This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Buy Me (the State) Some Tablets

edited June 2016 in Technology
So I'm off doing research, but as this is a forum full of tech nerds, I thought I would ask my trusted hivemind in order to get other ideas.

Here's the score.

-We have a need for 2 Windows-compatible tablets in the lab. Remote data entry and manipulation will be the primary immediate use, but other uses and functions (mobile workstations, for example) are handy.

-They must fit into a "rugged" case, like an Otterbox or something similar, as a bare minimum level of protection (state rules).

-Beyond that, though, we must be able to decontaminate them using surface chemicals (bleach, Envirocide, etc). Ideally, we should be able to give them a bath and have them be just fine. So a fully-submersible rugged water-tight model or casing option would be ideal

Your budget is $84,000.

Do your worst.
Post edited by TheWhaleShark on

Comments

• I've seen the military using Panasonic Toughbooks. I think they make a Panasonic Toughpad. Should be about as durable as you can get.
  • The hospitals I worked at just used regular shitty PCs and keyboards with horrible plastic covers that were "sanitized." The tablets they used were regular tablets with no particular sanitation protocols...
  • edited June 2016
    We used to have a couple of Toughbooks for a military test instrument, actually. Seemed to do the trick pretty well. I was also looking at the XPlore XC6 series for similar reasons.
    Rym said:

The hospitals I worked at just used regular shitty PCs and keyboards with horrible plastic covers that were "sanitized." The tablets they used were regular tablets with no particular sanitation protocols...

Well, most hospitals have problems spreading MRSA around, so there's that. Also, most hospital equipment doesn't ever come into contact with literal gallons of concentrated human pathogen at any given time.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • There are companies that specialize in this sort of thing. These guys aren't the best (I have no recent experience with any of this stuff), but they're not more than 2-4k each.

http://www.cybernetman.com/en/medical-tablet
  • Hmmm.. let me ask around here, we don't use tablets here but some of the other sites do.
  • $84k for two tablets? Redistribute some of that!!
  • Looks like if you search using the term medical grade tablets. Several sites pop up that make such a thing. http://www.cybernetman.com/en/medical-tablet
  • $84k for two tablets? Redistribute some of that!!

Pete. I'll take on the work as a subcontractor. For $80k, I'll deliver two tablets that meet your specifications. You'll be under budget! Accolades for your cleverness and efficiency!

When I worked at the hospital way back, I was on a $200k project for four printers.
  • Rym said:

$84k for two tablets? Redistribute some of that!!

Pete. I'll take on the work as a subcontractor. For $80k, I'll deliver two tablets that meet your specifications. You'll be under budget! Accolades for your cleverness and efficiency!

When I worked at the hospital way back, I was on a $200k project for four printers.
    Who greenlit $50k per printer?
  • Rym said:

The printers were maybe $10k. The cost was mostly budget to cover the staff (someone like me) figuring out that they needed four printers, figuring out where to put them, etc...

• I ran competitive laptop ruggedization testing for a few years, and selected the Panasonic Toughbook for aircraft carrier usage. I'll see if I have notes on tablets.
  • Rym said:

Rym said:

The printers were maybe $10k. The cost was mostly budget to cover the staff (someone like me) figuring out that they needed four printers, figuring out where to put them, etc...
    Good god enterprise is ridiculous.
  • Consider it this way. I bill my time at $250/hour if I'm doing professional services (e.g., bespoke dedicated work as part of a Time & Materials contract). So if someone wants to, say, have a custom feature outside of our normal software roadmap/licensing/whatever, and I spend half a day doing some concept designs to get the ball rolling, that's a grand.

A thousand dollars for me to draw a few pictures showing what I think I understand about the problem.
  • Rym said:

I'm betting a susbstantial part of the budget is software. But even so, state procurement practices are pretty strictly controlled. If you bring a contract into it, it has to be sent out for bidding in all the required ways.
  • Also, most hospital equipment doesn't ever come into contact with literal gallons of concentrated human pathogen at any given time.

Well that's not a nice thing to say about your co-workers.

• Panasonic Toughpad FZ-M1 (7")
    Panasonic Toughpad FZ-G1
    Getac F110
    These guys seem to just get random tablets and put them in sealed cases:
    MobileDemand
    Guess you could get the one with the Surface Pro 4.

Otherwise I would just the Surface Pro in an Otterbox.
    Not sure what the use case is.
  • Churba said:

Also, most hospital equipment doesn't ever come into contact with literal gallons of concentrated human pathogen at any given time.

Well that's not a nice thing to say about your co-workers.

Its no different having to water proof the drummers gear.
  • Nuri said:

Rym said:

I'm betting a susbstantial part of the budget is software. But even so, state procurement practices are pretty strictly controlled. If you bring a contract into it, it has to be sent out for bidding in all the required ways.
    It's actually not that at all. The $84k is what's left of our LIMS implementation budget, so we have money to throw at LIMS-related toys.

I quoted the amount left because we can basically afford to buy literally any tablet on the market that I have found.

The state will take back whatever we don't wind up spending, which will likely be almost all of it.

• Label printers, labels, bar code scanners, labels for a longer term freezer storage, money for group training lunch, additional WiFi routers for better internet connections for the tablets, process validation(?), money to send you someplace for a week for training on how to train other people, and some aspirin.

Let me know if you have LIMS questions, I've been using it for a while.
  • Wyatt said:

Label printers, labels, bar code scanners, labels for a longer term freezer storage, money for group training lunch, additional WiFi routers for better internet connections for the tablets, process validation(?), money to send you someplace for a week for training on how to train other people, and some aspirin.

Let me know if you have LIMS questions, I've been using it for a while.

You using LabWorks? That's our vendor.

All those things are actually already budgeted. We're getting some crazy-ass label printers and scanners and training and support and yada yada.

The leftover cash is after all of that.

• I'm starting to think that you maybe be getting a different LIMS. I use Nautilus LIMS.

https://tools.thermofisher.com/content/sfs/brochures/D19699.pdf

That's a lot of leftover cash. Wall mounted PC for sample management?