This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Metal Gear Solid

edited October 2006 in Video Games
What are your thoughts on the series? I haven't played the first one yet, going to get Twin Snakes soon, but I have MGS2 and 3. I really like their style and the mix of anime and realistic sort of things. They also look beautiful, which helps, too, and have awesome music. I was playing some of the MGS2 sountrack in my store on a stereo after we had closed(I work in a Best Buy) and it was so eerie and cool. There's also all the very interesting philosophy and such. Raiden doesn't bother me much, Solid Snake is obviously much cooler, but Raiden as the puzzled newcomer sort of gives us a differant perspective on things, more like the one we have as outsiders in this complicated world that Kojima has created.

Comments

• edited October 2006
    Weeeee!!! MGS4 gonna come out for 360.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • In my opinion, MGS1 kicked all kinds of ass. The second one also improved a lot upon the first. However, the story in the second turns into such a mindfuck at the end it seemed a little silly. The first one had a much better story, if a little predictable, in my opinion. The third one improved a ton on the second one again, but I thought it suffered from the same disjointed story. Not nearly as bad as the second, mind you. It seemed like after the first one, they thought of a whole bunch of improvements to the gameplay, implemented them, and then realized they have to write a story too. A lot of the bosses seem to show up without much reasoning, and be all like, "hey, I'm gonna fight you!" All in all, the first one was excellent, the second one was meh, the third one was better again. I would definitely play the first one.
  • MGS was great, but MGS2 was a bit too short for my tastes. I beat it in about 8 hours. Bleh. I wanted much more. There are lots of problems with the plots, if you care about such things. The biggest, I think, is that the writers had to go through a whole lot of effort to wrestle some of the baddies into the arc. There was a good story to begin with, and an interesting statement about genetic Darwinsim. Cram in Revolver Ocelot and it started to detract.

The controls in the MSG games, though, were among the best I've ever had the pleasure of using. Sure, there were a few issues with stickiness when standing up/laying down, but for the most part there was an incredible depth to what you could do with the character. I used the hell out of the corner-peeking and other stealth abilities.