This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Sony's Newest Low

edited October 2006 in Video Games
Upon checking Gamespot News at my desk during lunch today I came across an article regarding Sony's victory over
Lik-sang regarding the importing of PS3 consoles to Europe. It seems that officially Sony was concerned over the differences in voltage between Japanese/US systems and any imports to European gamers would cause fire hazards to overzealous PS3 owners. Unofficially, there are rumors that because Sony of Europe is unable to allocate a supply of PS3 for official distribution and being forced to wait until March 2007, SCEI has given a public warning recently stating that they would use the "full extent of the law" to disallow any unofficial European penetration of the PS3, and lo and behold we have our first victim.

Lik-sang, a company in which I have myself bought hard-to-obtain replacement wires for my Sega Saturn and an import copy of Columns Collection is now SHUT DOWN thanks to Sony's heavy-handed tactics. I've started this discussion in order to see any others post their feelings on the legalities/possible illegalities of importing/exporting without an original equipment manufacturer's consent. Would I be overreacting like the rest of the Gamespot.com forum posters by saying "FU Sony, I'm not buying your products" and stop buying anything related to Sony's video game division?
Or should I still plan on purchasing a PS3 for my own enjoyment, knowing that the company I just gave money (and therfore power) is forcing smaller companies out of business to cover their own marketing and production mismanagement? I would like to hear your opinions.

Let me put a simpler way: Sony has failed to manufacture enough consoles for the formerly promised European launch date; however lik-sang was able to furnish a small order of PS3s for European buyers despite Sony's public warnings. Do you think the closure of Lik-sang was necessary when Lik-sang was providing a service that Sony themselves failed to do?
Why or why not?

*Hopefully this discussion will go better than the last one I started regarding the PSP - last thing I need is a reputation like Rym's former friend "the flamming geek".

James Wallace

Comments

• Actually i stopped supporting sony since the whole drm turned root kit thing happened. But that's just me. I think Sony has made alot of big mistakes and has been doing wrong to its customers for a while now, when will people finally get sick of it? is the only question I have.
  • Actually i stopped supporting Sony since the whole drm turned root kit thing happened. But that's just me. I think Sony has made alot of big mistakes and has been doing wrong to its customers for a while now, when will people finally get sick of it? is the only question I have.
    I always tough Sony sucked...Yet I still have a modded psp.
  • Wii rules, sony drools
  • edited October 2006
    Don't have any PS3s to sell in Japan? No problem, Sony can just sell a rain check instead.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • Apparently the PSN's new terms of service include waiving your rights to pursue a class-action lawsuit against Sony. Well now that's just fabulous.
  • This is first time I can remember of a company using a EULA to do something straight up evil.
  • Evil?
    RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER WITHIN 30 DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.
    Now, this does require you to opt out of their binding arbitration agreement as well, so it sounds like your options become: class-action lawsuit, or plain ol' lawsuit.

Can a lawery type look over this?
  • See: Adhesion and unconscionability.
  • Evil?
    RIGHT TO OPT OUT OF BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER WITHIN 30 DAYS. IF YOU DO NOT WISH TO BE BOUND BY THE BINDING ARBITRATION AND CLASS ACTION WAIVER IN THIS SECTION 15, YOU MUST NOTIFY SNEI IN WRITING WITHIN 30 DAYS OF THE DATE THAT YOU ACCEPT THIS AGREEMENT. YOUR WRITTEN NOTIFICATION MUST BE MAILED TO 6080 CENTER DRIVE, 10TH FLOOR, LOS ANGELES, CA 90045, ATTN: LEGAL DEPARTMENT/ARBITRATION AND MUST INCLUDE: (1) YOUR NAME, (2) YOUR ADDRESS, (3) YOUR PSN ACCOUNT NUMBER, IF YOU HAVE ONE, AND (4) A CLEAR STATEMENT THAT YOU DO NOT WISH TO RESOLVE DISPUTES WITH ANY SONY ENTITY THROUGH ARBITRATION.
    Now, this does require you to opt out of their binding arbitration agreement as well, so it sounds like your options become: class-action lawsuit, or plain ol' lawsuit.

Can a lawery type look over this?
    Binding arbitration is simply one way to resolve a suit. If a person/people wanted to resolve their suit/claim via a trial, they would need to opt out of non-binding arbitration.
  • Y U people still give money to SONY?
    Because the PSP still has some damn fine games?
    At what cost?
    At what cost?
    In terms of moral cost? Fuck if I know. I don't buy games off the PSN anymore. I got the last of my games off, then deleted my credit card number and haven't added one since. It's effectively a shell that remains so I can continue to play Z.H.P. and Fate/Unlimited Codes.
  • Honestly, I haven't bought a new PSP game in years. I mainly use my PSP for emulators. My games are about half legit, half pirated on my psp but I have pretty much all of them as .iso's on my memory stick. I'll probably end up buying a Vita but I may wait until there is some sort of Custom Firmware before I do, even if its just for PS1 emulation.
    Because Super Stardust is fucking awesome?
  • In the last two weeks I was toying with the idea of buying a PS3. There's a couple of games I'd like to play on it, plus the majority of my coworkers have PS3s and no 360s and they're nice dudes I'd like to play some games with. However, the old advice of "don't give money to Sony, which I already followed before Scrym made it so explicit in one of their shows in the wake of the PSN hacking fiasco, of course made me skeptical. Now I'm rather glad I didn't follow through.
  • I know I'm going to buy a ps3 at some point, but I pretty much plan on only buying single player games and exclusives for it. If I want the new COD or whatever, I want it on Xbox because that's what everyone else has. I'll buy one when its cheaper, but I don't plan on giving them any substantial amount of money.
    Because there are great piratable games that only run on their shit.
    Because life is too short for me to give a damn about the potential of being a part of a class-action lawsuit against a company that will net me about $12 in the long run. They make stuff that I want to play, simple as that.
    Because life is too short for me to give a damn about the potential of being a part of a class-action lawsuit against a company that will net me about $12 in the long run. They make stuff that I want to play, simple as that.
  • Does this mean piracy of Sony stuff is unquestionably morally justified?
  • I'm too poor to diagree.
  • In the last two weeks I was toying with the idea of buying a PS3. There's a couple of games I'd like to play on it, plus the majority of my coworkers have PS3s and no 360s and they're nice dudes I'd like to play some games with. However, the old advice of "don't give money to Sony, which I already followed before Scrym made it so explicit in one of their shows in the wake of the PSN hacking fiasco, of course made me skeptical. Now I'm rather glad I didn't follow through.
    I was in the same situation, except it was with my close friends instead of coworkers. It was about two years ago at which point I got my ps3. I played a lot of call of duty on it with friends, they don't know better. It was worth it, it was kind of set aside lately, but I just got DDR for it and decommissioned it fully!
  • What the fuck, guys. What the fuck.
    People keep arguing with me every time I say SONY is the worst. How many more times do they have to fuck up before you people agree that I am right? 10? 20?
  • Sony as a company isn't very good, I have no allegiance to them. But I prefer the PS3 controller, I like PS3-exclusive games, and I like having free online. When the PSN isn't down (which only happened once, I'll add), it's free online is just as good as Xbox Live.
    People keep arguing with me every time I say SONY is the worst. How many more times do they have to fuck up before you people agree that I am right? 10? 20?
    Sony as a company is bad. The PSP as a device is pretty sweet.
  • Sony as a company isn't very good, I have no allegiance to them. But I prefer the PS3 controller, I like PS3-exclusive games, and I like having free online. When the PSN isn't down (which only happened once, I'll add), it's free online is just as good as Xbox Live.
    I hear ya. I also like the ability to play BluRay movies (one of the reasons I got a PS3 way back when). Of course, since the first breach, I no longer give Sony my credit card number. I instead purchase credits via Amazon and use the instant codes returned to add money to my PSN account as necessary.
    Before you guys jump to conclusions, perhaps you should actually RTFA and realize that the accounts were locked out because the hackers were doing a "keep trying different combinations until it works" attack. The hackers got the login information from other places, and just tried a bunch of stuff until they got ones that matched. This is just a case of people using the same username and password for multiple places. Sony did nothing wrong in this situation.
    I hear ya. I also like the ability to play BluRay movies (one of the reasons I got a PS3 way back when). Of course, since the first breach, I no longer give Sony my credit card number. I instead purchase credits via Amazon and use the instant codes returned to add money to my PSN account as necessary.
    BluRay is one of the major reasons why I hate Sony.