This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - The Jurassic Park Franchise

Tonight on GeekNights, Jurassic Park. From the good movie, to the bad one, to the SNES game. Also some other Michael Crichton stuff. In the news, check out the NYPD vs FDNY brawl, and New York moves a bunch of low level crimes from criminal to civil court.

The GeekNights Patreon continues unabated!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited May 2016
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • edited May 2016
    Might and Magic III is the only other SNES game I can name off the top of my head that uses the mouse.

All of those 16-bit Jurassic Park games were important to me when I was small. But the Sega CD game was the most important - use the rock on the computer.

Goldblum makes everything just a little Goldblummier. This is the true final ending of the PSX Lost World game:
    Post edited by pence on
  • S I M P S O N W A V E a direct result of

• edited May 2016

How Simpson wave somehow recommended a student project in the style of vaporwave.
    Post edited by Coldguy on
  • That goddamn Sega CD Jurassic Park game was my nemesis.
  • People taking the piss out of vaporwave is the only thing that makes its existence tolerable.
  • Nightcore Vaporwave - 1) strip the song of the original artist's name and put your own name on it, 2) chopped and screwed, 3) returned to the original speed.

Seriously, Floral Shoppe is so heavily sample-based that it's incredibly annoying that I need to dig into some violet and teal-colored subreddit to source the original track. Credit your remixes, Vaporwave kids.

And then there's this:

• My thoughts on the Jurassic Park franchise:

Jurassic Park - Excellent movie, never read the book.
    The Lost World - Shit. Also, the book was so boring that I couldn't finish it.
    Jurassic Park III - Surprisingly better than the second movie, but doesn't match up to the original (for obvious reasons).
    Jurassic World - Didn't even bother.

As for the video games:

SNES version - Terrible.
    Genesis version - The best version. Rampage Edition is even better.
    Jurassic Park II (SNES) - I don't remember much from this game. I think it was a run-and-gun.
    Arcade games - Pretty bad.
  • People taking the piss out of vaporwave is the only thing that makes its existence tolerable.

I like vaporwave music. What about it bothers you?
  • Isn't vaporwave essentially just slowed-down dubstep?
  • Some vaporwave is pretty boring, more of a slowed down remix instead of anything interesting or well made. I guess it's trying to be A E S T H E T I C or whatever, but you heard one you heard most of them. I have the same problem with its offshoot future funk, wow you took an obscure disco song and give it a 4 on the floor beat. I guess no matter what the genre it'll always be true that 90% is shit and 10% is good.
  • As someone who has recently watched Jurassic Park and recently read Jurassic Park, you are wrong about the novel being better than the movie. It might be a better story, but the movie is a better example of a good movie than the novel is an example of a good novel.

Of the franchise re-visits of 2016, Mad Max beat out Star Wars and Jurassic Park by a long way. All three rehashed previous stories and shots and moments, but Mad Max created a superior movie in the series while the others were derivative.
  • Mad Max has ruined so many films for me. It is one of the best films I have watched.
  • Damn straight on Mad Max. On my flight back from Sydney, after I finished Fargo Season 2 (which was excellent), I put on Mad Max just to (in my mind) see a few scenes and kill time before they brought out the food.

I ended up watching the whole movie.

Mad Max might well be the Terminator 2 of the very idea of Mad Max as a franchise. The first three movies combined are basically "Terminator 1." They set up a memorable world and were well known and well received. But Fury Road blew up like T2 and use that world to do something game-changing.
  • It is god dam amazing! It ticks so many boxes for me, the only negative is that there is not more, that said the bar for it to follow is so high.

My old man was in Auz when they where filming. The film was so good it impressed a disgruntled old man.
  • T2 poops over Fury Road. As entertaining as Fury Road is, it's very forgettable.
  • edited May 2016
    Coldguy said:

Fixed.
    Post edited by Daikun on
  • Dazzle369 said:

T2 poops over Fury Road. As entertaining as Fury Road is, it's very forgettable.

• @Churba T2 has more meat on the bones (tehe). There's more to digest from the narrative and the characters.

Fury Road is 99% action.
  • I'd actually say there's comparable deep digestive material in the character interactions. Mad Max tells a complex social story despite its simple plot.

T2 edges FR out in terms of pure film review, but not by much.

My point, however, was that Fury Road is to the Mad Max franchise what Terminator 2 was to the Terminator franchise: it set a new bar, and made the franchise mainstream.
  • Rym said:

I'd actually say there's comparable deep digestive material in the character interactions. Mad Max tells a complex social story despite its simple plot.

T2 edges FR out in terms of pure film review, but not by much.

My point, however, was that Fury Road is to the Mad Max franchise what Terminator 2 was to the Terminator franchise: it set a new bar, and made the franchise mainstream.

Could you define "pure film review" for T2? Granted, I love T2 as well but I believe Fury Road is a better move on a technical level as well as a story level. I can see character interaction being better in T2 but T2 does have weaknesses like the acting/dialogue. I know lots of people who were taken out of the movie by the "Why do you cry" interchange.
  • edited May 2016
    Always a crowd pleaser, I present to you: the Dennis Nedry action figure:
    Yes, I owned this.

Stray thoughts from this episode:
    - Everyone loves firemen and hates cops, but when I was a volunteer fireman, we had a guy who was also a cop in town. He kept his ticket book on him, and if people drove like dicks, he would not hesitate to pull them over while driving a fire engine.
    - Sphere is a good book. Scott should read it.
    - Jurassic World is fairly weak. But it hit several marks on the action movie checklist, and I'll be the first to admit I was entertained. I'd say go ahead and watch it, but keep expectations low.
    - I read Lost World when it came out, and when I saw the trailer for the movie version and saw a T-Rex in a city, I had my first childhood moment of "fuck that, I refuse to ever watch this."
    - I held my daughter back from using tablets at first, and introduced her to the mouse using Mario Paint at age 2. She still plays it decently often.
    - Movie franchises that launched inbetween mid-90s (Jurassic Park) and late 90s (Matrix): Mission Impossible, Blade, Austin Powers, Scream, Toy Story
    Post edited by Matt on
  • There ball end of the hammer is for rounding off edges of rivets.
  • Jameskun said:

There ball end of the hammer is for rounding off edges of rivets.

I hate peening rivets so goddamn much.

• I hate peening rivets so goddamn much.

You should drink more water. Cranberry juice might also help.

• Rym said:

I hate peening rivets so goddamn much.

You should drink more water. Cranberry juice might also help.

• My cup runneth over with oooooh ohohoh! XD

• You are correct that Hammond is scared by children playing T-Rex sounds, falls down a slope, is bitten by tiny-sauruses, and dies painlessly as they eat him. In the book.