This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Help me with my stupid computer.

edited October 2006 in Everything Else
My computer spends most of its time sounding like its trying to take off and fly around the world. It is rented so I can't actually open it and clean it or add anything to it (I know I'm an idiot for renting a computer, I realise that now). Is there anything I can do to make it perform better without modifying it in a way that will make RadioRentals mad at me? Or do I just have to put up with it for another 2 months until my term is up and I get a new one?

Comments

• Wow, I can't believe you rented a computer. If it's making a lot of noise that is probably the fans. Either they are incredibly full of dust, or there is a wire or something else getting hit by the fan. The noise could be your hard drive, but if that was the case you would be having other troubles. I don't know what the terms of your rental agreement are, but I suggest you take a close look at them before doing anything to the computer. My advice is to see if you can return the rental early. Either way, buy a real computer ASAP and forget that rented hunk of junk.
  • edited October 2006
    What Scott said. Most likely it is a fan. Or if the machine is on for a bit then the fan kicks into high gear that means that the unit is overheating. Do yourself a favor. Get rid of that box, go to www.gotapex.com and check out some deals on dells. They may not be the best but you can get a pretty awesome machine for under a grand.
    Post edited by baltmatrix on
  • Build a computer from parts you purchase at Newegg.com. If you aren't interested in 3D gaming, you can get a build a badass box for $400 or so.
  • Yea, I've been wanting to build a computer from Newegg eventually.. you can build one of those awesome $400 boxes and add a high end gfx card later, right?
  • Yea, I've been wanting to build a computer from Newegg eventually.. you can build one of those awesome $400 boxes and add a high end gfx card later, right?
    Depends on what type of motherboard you get (i.e does it have a PCI Express slot?).
    If you have to ask that question, then you should probably do some research. I do not suggest that you build a computer if you do not know wtf you are doing. The physical process of building a computer is very simple. The knowledge to purchase the correct parts and properly configure the BIOS and OS is something else. A $400 computer is no good if you buy the wrong stuff, break it, or can't make it work. Learn before you spend.

To actually answer your question, yes. If you buy a motherboard that has a PCI-X16 slot, then you can put any PCI-X16 card in it. If your motherboard has a video card built-in, you can use that and leave the PCI-X16 slot empty. Later you purchase a high-end PCI-X16 card, put it in the slot and disable the on-board video. If your motherboard does not have a built-in video card, you can purchase a low-end video card and replace it with a high-end video card later. Remember, a video card is what the monitor plugs into. You need one. Choosing the right one is not always easy.
  • I have to ask this: From where did you "rent" a computer?
  • I have to ask this: From where did you "rent" a computer?
    From RadioRentals and it seemed like a good idea at the time alright. I know it was stupid but it was almost 2 years ago now, I was young and naive, plus I'm at university aren't I meant to experiment?

I have done some research and am going to pick the components of my new computer based on the discussion that was on here and some further research. Things cost more in Australia so the same sort of machine that would cost you $400 is going to cost me about $800 but the nice man is going to build it for me. I've been around to most of the computer shops in Adelaide and chosen the one that a) game me the cheapest price and b) actually listened to what I wanted and helped me build the system I wanted instead of saying "well I'll give you a blah di blah blah, because you'll want to blah di blah". No I don't want to blah di blah I know what I want stupid, I fucked up with the last computer I got so I've researched this.

It will probably come to about $1000 with the monitor and etc. but might be less because the quote I got was a few months ago and the parts have dropped a lot in price since then.
  • Glad you've got it sorted man :). But seeing as you've done all the research already, why not just build the thing yourself? I built my 1st computer @ 13 (6 years ago now... time flies) so you can do it too right? You'll prolly save yourself a few $$$ and you can tell all ur mates you built it yourself lol! Make sure you earth yourself though!
  • Make sure the nice man gives you a warranty.
  • Glad you've got it sorted man :). But seeing as you've done all the research already, why not just build the thing yourself?
    Because I am chicken, and if it doesn't work I want to be able to blame somebody.
    Make sure the nice man gives you a warranty.
    Yes the nice man does give a warranty.