to get stat boosters.
  • It's actually only of moderate difficulty, and only sounds tough because I was intentionally using a ton of jargon and proper names.

"Chain" -> When pokemon call for help, that forms a chain. Later pokemon in a chain are assured to have at least 4 perfect stats.

"Destiny knot breeding" -> When a pokemon is breeding, if one of its parents is holding the item "Destiny Knot", it inherents 4 stats from its parents instead of 2, basically increasing the chances of getting the perfect stats you were going for earlier

Nature -> Each nature lowers one stat by 10% and raises another stat by 10%, except for the six neutral ones that raise and lower the same stat.

Hidden Ability -> Most pokemon have two different abilities (your starter, for example, probably has the elemental ability for it's type: Torrent, Inferno, or Overgrowth). Some have a third one that's harder to get but often awesome, reffered to as the "Hidden Ability".

"252/252/4 ev split" -> Each 4 Effort Value points increases a stat by 1 at Level 100. A pokemon can have 510 EVs total, and only 252 in any one stat. 252/252/4 is the "Standard" EV split, maxing out two good stats and bumping up one because why not? "Tanky Sweepers" aren't really a thing, in the same way that a Tank/DPS hybrid isn't a real thing in most MMOs: you'd be terrible at both.
  • That's too much bullshit to get into. I tried to get into it, but I'm not competitive and it sounds like too much effort.

I will say I love the Polynesian influence in this game. It's essentially Pokémon in Hawai'i.
  • That definitely made my eyes glaze over, but I got the humor and had a very good laugh at the first explaining post.

I am in the same boat as Scott/Ro, I'm just gonna play the game and see where it all goes.
  • I may re-embark on my quest to breed a team of 6 perfect-IV Hawluchas so that I can have my own Mexican wrestling promotion.

Maybe I'll mix it up with Oricorios this time.
  • edited November 2016
    That's actually part of why I absolutely _love_ the Battle Royale system, since it introduces tabletop-esque discussion/politics into the game. You may not have the most min-maxed Pokemon, but you may be able to politick your way to surviving, and even victory.

In a way, it reminds me of Cosmic Encounter or Diplomacy, but with Pokemon.
    Post edited by VentureJ on
  • I'm going to want three different toxapex's. They got some good potential.
  • Matt said:

That definitely made my eyes glaze over, but I got the humor and had a very good laugh at the first explaining post.

I am in the same boat as Scott/Ro, I'm just gonna play the game and see where it all goes.

It's pretty much like any other gaming thing.

All you wanna do is have fun Earthbound-style adventure and then put it away? Ignore everything I've said, it's pointless.

Wanna be world champ? Do everything I've just mentioned, plus chain breeding and other bullshit for several weeks or months and basically make one of like three different teams.

Wanna be the guy who owns the Pokemon equivilent of FNM? Maybe three or four days to make a strong team of any of a few dozen archetypes.
  • The best part of competitive battling is designing a bullshit team, even if it's not that great. In Y I had a wonder battle team with two level 1's that had about a 15% win rate. There were a lot of counters that destroyed it (Ghost type, Steel type, Ground type, multi-hit moves, etc.) but if a team didn't have any of those there was literally no way they could win. Then you just sit back an sip the rage tears.
  • edited November 2016
    The barrier to "competitive" Pokemon has gotten so low now, that I've been inviting a lot of my more casual friends to try it out.

Especially with the Hyper Training mode (which pretty much allows you to bump any Pokemon to perfect IV stats with a single item usage) and Pokepelago/Festival Plaza (for EV stat fixing), it's gotten quite easy to get into.

Though of course, can't blame anyone for wanting to avoid that aspect of the game. It's just a compelling and interesting layer that I've come to enjoy.

Post edited by VentureJ on
  • edited November 2016
    VentureJ said:

The barrier to "competitive" Pokemon has gotten so low now, that I've been inviting a lot of my more casual friends to try it out.

Especially with the Hyper Training mode (which pretty much allows you to bump any Pokemon to perfect IV stats with a single item usage) and Pokepelago/Festival Plaza (for EV stat fixing), it's gotten quite easy to get into.

Though of course, can't blame anyone for wanting to avoid that aspect of the game. It's just a compelling and interesting layer that I've come to enjoy.

Let me just choose the pokemon's level, nature, stats, abilities directly without having to grind or breed or any other time-consuming nonsense, and I might be interested.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Apreche said:

VentureJ said:

Let me just choose the pokemon's level, nature, stats, abilities directly without having to grind or breed or any other time-consuming nonsense, and I might be interested.
    http://www.smogon.com/sim/
  • Apreche said:

Poke-gen, ain't nobody got time for that.
  • Hey guess what?

I'm the fuckin' Pokemon League Champion.

Yeah, that's right. Y'all weak.

Bring it, bitches.
  • Here's a list of all non-offensive z-move effects.
    Shenanigans can and will be had.
    http://pastebin.com/d5Hed1cw
  • edited November 2016

Hey guess what?

I'm the fuckin' Pokemon League Champion.

Yeah, that's right. Y'all weak.

Bring it, bitches.

Drifblim and Crobat want to have some words about your choice of phrasing. How many times did you die?
    Post edited by Nuri on
  • Twice. I blame Crobat exclusively. Drifblim was only an issue once.

Crobat is hax.
  • Water Totem was a beast for me. The helper that came in had a healing move so.... Battle dragged on and on. I had a grass type with leech seed on both enemy spots so.... Yeah... Long battle.

The grass totem with castform as a helper was cake. What's that, Sunny Day? Enjoy my fire Z move that does more damage than your synthesis can heal.
  • HMTKSteve said:

The grass totem with castform as a helper was cake. What's that, Sunny Day? Enjoy my fire Z move that does more damage than your synthesis can heal.

Yeah, me too. All castform did was Sunny Day and Headbutt. I got frustrated after a few rounds of full-heal Synthesis and switched to the Z-move which one-hit-KO'd it. Then I took out the castform at my leisure.

• I was so excited to beat the second Hakuna Matata so I could you use demo copy Greninja and then I realized it is already level 50 so... Yeah...