This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

I did it!

edited October 2006 in Video Games
It took a day of sitting at home to finally get HL2 to work perfectly under wine in Ubuntu Linux, Edgy Eft. How did I do it? It was a multi-step process that was relatively painless. I still have some tweaking to do, though. I changed a whole bunch of options at once, and I'm not sure which one was the one that fixed it. Once I figure that out, I'll have maximum performance.

First I installed wine normally.
sudo apt-get install wine
I'm using wine 0.9.22. It's two wine versions old, but it's the current version for Edgy Eft. That's a good thing since I hear that 0.9.23 has OpenGL problems. However, 0.9.24 has support for dual monitors, which I would enjoy.

Next, I had to install the Tahoma font. I followed this guide. If you don't install Tahoma, Steam has no text. After installing Tahoma I performed the Steam installation. wine SteamInstall.exeIt's that simple. Steam will appear and you install it exactly the same way you do on Windows.

Next, I ran wine steam.exe Once Steam was running I installed HL1 as normal. It worked perfectly on the first try. Bam! But HL1 is not my concern. HL2 is the big fish we're trying to catch. Thus, I tried to download and play HL2 as normal. It worked, but very poorly. I was getting less than 1 fps. Heck, I was getting less than .01fps. Terrible.

To fix this I ran winecfg to change some settings. I setup a fake windows desktop of 1024x768 to keep steam from messing up my gnome desktop further. I switched the audio from OSS to ESD. I also fiddled with a few DirectX settings. Then, instead of just running wine steam.exe, I decided to launch HL2 directly with a few special options. I used this command to launch HL2 directly and bypass the Steam interface.
WINEDBUG="fixme-all" wine steam.exe -applaunch 220 +map_background none -console
-dxlevel 81 -novid

Now that I had HL2 running I went into the HL2 options menu. I set all the graphics settings to the lowest possible setting and set audio to low quality. All was not right in the world. I had beaten HL2 in the past, but only chapter 1 was available. I opened the HL2 console and typed the following to unlock all the levels. sv_unlockedchapters 15
I then started a game of HL2 starting at chapter 2. DING DING DING! It ran better than it ever did on Windows. Of course, I was missing 5.1 surround sound, but I might be able to bring that back. We'll see which one of the options I changed really did the trick after some more experimentation. The point is, I can now play HL2 without rebooting to Windows. Despite this achievement, I'm not removing my XP partition anytime soon. We'll have to see if TF2 and Portal run this nicely. If they do, it could spell the end for Windows in my house. I'm going to do some testing later with CS:Source to see if I've really got it going on.

Comments

• Scott, you're the man.
  • (Starts to slow clap)
  • Most excellent.

I'll attempt to repeat this process on my Gentoo box, and report the results.
  • I miss fighting with Linux to make things work just the way I like...The sense of accomplishment that you get after running 15 variations of the same f'ing command to get it to do what you want. Of course I...if i were still running Linux on my main computer I would have negative free time (I am near zero as it is)

After this semester maybe I will finally get Linux up and running in Parallels so that I can experience some more of that e17 goodness...
  • Report:

One 'emerge wine' later, and it works, more or less.
    I actually had better results with the OSS sound drivers than with ESD, but otherwise Scott's direct-launch command did the trick.
    One problem, though: water reflections were unbelievably fubar, even on the lowest detail setting. Maybe further fiddling will solve it, but not tonight.
  • water reflections were unbelievably fubar, even on the lowest detail setting. Maybe further fiddling will solve it, but not tonight.
    I have not yet encountered water.