This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

The quest: Ubuntu on a PPC

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
So hear the quest starts. After posting in a different Thread about how ubuntu doesn't work on my mac I got a reply which said: "Use the Disk Utility Program form the Start disk to repartition your hard drive".

Now I booted my mac with the CD and then I found out that I would have to format my hard drive first. Now hoping Scott was right about ubuntu working on Mac I backup-ed everything and than formatted my hard drive and then created 2 partitions.

So I now inserted my ubuntu 6.0 which I had already downloaded and burned about 3 Weeks ago. I clicked on install, clicked through the whole menu, next, next, next etc. So than the only option I had to Dual Boot ubuntu on my mac was to manage the partition table manually. It wasn't hard. So I split the Linux half again and created a small swap space. It then started formatting and carried on. So then came the error message "Cannot create swap space". Going back and starting again I saw it hadn't even split my Linux Partition! In a bad mood I decided to give ubuntu 2 more chances. I downloaded ubuntu 6.10 Edgy and kubuntu 6.10 Edgy. After a long time downloading I burned the 2 images to 2 CD's and restarted my mac. I booted ubuntu 6.10 first it said to press enter, Enter, then my screen should a message that said something to the likes of "Invalid incoming Signal". So pretty much pissed and inserted kubuntu. Same thing!

So that was my worst day by my desk I had had. Even the stupid windows and slack ware didn't give me such problems when I had the same monitor on my old Thunderbird!

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Your message about not being able to create the swap partition is most likely you trying to create some impossible partition configuration. And yes, Windows would have the same problems, probably even worse. You have no know all about partitioning to install windows on a computer, but it gives you worse tools to partition the drive with.

Tell me what your partition table looks like right now, and I'll tell you how to fix it.
  • I came a bit further....
    Now it gives me this error log:

"raceback (most recent call last):
    File "/usr/bin/ubiquity", line 130, in ?
    install(sys.argv[1])
    File "/usr/bin/ubiquity", line 55, in install
    ret = wizard.run()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 266, in run
    self.process_step()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 741, in process_step
    self.mountpoints_to_summary()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 1029, in mountpoints_to_summary
    self.progress_loop()
    File "/usr/lib/python2.4/site-packages/ubiquity/frontend/gtkui.py", line 538, in progress_loop
    raise RuntimeError, ("Install failed with exit code %s; see "
    RuntimeError: Install failed with exit code 1; see /var/log/installer/syslog and /var/log/syslog"

Could anyone help me ?
    I set up my partition table like this:

Partition 1 Free Space 16 MB Debian Bootstrap
    Partition 2 Free Space 2 GB Debian swap space
    Partition 3 Free Space 20 GB Debian root filesystem
    Partition 5 Mac OS Extended (Journalled) 50 GB Mac OS X filesystem