This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights Thursday - Pizza

2»

Comments

• MATATAT said:

"All you can eat" is where I immediately get skeptical.

I pretty much agree with that but I live in an area where there are Amish run buffets which if you like PA Dutch food is generally really good.

• I grew up with a place called Napoli Pizza that made amazing Sicilian pizzas. Unfortunately, the owner retired and closed down the place, and nothing I've found since has compared. The closest I've found is Pino's, but if anyone knows a place that makes really good Sicilian pizzas around Boston, please let me know.
  • In my 30 years on Earth, I've found two different places that use provolone (not mozz), and layer the sauce on top instead of the bottom.

Let me tell you, I don't care if you think that's pizza or not, that shit is delicious. Or maybe you only try a stunt like that if you're already a pro at the pizza game.
  • Provolone pizza is magic wizard shit.
  • pence said:

In my 30 years on Earth, I've found two different places that use provolone (not mozz), and layer the sauce on top instead of the bottom.

Let me tell you, I don't care if you think that's pizza or not, that shit is delicious. Or maybe you only try a stunt like that if you're already a pro at the pizza game.

Boardwalk style is rare, but if crafted well is a definite go to.
  • I remember when I was a kid there was a bakery we went to where they had I think square slices with sauce, cheese, and then a layer of sauce over the top of that. It was weird and I can't recall if it was good or bad, but I've never seen pizza like that since.
  • I'm having a hard time reconciling Scott's pizza snobbery with the fact that he "rolls" pizza dough. Like with a rolling pin? You monster. Pizza dough is stretched, preferably with human hands and not monstrous talons. =P
    Rym said:

Provolone pizza is magic wizard shit.

Truth. It makes even Domino's pizza taste good. (For certain low values of "good.")
  • I feel like any of your food shows can be summed up by "move to New York, it's just better."
  • I feel like any of your food shows can be summed up by "move to New York, it's just better."

• I

I feel like any of your food shows can be summed up by "move to New York, it's just better."

It kind of is.

Like, once I traveled around the south having BBQ, I realized that the good BBQ here is just as good. Most of the world's food is represented here in authentic form if you know where to look. Local restaurants outside of the City that people rave about feel average by these standards.

The only caveat, however, is that these things are largely inaccessible unless you have the money to live here.
  • I mean, it's one of the richest and most densely populated places on the planet. You can probably find the best and worst of most things there.
  • I mean, it's one of the richest and most densely populated places on the planet. You can probably find the best and worst of most things there.

It's an extremely cosmopolitan city. A lot of immigrant put down roots there when they got off the boat, so those cultures developed well.

But yes, it's extremely expensive to live and/or work there. I'm not moving there without a guarantee of a good salary and decent living space.