This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - The Grind

Tonight on GeekNights, we consider the grind in games. From grinding out levels to grinding out candy boxes, the good, bad, and outright evil. Videoball is finally coming out, and we're going to play the hell out of it. PAX West badges went on sale this morning, and were sold out within an hour or so (though it's unclear at what point the queue had people who weren't getting badges). That said, you should buy badges for PAX South: it's just as fun, way cheaper, and badges are still on sale!

Since you're probably salty about not getting badges, be sure to read Robert's comments on why it's such a hard problem to solve. Broadway (Hamilton in particular) is having the exact same problem, and there literally isn't a good solution.

Rym is playing way too much Overwatch, and it is a full and worthy successor to Quake 2 Weapons Factory, the previous height of the genre, and a complete replacement for the bland Team Fortress 2.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• edited June 2016
    It amuses me that people were not prepared for it. If you really wanted badges, you should have been prepared. PAX Reddit, Geeknights thread, and Twitter posted so many indications that like Winter, IT IS COMING!

Get friends to make a pact to buy as many tickets as possible. If you want it bad enough, have a contingency plan. The notification almost caught me off guard. For some reason I had my phone NOT on mute like I usually do when I'm at work. So lucky. I was training a coworker and it went off. I told her,"I got to go. Be back in a few." Used my phone and work computer and got my passes.

Edit: Also if Matt gets to be an Omeganaugt, we should go to each event and cheer him on.
    Post edited by Rochelle on
  • edited June 2016
    So if you go to PAX Dev, is a West badge included or extra?
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • VA-11 Hall-A was a little tricky to google and isn't in the shownotes above so here's the link: http://waifubartending.com/
  • Pegu said:

So if you go to PAX Dev, is a West badge included or extra?

It's extra. You have the right to buy four days of PAX at face value along with your Dev badge. It ain't cheap.

• Yeah I do wonder if it's easier to get into a PAX by being a vendor than by being an attende. Even if you had to start a business doing something games related just for the purpose of applying to be a vendor in like, tabletop, you still get vendor passes and access to the cool shit. So you have to hang out in your booth most of the day. Bring a buddy and tag team it. Plus you may make a profit. Plus you may be able to quit your job and live a lifestyle of selling game shit to people who are throwing money at you. Maybe you'll even have employees and eventually a facility and earn enough to move into a nice home, and then with all that awesome dosh start hiring people to make the video game of your dreams, and then you sell that on Steam and make enough money to never have to work again in your life...

All for dem sweet sweet badgers.
  • edited June 2016
    LOL Fuck Prime. I just bought tickets and a hotel a month after tickets went on sale for South. It was also cheaper.

SCHILO'S HERE I COME
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • SWATrous said:

Yeah I do wonder if it's easier to get into a PAX by being a vendor than by being an attende. Even if you had to start a business doing something games related just for the purpose of applying to be a vendor in like, tabletop, you still get vendor passes and access to the cool shit. So you have to hang out in your booth most of the day. Bring a buddy and tag team it. Plus you may make a profit. Plus you may be able to quit your job and live a lifestyle of selling game shit to people who are throwing money at you. Maybe you'll even have employees and eventually a facility and earn enough to move into a nice home, and then with all that awesome dosh start hiring people to make the video game of your dreams, and then you sell that on Steam and make enough money to never have to work again in your life...

All for dem sweet sweet badgers.

The long con.
  • Andrew said:

LOL Fuck Prime. I just bought tickets and a hotel a month after tickets went on sale for South. It was also cheaper.

SCHILO'S HERE I COME

I'm going to both. Hahahahaha.

• Apreche said:

Andrew said:

SCHILO'S HERE I COME

Same here and shut your filthy mouth, Andrew.
  • edited June 2016
    I am going to say this meme has some legs.

Post edited by Coldguy on
  • Rochelle said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

SCHILO'S HERE I COME

West is same weekend as DragonCon this year.
  • Andrew said:

That's like saying Universal Studios is only 30 minutes away from Walt Disney World. I mean the Despicable Me ride is probably fine if that's where your family went for vacation, but I'd rather be on Splash Mountain. :P
  • Andrew said:

Rochelle said:

Apreche said:

Andrew said:

SCHILO'S HERE I COME

And there's a fancy restaurant across the street from a McDonald's, what's your point?
  • Yeah I know, back to normal schedule for DCon and West. It is unfortunate, but I'll see you guys at South. But you know Seattle is awesomesauce fun.
  • edited June 2016
    PAX is great. However, it's definitely a very different type of con than PAX. The one thing PAX misses is cosplay. DragonCon is the best cosplay con in existence (as far as I am aware). Not to mention it's essentially a non-stop party. When your wife's primary hobby is costuming, it's a no-brainer that D*Con > PAX West.

It's like having a steak everytime you go to the restaurant. Sometimes I want the lamb.
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • I actually became quite angry at the patreon extra content bonus audio. I try to shield myself from such stupid in my normal life.
  • I actually became quite angry at the patreon extra content bonus audio. I try to shield myself from such stupid in my normal life.

I watched the entire lecture it was from to understand how these talks are put together. They all follow basically the same structure.
  • I called it by the second sentence. You could see the Jesus coming from a mile away.
  • Matt said:

I called it by the second sentence. You could see the Jesus coming from a mile away.

What's interesting is that it actually barely hits Jesus, and swings around into a WHOLE LOT OF MADE UP PHYSICS.

• I need to know the source.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2016
    Rochelle said:

I need to know the source.

Do you dare?
    I will share.
    Have a care.

Post edited by Rym on
  • edited June 2016
    I found it on reddit and posted it in Fail of your Day. Little over a week ago.
    Post edited by Pegu on
  • Just found this in the recommended videos. This should help wash out that bitter taste afterward.

• Rym, have more care with your instructions. "how long it takes you to figure out what is going on here" is dangerously vague. I suspected bullshit pseudo-science at about 5 seconds (when she screws up the Einstein equation), and had it confirmed at "bowling ball." but then I worried that my answer wasn't sufficient. Maybe you wanted us to figure out where she was going with this crap and I had no clue. So I kept listening, all the way to the end... I hate you Rym.
  • I kept listening too. I was waiting for it to justify homeopathy.
  • RymRym
    edited June 2016
    I gaze into the darkness of the net. I am your guide. I provide only the most... distilled of experiences.

Exquisite and rarefied, the mesmerizing beauty of the expansive breadth of humanity's creations.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Two things strike me about passes.

The first is that people seem to think they have this brilliant idea that for some reason never occurred to the people who are doing this as a buisness and making a living doing it...

Second, if they actually did have a brilliant idea PA staff is small and nimble enough to do it.