This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - The Show About What to do the Show About

Tonight on GeekNights, Twitter plays GeekNights as we do a show about what we should do a show about, seeded with suggestions from the listener. In the news, a legend of a man, sorely needed in these times, passes away. We'll miss you, Muhammad Ali. AI is learning to play Atari games like a human child would. Old people have no idea what we're on about, but Hillary Clinton's campaign went a little Bulworthy.

The GeekNights Patreon goes on with the second remastered beta pre-release episode of GeekNights, complete with commentary. Our amazing original Tshirt is on Amazon, and a new one is on the way.

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• 1998 not 1988...
  • I didn't think this video was real when I heard Fred Thompson speak, then wiki told me he was a real lawyer.
  • I saw that disaster coming a mile away. NEVER take your hands off of the glidecam. It's meant to help stabilize the camera, not support it entirely.
  • edited June 2016
    That's Gustav Penna, he's a pretty experienced Steadicam operator. More than any of us, anyway, unless someone's holding out on us. That's 100% the rig's fault, not his - Taking your hands off the arm is a pretty normal procedure for testing the balance, and the manufacturer has a similar video on their own channel showing off the strength, with one of their in-house guys doing the same hands of jumping in place routine.

By the look of it, what failed was the turnbuckle, not the operator or the arm itself- if you look at his hip, where the arm attaches to the socket block, you can see it snap, followed by the arm flopping down once the sled came off the mounting post when the counterweight hit the floor. It would have failed if he was salsa dancing, or if he was operating the textbook picture-perfect of a stedi op - doing what he did was not the real cause of failure, it should have taken that with no trouble. After reeling it out, on a well-balanced, well made arm, she should have been able to swing it back to himself just by moving his hips.

I looked up more about the arm, too, since it looked weird - Haven't listened to the episode yet to see of you mention it, but it turns out the entire thing is a a pretty cool setup. Works on elastic bands rather than springs, it's cheap, lightweight, simple, and works pretty bloody well, apparently. A pretty impressive bit of kit, all told.
    Post edited by Churba on
  • It was a video guy I know that told me that when he let me try his steadicam rig... so maybe he was just afraid of me! XD Rewatching it, though, I see what you mean about the turnbuckle.
  • The best part about the cnbc old people is the snapchat avatar.
  • It was a video guy I know that told me that when he let me try his steadicam rig... so maybe he was just afraid of me! XD Rewatching it, though, I see what you mean about the turnbuckle.

Oh yeah, if you don't know what you're doing, it's not recommended - if I owned a rig and was letting someone inexperienced give it a try, I'd tell them the same thing. It only takes a moment's inattention to send your expensive gear into the dirt. Just that one small metal piece that failed in the video is 100+ dollars - pro steadicam rigs are in the "Mortgage your house" region for prices.

They are meant to only stabilize the camera, not to hold it entirely by itself - but most setups of that type will hold the camera by itself, with weight allowance to spare. You wouldn't want to shoot that way, but it shouldn't come tumbling down if you don't have your hands on it.
  • Self driving cars will eliminate this issue I believe.

• I never thought to frame him that way but Scott was correct in framing Muhammad Ali as a super hero, rereading his wiki and watching his fights and banter, it seems almost scripted.
  • How about a show on how to buy airline tickets since apparently Rym can find tickets that AREN'T the same goddamn price across every single airline?
  • edited June 2016
    oops
    Post edited by Luke Burrage on
  • How about a show on how to buy airline tickets since apparently Rym can find tickets that AREN'T the same goddamn price across every single airline?

1. Buy your tickets more than a month in advance
    2. Only fly from major airports (the destination can be a hop, but not your home airport)
    3. Use Kayak
    4. Clear your cookies before you search specific airlines' sites

That's it.

The only times I've ever seen the "there's only one price" situation, it's if I have to fly out of a smaller airport like BOS instead of JFK. Really, just always be flying out of JFK.
  • 4. Use private browsing mode.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Self driving cars will eliminate this issue I believe.

In engine turbo charging this is what's known as compressor surge, it's what happens when you try to run too much boost too soon. Basically when there's too many air molecules at a certain compressor flow, it becomes unstable and the pressure builds until you have a compressor stall (everything stops momentarily).