This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Eurovision 2016

Finals are this weekend, and it's on TV in the US for the first time ever. Granted, it's on some channel that even people who pay for cable probably won't have. Still, get your YouTube ready.

https://www.eurovision.tv/page/news?id=eurovision_2016_to_be_broadcast_in_the_united_states

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Apreche said:

Finals are this weekend, and it's on TV in the US for the first time ever. Granted, it's on some channel that even people who pay for cable probably won't have. Still, get your YouTube ready.

Or I can just watch it on TV. IIRC, Lee-Lin Chin is our announcer, and as announce by Conchita Wurst, Dami Im is our act. It looks a bit meh in rehearsal, but who knows, maybe the live will be better.

It's still my dearest (eurovision) wish that TISM would reform just for one last blaze of glory, and go forward as our Eurovision act. They were a lot of things, but they sure as shit knew how to put on a show.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I'd DVR it, but I'm the only one in my family who cares about Eurovision.
  • edited May 2016
    After American Idol ended, you gotta fill the void somehow.
    There couldn't have been a better choice. Better this than another third-rate knockoff.
    Needs a better channel, though. I'd never even heard of Logo till today.

EDIT (after checking the TV): Turns out my Uverse has it. I'm not subscribed to it, though. YouTube it is, I guess.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • If you want to replace American Idol, Korea has at least 10 similar shows, and that's just one country.
  • edited May 2016

Bits of all the songs in just 17 minutes so you can get a feel for them all and do more research.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • So we have "Icebreaker" and "Lighthouse" and "Walk on Water" and "Love Wave" and "Slow Down". If I cared more I'd make a joke out of those.

My top picks:
    France - this one is going to win, obviously
    Croatia - probably the best track that could be a normal pop song
    Australia - the best voice
    Germany - sounds like a real song, maybe because the lyrics aren't almost offensively upbeat like all the others, and probably the second best voice after Australia
  • Apreche said:

If you want to replace American Idol, Korea has at least 10 similar shows, and that's just one country.

I didn't realize people were crazy gambling on it until it ended.
  • Starfox said:

Apreche said:

If you want to replace American Idol, Korea has at least 10 similar shows, and that's just one country.

I didn't realize people were gambling on it until just now.
  • Oh mans, Sing it Away (Finland) is TOTALLY my jam. San Marino doesn't have a chance in hell.
  • Apreche said:

Starfox said:

Apreche said:

I didn't realize people were gambling on it until just now.
    People bet on pro wrestling. Nothing surprises me anymore when it comes to "will people be on it?"
  • I looked through some of the rehearsal videos with Juliane.

France doesn't stand a chance! It'll be the hit song in the summer clubs, but the singer has no stage presence.

Israel is our new favorite.

UK is the most surprisingly improved from the music video version to the live version.

Ukraine's wailing actually works on stage.

Australia is a bit too repetitive. A pop song lives or dies by the middle eight and the buildup to the final chorus, and it doesn't add enough that wasn't there at the start.
  • Now rooting for Germany.

• The anime/manga influence is super obvious. In everything except the song itself!
  • edited May 2016
    Belgium is now my new favourite, after watching some of the semi-final videos. The singer is by far the best dancer in the whole competition, and none of the performance relies on technical stuff with lights and images.

Meanwhile the UK song has been stuck in my head for about two days straight.
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • So it begins....
  • My favourites:

Belgium!
    Malte
    Australia
    Croatia
    UK
    Germany
    Love Love Peace Peace

Top picks for who will win the vote/jury:
    Russia
    Australia
    Israel
  • Ukraine wins
  • edited May 2016
    You can tell the Russian government is a bit salty about their loss, RT has already published an article about how awful, exploitative and otherwise horrible Eurovision is.

(Spoiler - it's bullshit. Eurovision is not funded by TV licence fees in any of the countries they speak of, it's funded primarily by the host nation, with national acts chipping in some. Only a tiny fraction of this comes from TV license fees, even if you take every nation that has them and put the amount contributed from license fees together.)
    Post edited by Churba on
  • I would have picked many others before Ukraine. Not the worst but no way was it the best. Blegh.
  • I posted a photo of my predictions before the show, with Israel, Ukraine and Australia as my top 3. Two out of my three were two out of the final three, though Israel did nowhere near as well as I expected in his finals performance.

I loved that the final tense moment of score announcing came down to Russia vs Ukraine!