This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Google Reader

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
So I just started up a Google Reader. It's pretty interesting since I have never used an RSS reader before. Who here uses it? What do you guys think of it?

Comments

• I was going to talk about it before, but stuff came up. All I'll say now is that I've been using the new version for over a week now, and it is my RSS reader of choice. Perhaps I'll elaborate later.
  • Hmm, might have take a look at it. I've been using Feedreader and it's OK, but if there's something better out there, I'm all over it.
  • So I just started up a Google Reader. It's pretty interesting since I have never used an RSS reader before. Who here uses it? What do you guys think of it?
    You've never used a RSS reader before? *faint* I can't live without mine. I use bloglines.
  • I have used both Google and Netvibes. Personally I think Netvibes is slicker and more customisable, whereas in Google you just search for the feeds you want.
  • Meh, I just use the RSS ticker extention for Firefox. It takes up less space on my browser window, and I don't have to open anything up to use it.
  • Google Reader adds a feature so that you can share any website anywhere. This is really kinda cool. Rather than, say, using IM or Email to send a link to someone, you can use Google Reader. Which is especially good if you and your friends check Google Reader religiously.
  • Google Reader, the best RSS reader out there and the bane of my hockey watching habits.
  • For some weird reason I like to keep web comics on Operas own feedreader, but everything else it is Google reader for me. And maybe I should try to move web comics to Google too, because in some reason Opera like to slow my computer down at the moment when it tells me that there are new posts.
  • Just started using it recently myself, and I don't know how I lived without it. It's cut down the time I used to spend constantly checking websites by quite a bit (though my overall time spent dicking around online hasn't changed; it's just been diverted into forums and online Tetris instead). This is especially useful for my webcomics and subscribed YouTube channels, as those were the sites I used to methodically check the most out of habit whenever I was bored, thus eating up more of my time online than was necessary. It also makes it easier for me to keep up with blogs, which I hadn't really read frequently until I got Google Reader. Now I'm on the lookout for more good blogs to follow. :)
  • Is there a "google accounts" option in IDShare? We should all friend each other and share stuff.
  • I virtually don't go on normal internet anymore thanks to google reader. All my normal sites are there and I miss nothing! I especially like sharing, https, and the mobile veiws of Google Reader over others I've used.

In mobile view if I click the orional page link, Google optimizes the page for my BlackBerry.
  • For those of you who don't RSS catch, it's like time shifting the internet.
  • Is there a "google accounts" option in IDShare? We should all friend each other and share stuff.
    Not a bad idea. None of my friends use google reader, so I've always wanted a group of people to share stuff with.
    I'm re-writing the IDShare to be 10 times more awesome. Just hole up a week or two longer.
  • So maybe I'm an idiot, but is there an option to sort all your feeds by date so that the oldest post comes up first? I don't see it if it exists.
  • See the Folder/View Settings button when you are viewing a feed? Click that and select 'sort by oldest'. Combine that with the 'all items' page and only showing new items.
  • Yeah, but I don't want to go through all my feeds individually and change them by hand.
  • Yeah, but I don't want to go through all my feeds individually and change them by hand.
    ctrl+a to view all feeds...
  • I can see them all. I want to click one button to make all my feeds individually sorted from oldest to newest.
  • As lame as it is to "love" an RSS reader, I'm really loving the new features the GR team just pushed out. In case you don't follow all the hip happenings of the Google Reader world, they put out:

* Popular Items, which I see as a bit of a slap at Digg and Reddit: It looks at what you "like", "share" and "read" and suggests items you might like from among all the feeds currently subscribed to in all Google Reader accounts. It's basically Digg without having to change how you read things to get better results.

* Sort by Magic: Takes into account your reading habits, and tries to put the most interesting stories first. If you're a psychotic Google Reader fanboy checker like me, it works pretty well. I don't know how it works on someone who doesn't use it a whole ton, tho. It's pretty trainable, from what I've been told.
  • I've used RSS readers for years. Google Reader is easily the best and it also works between computers which is very useful indeed. In fact this topic came up in it as I was doing my morning trawl.
  • I've been holding onto Netvibes for too long now. It's really starting to fall apart so I'm going to start getting used to GReader. Any tips or is it just smooth sailing?
  • Google reader is brilliant, and up until very recently I used it for everything. Now, since I have a mac (hate hate, bitch bitch) I'm using a program called Reeder, that syncs with it.
  • I've been holding onto Netvibes for too long now. It's really starting to fall apart so I'm going to start getting used to GReader. Any tips or is it just smooth sailing?
    Export from Netvibes using OPML, import to reader. Set up a few good labels for everything if they're not already, and then (if you have an andorid phone) get the GR android app.