This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - How to Not Suck at Hosting Parties

Tonight on GeekNights, we bring back our classic "How to Not Suck" series with How to Not Suck at Hosting Parties. In the news, VA-11 HALL-A is out, and you should probably play it even if you don't consider yourself a "gamer." The NHL (hockey, in case you are one of those types who "ignore" sports) expansion in to Las Vegas means that there's going to be an expansion draft. The Brexit has a decent chance of passing, but Scott refuses to talk about "things that don't matter" and gets pretty grumpy about it.

Support GeekNights on Patreon! Come see us at ConnectiCon!

Download MP3
Source Link

Comments

• Should I listen to this? Is it a hint?
  • If this isn't an hour of you guys saying "be Pete and Nuri," you're wrong.
  • Nuri said:

Should I listen to this? Is it a hint?

You are a model citizen of the "good hosts" empire. You need not our paltry advice.
  • I laughed out loud when I saw the title to this episode.
  • If you want to watch a country commit economic suicide, look at the Sterling right now.
  • edited June 2016
    provide food, booze, enough chairs and a few activities. As the host, mingle among your guests, focusing on the ones that seem to not have a group to talk with. Also don't have a small one bedroom apartment and host a party of 40+ people :-p
    Post edited by Cremlian on
  • Andrew said:

If you want to watch a country commit economic suicide, look at the Sterling right now.

• "Giants! Giants! Oh, you got it."

Do you guys ever do anything at parties except play board games?
  • At this point Rym, you should just do the big stories as a Rym's rant since Scott will never bite on any of them. Wow the voting result has me really scared of the US elections.

Make merry?

Sure!

Sometimes we play video games too.
  • Make merry, play games, eat and drink. The scope of the games will vary widely, but that's 95% of our parties. The last few are "we'll all watch a specific movie together."
  • Jeremy NEEDS to listen to this episode.
  • Rochelle said:

Jeremy NEEDS to listen to this episode.

Is there something he do wrong?
  • He isn't hospitable and doesn't really care about providing food for his friends when they are over for GURPS.

I know how to host from learning from my family and how we always have parties. I end up having to remind Jeremy to offer his friends food when I'm not even involved. So annoying.

Sure!

Sometimes we play video games too.
    Don't forget set things on fire. We do that when there's space. And we have been known to go for hikes and play lawn games, too.
  • Rochelle said:

He isn't hospitable and doesn't really care about providing food for his friends when they are over for GURPS.

I know how to host from learning from my family and how we always have parties. I end up having to remind Jeremy to offer his friends food when I'm not even involved. So annoying.

They keep coming back?
  • Yeah. It's weird. He is getting better at being more hospitable, but nothing along the lines of pro.
  • LULZ. Told Jeremy he should listen to this. He said he saw the title and doesn't want to listen. *Sigh*
  • Rochelle said:

LULZ. Told Jeremy he should listen to this. He said he saw the title and doesn't want to listen. *Sigh*

Guess he wants to suck.
  • 1. Good food
    2. Good friends
    3. Something to do
    4. Good banter
  • "You're not cooking dinner for 40 people."

FUCK YOU DON'T TELL ME WHAT TO BE. DOUBLE OVENS!

...It's too bad our smoker is shorted out. That brisket rocked.
  • Nuri said:

"You're not cooking dinner for 40 people."

Dat brisket.
  • Nuri said:

"You're not cooking dinner for 40 people."

Goddammit I want a smoker now but where the fuck will I put it in our apartment, and where will I set it up? We don't get to use the back yard.
  • Goddammit I want a smoker now but where the fuck will I put it in our apartment, and where will I set it up? We don't get to use the back yard.

It's very worth it if you have room, but space is definitely a consideration.

And I'm speaking from experience when I say don't store it outside. That's how it got shorted in the first place, even with the cover on it. -_- Still waiting for the replacement part. The first time, they sent the wrong size.

The one we have is fairly easy to move around, and it can live in our garage and move out to the driveway when we need to use it. It just needs to be made functional again.
  • I can smoke a brisket in the charcoal grill. Never doubt my ability to meat.
  • In re: wedding RSVPs: just use a fuckin' Google form.
  • I want a house like my friend's parents have. Enclosed back porch right off the dining room and the living room is through the kitchen, plus a few guest rooms if someone needs to stay. Only thing I'd want to add is a nice backyard and/or dock access to a secluded body of water for redneck yacht club.