This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Tuesday - Captain Sonar

Comments

• edited September 2016
    pence said:

I'd choose Pizza Hut over the delivery we got on Sunday. That pizza was Domino's tier.

I'm just curious, do you remember what the place was?

The one's that come to mind that I think you could get downtown are:
    Zeeks (bad), Pagliacci (good), Dominoes (bad), Big Marios (I remember them being okay), Hot Mama's (I remember being okay), Post Alley Pizza (good, but I think they close pretty early).

There are other good ones, but they are sit down places, like Alibi room.

MOD is alright, but I always view them more as like an "I want pizza for lunch" type of place.

Big Marios is the place that supposedly has the closest thing you'll get to NY pizza. Although my buddy who grew up in NY says it's alright comparatively still. I only had them once and I was pretty drunk at the time so I mostly remember it just being good because I was drunk.
    Post edited by MATATAT on
  • 2015 Seattle Pizza Disaster:
    Amante Pizza and Pasta

2016 Seattle Pizza Disaster:
    Palermo Pizza & Pasta
  • Hmm, I dunno if I've ever had Palermo or Amante.
  • You want pizza in Seattle, you are correct, it is a sit-down meal. You go to this fucking place, Serious Pie. It's legit.
  • That's not too far away from the convention center. Like 9 blocks from Olive 8. I may set something up for there next West, but man we had some serious good sushi at Shiro's pre-PAX dinner.
  • I've never been to Shiro's but I think one of my previous coworkers was all about that place.
  • MATATAT said:

I've never been to Shiro's but I think one of my previous coworkers was all about that place.

It was really good, but I think I like Hibino more. Then again, I didn't have the Taro, which isn't even legit available on most sushi menus.
  • They have different menus. Hibino is mostly home style Japanese cooking, while Shiro was fancy restaurant cooking.
  • Rym said:

They have different menus. Hibino is mostly home style Japanese cooking, while Shiro was fancy restaurant cooking.

If that's homestyle, that is one fancy home.
  • I don't have anything to back this up. But I feel that the majority of Mom and Pop pizza places in the US don't do delivery. You have do carry out or eat at the place. Because of this most folks are stuck with ordering from a pizza restaurant chain. So the bar is set pretty low when local Mom and Pop pizza places do delivery.

My hometown has like 3-4 family-owned pizza places on a 3 block stretch of Main St, and all of them deliver. There's also a Papa Gino's that doesn't deliver (AFAIK).
  • I think you're underestimating how much Mario is in the iOS App Store is going to cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it were $20 or more.
  • okeefe said:

I think you're underestimating how much Mario is in the iOS App Store is going to cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it were $20 or more.

No way.
  • Apreche said:

okeefe said:

I think you're underestimating how much Mario is in the iOS App Store is going to cost. I wouldn't be surprised if it were $20 or more.

No way.
    It's Nintendo. Don't put it past them.
  • edited September 2016
    That would be completely fucking idiotic, so yeah maybe Nintendo might do it.

Kidding aside it wouldn't stand a chance at that price. There's a reason games that are on steam for double and triple the price are a fraction of that on the App Store. To compete at all you generally have to be at a certain price, and that price is very low on the App Store. I would most likely say $3-$5.
  • Here is a response to the Marvel Symphonic Universe video
  • Both videos get something right. But the first one, makes a really good point that it doesn't focus on enough. The part where it shows the Captain America score being buried by narration. More recent movies do not have enough scenes where the music is doing most of the talking. The music is never the focus. Even if there is a strong melody to remember and hum along to, it's rarely in the forefront.

In Star Wars, the music is the focus from the first frame. There are so many scenes where the music is on full blast. If you listen to the actual Star Wars soundtracks (they're all on Spotify) you might not remember most of the music. Can you hum Yoda's theme? Did you know Yoda had a theme? You might remember it's core melody when you hear it, but you can't hum the whole song. That's because most of it was playing quietly while characters were talking.

But everyone remembers the Imperial March. Why? Because they fucking blast that song loud as fuck. Nobody talks over it. There's nothing to see while it plays other than Darth Vader walking. Darth Vader looking around. The Emperor walking. Imperial fleets moving slowly. You are taking actual time in the movie to do nothing but listen to that song.

The two suns rise on Tatooine, and the music is blasting 100%.

Not only does the music get focus, it gets repeated, and repeated often. How many times does the imperial march, or a variant thereof, get played? A LOT. Just about every time the scene changes to an imperial one, the song comes on. People remember things with repetition.

If you played the same general melody every time Spider-Man appeared, and played it loud, people would remember it. This is why you remember the music from B:TaS, but not Dark Night.

All of the things mentioned in both videos play into it. But this factor, which is only a minor point in the symphonic universe video, is a larger factor than either of them realize.
  • The difference between a well scored film/ story centric game; intently designed to stand out at very specific moments to complement the context of the scene, then there's generic noises that don't really take much effort or time to produce.

Marvel films are generic garbage, don't waste your time. Unless it's Blade 1.

• First off, had no idea that was Hans Zimmer in Video Killed the Radio Star. That's some good trivia.

Second, you guys are both making good points. It does seem that it is not so much "music in modern movies sucks" as it is the sum result of several stylistic shifts. I also said this at the time, and will say it again: even The Force Awakens soundtrack was weak in comparison to other Star Wars movies. Great in comparison to most other recent movies, but only a handful of tracks stand out when I listen to it.

The part that always bothers me is where Rey grabs the lightsaber and it flies past Kylo's face. There's a big dramatic swell, and you expect shit to go down with some exciting jedi battle music. Bring in some of the old Force themes. But instead, the editing takes the movie back to the X-Wing battle and the music fades into the background.
  • edited September 2016
    Agreed re; Force Awakens. Even Episodes 1-3 have better music. I think they hold together because they are still recycling themes from episodes 4-6. If you are allowed to use the Imperial March in your arsenal, you had better fucking use it.

Also, I found it interesting that they mention 2001's direct use of classical music with no original score. Just because you make a new movie, doesn't mean you also need to make new music. How many old movies have I see that just have Stauss Blue Danube or or John Phillips Sousa Marches on the soundtrack. It works because those are good songs! Sure, you might not remember these songs and associate them with the movie, but they work and make the movie good. If your goal is to make a good movie, it's not mandatory you make new music also. 2001 manages to do it so well that you end up associating the pre-existing music with that movie.

It's not just classical music, either. Consider the soundtrack to The Matrix. I listened to that CD a ton in my younger days. Here is the track list.

"Rock Is Dead" by Marilyn Manson – 3:11
    "Spybreak! (Short One)" by Propellerheads – 4:00
    "Bad Blood" by Ministry – 5:00
    "Clubbed to Death (Kurayamino Mix)" by "Rob D" – 7:26
    "Prime Audio Soup" by Meat Beat Manifesto – 6:17
    "Leave You Far Behind" by Lunatic Calm – 3:13
    "Mindfields" by The Prodigy – 5:40
    "Dragula (Hot Rod Herman Remix)" by Rob Zombie – 4:37
    "My Own Summer (Shove It)" by Deftones – 3:34
    "Ultrasonic Sound" by Hive – 4:54
    "Look to Your Orb for the Warning" by Monster Magnet – 4:42
    "Du Hast" by, Rammstein – 3:54
    "Wake Up" by Rage Against The Machine – 6:04

Sure, you probably don't remember when they played Du Hast. And they only play Wake Up at the end, and that's cheating because that song goes with everything. But Spybreak! is the song they play during the scene in the office lobby after going through the metal detectors, and it is fucking brilliant. It's not an original song, but it still kicks ass. It makes the scene work. It makes that part of the movie better.

It's nice to have an original score to get new music along with a new movie. But it's also OK if you don't. The music just has to be good, it doesn't have to be new.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • Very rarely do I ever listen to music from movies because outside of the context of the movie it's not good. Same for video games. But once in a while you get some dope ass music. Like even listening to that music from Halo I have zero interest in listening to that outside the game. It has all these high and low points that don't really make sense outside of a visual context. Then you listen to the Bastion soundtrack and even though I don't really like that game you can jam the fuck out to that soundtrack.
  • The Halo soundtrack is actually really good, but let's not forget it's very subjective.

I actually like Halo 3:ODST's soundtrack the most from the Halo series. The tracks are more diverse and colourful. But I do believe that was Martin O'Donnell's last real contribution to the Halo Soundtrack, and by that time had fully mastered the 'Halo' sounds and moods.

One of my favourite movie soundtracks is House of Flying daggers.

Play that shit!

Even if you haven't seen the film, somehow you can still hear a story in the music.

Shigeru Umebayashi practically composed all music for every wuxia movie you care about, but the soundtrack for flying daggers stands out the most. However it's just variations of one core melody. I still enjoy listening to it out of context.

Game soundtracks are the best. There's more diversity and just better sound design overall.

Phoenix Wright for instance. Who hasn't at least hummed that ringtone. Very destinct and memorable.
  • I remember and love The Matrix soundtrack but was highly disappointed that it didn't have Massive Attack's Dissolved Girl on it, even though it was in the movie where I'm willing to bet most people don't remember which scene.

New soundtracks: Kubo, Inside Out are great and recognizable and singable.
  • edited September 2016
    Dazzle369 said:

The Halo soundtrack is actually really good, but let's not forget it's very subjective.

I actually like Halo 3:ODST's soundtrack the most from the Halo series. The tracks are more diverse and colourful. But I do believe that was Martin O'Donnell's last real contribution to the Halo Soundtrack, and by that time had fully mastered the 'Halo' sounds and moods.

One of my favourite movie soundtracks is House of Flying daggers.

Play that shit!

Even if you haven't seen the film, somehow you can still hear a story in the music.

Shigeru Umebayashi practically composed all music for every wuxia movie you care about, but the soundtrack for flying daggers stands out the most. However it's just variations of one core melody. I still enjoy listening to it out of context.

Game soundtracks are the best. There's more diversity and just better sound design overall.

Phoenix Wright for instance. Who hasn't at least hummed that ringtone. Very destinct and memorable.

I mean, don't get me wrong, I think the Halo soundtrack is great when I'm playing the game. Same with something like the soundtrack for Fury Road. I like the music in that movie a lot. But I just don't really enjoy listening to the music outside of the context. I feel that way about a lot of music in media. On it's own I don't usually find it very listenable, and I don't find too many soundtracks that have good listenable music outside of the context in which it's meant to be presented. Some music transcends this but in those instances I think the music itself stands well on it's own regardless of whether there was a visual element to the whole thing.

The Bastion soundtrack for instance (and actually I started listening to the Transistor soundtrack too today after this thread). If Darren Korb just put out an album that was that music it would be a great album. If someone put out the soundtrack for a Halo game (or something similar) I'd find it unlistenable.
  • Yes to Darren Korb. Looking forward to the next SuperGiant game Pyre and their soundtrack.
  • OK in regards to pizza, Chicago pizza is fucking dope. And while I definitely appreciate the authentic New York slice, I'm gonna say that if I had to choose a last meal pizza, it would be a deep dish from some place shadowed by the L, and thick as a cheeseburger.
  • SWATrous said:

OK in regards to pizza, Chicago pizza is fucking dope. And while I definitely appreciate the authentic New York slice, I'm gonna say that if I had to choose a last meal pizza, it would be a deep dish from some place shadowed by the L, and thick as a cheeseburger.

That's some serious dedication to a good stew.
  • On the topic of purely recycled soundtracks, I will profess my love for... Guardians of the Galaxy! The soundtrack is a mix tape tied to the plot. It's the lead character's only possession from his time on earth. Works great.
  • Guardians of the Galaxy is a garbage movie. The music is great on it's own, that's why they didn't bother to make any.
  • Dazzle369 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a garbage movie. The music is great on it's own, that's why they didn't bother to make any.

I have the opposite opinion. Guardians of the Galaxy is the best MCU movie ever made.
  • Rym said:

Dazzle369 said:

Guardians of the Galaxy is a garbage movie. The music is great on it's own, that's why they didn't bother to make any.

I have the opposite opinion. Guardians of the Galaxy is the best MCU movie ever made.
    If Guardians is the 'best', that says something very sad about Marvel movies.