This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Comments

• I though that I was over and done with Pokemon, but I guess not, as I now own Moon. I'm on an adventure with cute owl and party full of early game pokemons, most of whom will go to a box as soon as I find something more cool.
  • Nuri said:

HMTKSteve said:

The grass totem with castform as a helper was cake. What's that, Sunny Day? Enjoy my fire Z move that does more damage than your synthesis can heal.

Yeah, me too. All castform did was Sunny Day and Headbutt. I got frustrated after a few rounds of full-heal Synthesis and switched to the Z-move which one-hit-KO'd it. Then I took out the castform at my leisure.

Ahh I think it might have been a bit harder for me because I used my Z-Move early, before I saw the ally was Castform and before it used Sunny Day. So I didn't knock out Lurantis in one shot, and had no Z-Move to fall back on the rest of the fight. Also Castform kept using Weather Ball, which did way more than Headbutt under the effects of Sunny Day. x_x
  • YES. I got Weather Balled to death and also blew my Z-Move early.
  • Apreche said:

I just got the TM for False Swipe, which is the greatest move in the universe if you want to catch pokes without killing them. But which poke do I teach it to?

I just use Munchlax/Snorlax Hold Back.
  • In a strange twist of fate, the SOS system is frustrating me because it WON'T work. Corsola keeps recovering, so the system doesn't proc, so I can't get a Mareanie chain, so I can't get one with Regenerator. Damned if you do, damned if you don't...
  • You have to be Champion to scan it. If you haven't beaten the plot yet, it's no good. I saw somewhere that it will last through March something.
  • Does pokemans just evolve on their own now? I'm 4+ hours in and just finished the cave challenge on the first island. Noticed my Rowlet and Pikipek evolved simply by leveling up into the mid-teens. Back in my days of Pokemon Blue I remember having to evolve them manually.
  • Matt said:

Does pokemans just evolve on their own now? I'm 4+ hours in and just finished the cave challenge on the first island. Noticed my Rowlet and Pikipek evolved simply by leveling up into the mid-teens. Back in my days of Pokemon Blue I remember having to evolve them manually.

They've always evolved automatically, unless they needed items like the elemental stones.
  • Matt said:

Does pokemans just evolve on their own now? I'm 4+ hours in and just finished the cave challenge on the first island. Noticed my Rowlet and Pikipek evolved simply by leveling up into the mid-teens. Back in my days of Pokemon Blue I remember having to evolve them manually.

Your memory is bad. Different Pokemon evolve in different ways. Some require stones or other tricks. Starter pokemon have always evolved when they hit a specific level. You can manually STOP them from evolving if you want, but why do that?
  • You stop to learn moves early.
  • To keep them cute forever. Keep them in a tiny cage so they never grow. Continue to love them even as they grow deformed and push the boundaries of their natural existence.

Oh well. There's plenty of shit I can't remember about the 8th grade. I guess Pokémon specifics is one of them.
  • edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

Matt said:

Your memory is bad. Different Pokemon evolve in different ways. Some require stones or other tricks. Starter pokemon have always evolved when they hit a specific level. You can manually STOP them from evolving if you want, but why do that?
    Sometimes they either learn moves faster if you leave them unevolved but way more interestingly sometimes it's a nifty mechanism for making you chose what moves you want. Example

At like maybe level 40, Growlithe learns some powerful fire move like flamethrower. At the exact same level Arcanine learns Extremespeed, kinda his signature move. Growlithe evolves at like 26 so you have 14 opportunities for him to become an Arcanine so what you're really chosing between is flamethrower or extremespeed. (gen 2)

Just fact-checked myself so it's level 50 not 40 that growlithe learns flamethrower and arcanine learns extremespeed. Growlithe evolves into Arcanine when exposed to a flame stone so you can choose when you want a Arcanine, however growlithe continues learning moves until 42 (before 50 of course) wheras arcanine learns exactly 1 move, it's the aforementioned extremespeed
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

Sometimes they either learn moves faster if you leave them unevolved but way more interestingly sometimes it's a nifty mechanism for making you chose what moves you want. Example

At like maybe level 40, Growlithe learns some powerful fire move like flamethrower. At the exact same level Arcanine learns Extremespeed, kinda his signature move. Growlithe evolves at like 26 so you have 14 opportunities for him to become an Arcanine so what you're really chosing between is flamethrower or extremespeed. (gen 2)

Just fact-checked myself so it's level 50 not 40 that growlithe learns flamethrower and arcanine learns extremespeed. Growlithe evolves into Arcanine when exposed to a flame stone so you can choose when you want a Arcanine, however growlithe continues learning moves until 42 (before 50 of course) wheras arcanine learns exactly 1 move, it's the aforementioned extremespeed
    I just looked this up. You are right, and also wrong.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Growlithe_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arcanine_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

Growlithe learns Flamethrower at level 50. Arcanine learns ExtremeSpeed at level 50. You evolve into Arcanine using a fire stone. Pretty sure you can use the fire stone whenever you want. But at least in Gen 2 extreme speed is the ONLY move arcanine will ever learn. Growlithe learns new moves up to level 42. So if you want extreme speed you should use the stone after learning the last move at level 42. If you want flamethrower, don't evolve until you learn flamethrower.

Can't you just get both with TM's, though? And if you're not trying to be pro Pokemon battler, does it really matter? The elite four will go down whichever way you pick.
  • Noobs. You guys are forgetting the entire breeding metagame that allows you to breed high level moves onto newly hatched Pokemon.
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Matt said:

I just looked this up. You are right, and also wrong.

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Growlithe_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Arcanine_(Pok%C3%A9mon)/Generation_II_learnset#By_leveling_up

Growlithe learns Flamethrower at level 50. Arcanine learns ExtremeSpeed at level 50. You evolve into Arcanine using a fire stone. Pretty sure you can use the fire stone whenever you want. But at least in Gen 2 extreme speed is the ONLY move arcanine will ever learn. Growlithe learns new moves up to level 42. So if you want extreme speed you should use the stone after learning the last move at level 42. If you want flamethrower, don't evolve until you learn flamethrower.

Can't you just get both with TM's, though? And if you're not trying to be pro Pokemon battler, does it really matter? The elite four will go down whichever way you pick.
    In gen 2 flamethrower and extremespeed both are not TMs, you must choose. And even if you're not trying to be a pokemon master, the decision is still the player's to make. And it's a cool decision, the one between the super speedy giant fire dog and the super firey giant fire dog is an awesome one.

HMTKSteve said:

Noobs. You guys are forgetting the entire breeding metagame that allows you to breed high level moves onto newly hatched Pokemon.

Ain't nobody got time fo' that.
  • Naoza said:

In gen 2 flamethrower and extremespeed both are not TMs, you must choose. And even if you're not trying to be a pokemon master, the decision is still the player's to make. And it's a cool decision, the one between the super speedy giant fire dog and the super firey giant fire dog is an awesome one.

It's not the worst Pokemon, but fire dog is definitely not on my list of good pokes. It is neither cute nor evil.
    Naoza said:

HMTKSteve said:

Noobs. You guys are forgetting the entire breeding metagame that allows you to breed high level moves onto newly hatched Pokemon.

Ain't nobody got time fo' that.
    Indeed. Nobody has time for anything of the sort.
  • Matt said:

To keep them cute forever. Keep them in a tiny cage so they never grow. Continue to love them even as they grow deformed and push the boundaries of their natural existence.

For some reason, that reminds me of High School, where a girl in the grade above mine got an A+ for a school project about Bonsai Cats.
  • That said, extreme speed all the way.
  • edited December 2016
    Apreche said:

It's not the worst Pokemon, but fire dog is definitely not on my list of good pokes. It is neither cute nor evil.

I have a different way of evaluating what pokemon are good, I don't care about cuteness at all (except in so far as showing it off) evilness matters but what matters more than anything is the concept.

A red Great Pyrenees that is super fast and spits fire is an amazing concept. As is a crazy gene experiment that gained sentience. As is a bipedal ghost that scares you so much you become paralyzed.

Good concept = good poke to this guy. Also evil/badass looking. We agree on that.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

I have a different way of evaluating what pokemon are good, I don't care about cuteness at all (except in so far as showing it off) evilness matters but what matters more than anything is the concept.

A red Great Pyrenees that is super fast and spits fire is an amazing concept. As is a crazy gene experiment that gained sentience. As is a bipedal ghost that scares you so much you become paralyzed.

Good concept = good poke to this guy. Also evil/badass looking. We agree on that.
    The souls of 108 deceased evildoers were trapped into a single stone for 500+ years. Their souls merged to form an even greater nightmare that seeks only vengeance.

And you're talking to me about a dog that is merely on fire?
  • Apreche said:

Naoza said:

Apreche said:

The souls of 108 deceased evildoers were trapped into a single stone for 500+ years. Their souls merged to form an even greater nightmare that seeks only vengeance.

I have one further requirement, there are 251 pokemon in my reality, (though I won't force that on anyone else). As such my answer there is, what pokemon is that? And when you tell me it's an algernop or something I will say that's not a pokemon to me.
  • Naoza said:

Apreche said:

Naoza said:

Apreche said:

I have one further requirement, there are 251 pokemon in my reality, (though I won't force that on anyone else). As such my answer there is, what pokemon is that? And when you tell me it's an algernop or something I will say that's not a pokemon to me.
    SPIRITOMB MOTHERFUCKER, DO YOU SPEAK IT?
  • Speaking of interesting Pokemon concepts, I'm actually a big fan of Mimikyu's whole design and concept. The whole "I want to disguise myself as the most popular Pokemon, in order to conceal my eldritch being" concept is adorably creepy.
  • VentureJ said:

Speaking of interesting Pokemon concepts, I'm actually a big fan of Mimikyu's whole design and concept. The whole "I want to disguise myself as the most popular Pokemon, in order to conceal my eldritch being" concept is adorably creepy.

The concept is fine. The actual design is kinda fugly.
  • edited December 2016
    I mean, Arcanine is fluffy af though. That gets you way far in my book.

Extreme Speed is actually kind of a shit move, though. It used to be an uber-priority move unique to Arcanine, but now other Pokes can learn it, and there's a bunch of stuff with higher priority in the mix. At this point, it's just a harder-hitting Quick Attack.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • I mean, Arcanine is fluffy af though. That gets you way far in my book.

Extreme Speed is actually kind of a shit move, though. It used to be an uber-priority move unique to Arcanine, but now other Pokes can learn it, and there's a bunch of stuff with higher priority in the mix. At this point, it's just a harder-hitting Quick Attack.

I don't know what you mean, it's always been an uber-priority move unique to Arcanine.
  • It is a stronger quick attack, priority finishers are good, boosted even better.
  • ThatGent said:

It is a stronger quick attack, priority finishers are good, boosted even better.

Name me one other pokemon that can use extremespeed. (remember gens 1 and 2 are the only real gens)