This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Pokémon Sun and Moon

Comments

• HMTKSteve said:

Starting to dislike Rotom Dex. if you are being told to go somewhere you can not activate the island map on the bottom screen.

I could swear I've managed to do it before, but I forget how. Map activation seems to be inconsistent.

• Just tap near the border
  • HMTKSteve said:

Starting to dislike Rotom Dex. if you are being told to go somewhere you can not activate the island map on the bottom screen.

I could swear I've managed to do it before, but I forget how. Map activation seems to be inconsistent.

Yup. Half the time it seems when I want the map I get Rotom repeating some text instead.
  • HMTKSteve said:

Apreche said:

If there's a Rotom in that dex, how come he can't come out and battle?

Because he is a Nerd-Rotom.

Related: why doesn't that weird purple cloud Pokemon register when it is in so many scenes?
    Pokemon only register if you capture them in a ball.
  • Apreche said:

HMTKSteve said:

Apreche said:

If there's a Rotom in that dex, how come he can't come out and battle?

Because he is a Nerd-Rotom.

Related: why doesn't that weird purple cloud Pokemon register when it is in so many scenes?
    Pokemon only register if you capture them in a ball.
    Or meet them in battle. I know how the game works, more of a rhetorical question.
  • Is there any challenge at all to the main story?

Or is it like the last one, which a save/heal point every 30 steps?
  • Rym said:

Is there any challenge at all to the main story?

There have always been Pokecenters in every town.

IMHO lack of challenge in a JRPG is better. Less challenge = less grind.
  • Rym said:

Most trainer battles have been very easy this far. The first challenge was only tough because wild Pokemon can sometimes call on a friend. This results in a second Pokemon joining the fight against you. If you can't knock them out fast enough they will keep bringing in friends (only one friend at a time so max of two wild Pokemon.)

The red card trainer was a bit tough because he uses Stealth Rock and his Pokemon have the ability to force you to change (randomly) after any successful hit on them.

The island leader was not too tough but three fighting type Pokemon can be tough to beat early on.
  • Rym said:

The ability of Pokemon in a fight to summon an ally has made battles more interesting.

I also only just completed the first island and "gym," so it's early in the game. I haven't run into anything I can't handle.

• If you turn EXP share off you might have some trouble with the totem pokemon. Some of them can be brutal but unless you're getting one-shot you'll probably take them out eventually with 6 trained pokemon.
  • For a Hawaii inspired region, why is the black Raichu a rarity? XD

• Just beat the second Totem Pokemon. I am pleased with the increase in difficulty between the first two Totem fights. Hopefully this is a trend.

The whole "Pokemon riding" thing is more awesome than I thought it was already going to be. I am so pleased to be rid of HM bullshit, AND the interface is so easy to use that it feels like an integral part of travel.
  • Just beat the second Totem Pokemon. I am pleased with the increase in difficulty between the first two Totem fights. Hopefully this is a trend.

The whole "Pokemon riding" thing is more awesome than I thought it was already going to be. I am so pleased to be rid of HM bullshit, AND the interface is so easy to use that it feels like an integral part of travel.

I'm still in the first town, but I saw my sister riding some Pokemon. is there one that goes bicycle fast? Is there still a bicycle? I don't want to spend a lot of time walking around.
  • I'm trying to get all 3 starters with Jeremy's copy of Moon. (.____.;;)

I really want all 3.
  • Popplio was a strong second, very strong second, but I couldn't miss the opportunity to name my starter Tiger Millionaire.

Also, apparently the QR pokedex scanner gives you a 1/day opportunity to find pokemon outside of the normal region set, meaning you can get older gen starters in the wild.
  • Apreche said:

Just beat the second Totem Pokemon. I am pleased with the increase in difficulty between the first two Totem fights. Hopefully this is a trend.

I'm still in the first town, but I saw my sister riding some Pokemon. is there one that goes bicycle fast? Is there still a bicycle? I don't want to spend a lot of time walking around.
    No bicycle so far. I have a Tauros, Stoutland, and Lapras. Tauros' basic speed is your run, but he has a charge move that goes bike fast and breaks rocks. Stoutland is faster than Tauros' charge (I think), but his "search for items" mode is a slow walking speed. Lapras has Surf, which is pretty slow.

So no bike, but definitely enhanced speed from riding Mons.
  • I'm also going to make that red hat for the girl character. It's crunk.
  • edited November 2016
    Wow, yeah, that "totem fights get harder" thing is definitely a trend. The third one took out half my team, and the fourth one was very close to a total loss. I only managed it because I found a Max Revive along the way.

The ally summon definitely creates interesting dynamics. During the third fight, Salazzle summoned its base form. Salazzle hit me with poisoning and flinching moves while the ally nailed me with Venoshock. Took some doing to get around that shit.

The fourth one fucking heals itself, and summoned a Castform that turned into a Fire type. That was some fresh bullshit.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • So the dancing birds are hot terrible. What's the point of having four different types if the only STAB moves they can ever get are flying type?
  • edited November 2016

Apreche said:

Just beat the second Totem Pokemon. I am pleased with the increase in difficulty between the first two Totem fights. Hopefully this is a trend.

No bicycle so far. I have a Tauros, Stoutland, and Lapras. Tauros' basic speed is your run, but he has a charge move that goes bike fast and breaks rocks. Stoutland is faster than Tauros' charge (I think), but his "search for items" mode is a slow walking speed. Lapras has Surf, which is pretty slow.

So no bike, but definitely enhanced speed from riding Mons.
    Tauros is basically like riding around on a rocket, complete with fire effects. Love it. Also: you can go a bit faster on Lapras by holding B, same as with Tauros. Still not super fast, but a bit faster than I'm used to surfing at least, so that's good. And most bodies of water so far are fairly small so no issue with having to go long distances at that speed.

Also will chime in to say I'm really enjoying the totem fights as well. The two kahunas I've fought have been easier by comparison since it's just the usual one-on-one, and they haven't had many Pokemon in their teams so far. Hoping the last two kahunas are a step up in difficulty.

Also also: Team Skull best new evil team since Team Rocket, Y/N? I love that they've gone back to the evil team just being people who just want to steal Pokemon and get money. The fact that they're kind of dumbasses despite acting hardcore is incredibly amusing too. Plus: those theme tunes.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • The difficulty curve definitely picks up. The last few captains, totems, and the Elite Four are rough.
  • Awe yish.

I might be able to get extra starters for trade since Jeremy isn't playing his copy of Moon, yet.
  • ThatGent said:

So the dancing birds are hot terrible. What's the point of having four different types if the only STAB moves they can ever get are flying type?

I was assuming they could be given different TM moves depending on type. Is that not the case? If it's not, then they are indeed hot garbage.

Seriously, Totem fights have been casually wiping out half my team since the third one, and that's including me using Z-Moves with an over-leveled starter. The difficulty ramp is welcome. Things are definitely not fuckin' around so much.

Wishiwashi is fuckin' baller. So is Salazzle.
  • edited November 2016
    The one that really got me was Lurantis. Specifically when it had Castform as an ally. I was able to beat it okay on the second try (though still with difficulty) when its ally was Trumbeak, but with a Castform there to set up Sunny Day and give it endless one-turn Solar Blades I was fuckin' DONE. Complete team wipe. Not even my team members that resisted Grass could stand up to it. Its raised Speed also meant my main attackers couldn't outspeed said Solar Blades.
    Post edited by Eryn on
  • ThatGent said:

So the dancing birds are hot terrible. What's the point of having four different types if the only STAB moves they can ever get are flying type?

So, at level 40, Oricorio learns a move called Revelation Dance. Its type changes to match the form of your Oricorio.

So it takes a long time, but they get there.

• I just got the TM for False Swipe, which is the greatest move in the universe if you want to catch pokes without killing them. But which poke do I teach it to?
  • So the approval system keeps eating my repiles. In summary, It's a real shame that the birds only learn one move to monopolize on their typing, they wasted the potential of that gimmick.

Totem fights are easy enough if monopolize the typing and status. Burn is especially painful for physical attackers, dropping their attack by 2 stages. The real pain is calling for help. Trying to catch a monkey only to get nearly party wiped because it won't stop calling for help for 50 turns is obnoxious. I eventually just found a shiny trumbeak and KO'd the monkey instead.

I found some info on QR codes and island searching, but I think that's what keeps getting the post thrown into approval.

Here's a list of pokes that can learn false swipe
    http://www.serebii.net/attackdex-sm/falseswipe.shtml
  • Apreche said:

I just got the TM for False Swipe, which is the greatest move in the universe if you want to catch pokes without killing them. But which poke do I teach it to?

Usually you drop it on something fast that hits like a truck, like a Scyther.
  • Neito said:

Apreche said:

I just got the TM for False Swipe, which is the greatest move in the universe if you want to catch pokes without killing them. But which poke do I teach it to?

No garbage poke like Scyther is getting in my party.
  • Apreche said:

Neito said:

Apreche said:

No garbage poke like Scyther is getting in my party.
    Your poor taste in Pokemon aside, my point stands: you put it on a physical sweeper.