This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061102 - US Midterm Elections

RymRym
edited November 2006 in Politics
Tonight on GeekNights, we, in the fashion of old newspapers, officially endorse our political picks for the US midterm elections. In the news, we have an interesting poll about gods and a free way to see some hockey.

Scott's Thing - An Almost Terrible Day at Work
Rym's Thing - Banana Spider Eats a Grub

Comments

• Oh My Fucking God..... this is not an omfg it's a Oh My Fucking God. After watching Rym's thing of the day, there was a "suggestion" thing after the video like there always is and I saw something that seemed to catch my eye... Snake Regurgitates Hippo It was one of those things that you have to watch but feel like you should turn away... but.. you. can't.
  • Oh My Fucking God..... this is not an omfg it's a Oh My Fucking God. After watching Rym's thing of the day, there was a "suggestion" thing after the video like there always is and I saw something that seemed to catch my eye...Snake Regurgitates HippoIt was one of those things that you have to watch but feel like you should turn away... but.. you. can't.
    That was the closest I've ever come to actually vomiting because of something I saw on the internet.
  • Your reading of the Harris survey was not entirely academically honest. Just because someone is not "absolutely certain" that there is a God, does not mean that they do not "believe in" God. The connection you made is just too big a leap.

For example, scientists will tell you that they can not be absolutely certain that the big bang theory is indeed accurate. However, those scientists would also tell you that they believe in it.

Sadly, this is what happens when you look at poll numbers hoping to infer a particular result. Your point was well taken, and much of what you said was valid. In this example, however, you let your bias seep through.
  • RymRym
    edited November 2006
    If you're not absolutely certain of your god's existence, then you don't actually have faith. You're starting to look at the belief rationally, and one of the most important aspects of "faith" is unquestioning belief and complete trust. Faith goes a step beyond rational thought and says "I choose to believe x regardless of other factors or evidence."
    For example, scientists will tell you that they can not be absolutely certain that the big bang theory is indeed accurate. However, those scientists would also tell you that they believe in it.
    Scientists are never "absolutely certain" of anything. Ever. There could always be a confounding factor, and we could always gather more information. Scientists are often "reasonably certain," such as when there is a mountain of evidence and no counter-example. There isn't even a foothill of evidence for the existence of deities, so no rational person can "reasonably certain" that they exist. They can be absolutely certain, but only if they choose to have faith. Half-faith is a ludicrous idea.

The point was that many of these people claim to be Christians or whatever, which comes with a specific belief in a specific deity, yet admit that they don't fully believe in said deity. A great many Jews straight-up don't believe in their god. They go through the rituals and culture for other, secular reasons, but don't actually believe in some omnipotent god. A lot of people with religious motives will include Jews in their statistics, yet in actuality many of them are atheists.

Furthermore,
    42 percent of all U.S. adults said they are not "absolutely certain" there is a God, including 15 percent who are "somewhat certain," 11 percent who think there is probably no God and 16 percent who are not sure.
    11 percent believe that there is no god at all, and 16 percent don't know. The highest level of confidence in the existence of a god within the 42 percent was "somewhat certain." Somewhat means "slightly, or of some degree or measure." That does not imply very much faith in a god's existence at all.

The 42 percent of people I talked about did not have substantial or significant belief in the existence of gods. Anyone with a level of confidence higher than "somewhat" was not included in the 42 percent.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • I find your lack of faith disturbing, ADMIRAL RYM.
  • edited November 2006
    My only point is that while you may have defined the difference (absolute certainty versus belief) in your mind, others may have different opinions. That's my point.

Trust me... I understand your point, but I think that you can't compare the two different question equally. Yes... you may compare them using your own opinions, but you can't assume others shared your viewpoint.

I do think that the question as to whether belief in god is declining was interesting - since they stated that the previous poll was identical. It appears, though, that you can't make that conclusion. Anecdotally, it appears to me that religion is doing just fine thanks to the fundamentalist Christian movement. In my area, while the older churches are somewhat stagnant, the newer fundamentalist churches are growing rapidly. But that's just my anecdotal observation.
    Post edited by Kilarney on
  • The HIGHEST LEVEL OF CONFIDENCE in the 42 percent was only "somewhat certain," and they only comprised 15 of that 42 percent. The rest had even lower levels of confidence. This was part of the study, not my opinion.

Even if you decide to count people who are only somewhat believers as faithful, that leaves 27 percent of Americans with a very clear lack of faith, which is still a significant number.

They didn't use the term "absolutely certain" in the course of the study. That was just the term used to group all of the people below a threshold of belief. Anyone with a higher level of faith than "somewhat" was counted as a believer who was "absolutely" certain.
  • Found on Fark:
    Pew research shows who votes and why. As an interesting side-note, your views on why polls are statistically meaningless were a) correct and b) echoed by Rush Limbaugh almost word for word... a couple of weeks ago. Personally, I was happy to give up annoying calls from pollsters earlier this year when I ditched my landline. Before that, though, I did screw with them and give outrageous answers to questions. Much fun, that.

On Election Day, watch the exit polls. They will be all over the place. Because members of different parties tend to vote at different times of the day, noon exit polls will show Democrats winning everywhere by a landslide. By 7 p.m., those numbers will appear much more balanced. Exit polls are nothing but the trashiest of entertainment. I compare them to the Maury Povich show.

Also, I can't stand it when TV stations start reporting results with 2% of the ballots counted. What numbers could be more meaningless?
  • I always hated how people that work for the candidates will fill the lawn of the local elementary school with all these signs. And also think that they can change your mind by handing out pamphlets when you get there. I mean do they really think they're going to change someone's mind at such a point? Don't they think people have made up their minds of who they're going to vote for already?
  • The study regarding faith was particularly interesting, especially in light of the most recent issue of Wired. It essentially touted athiesm as the next up-and-coming religion, headlining Richard Dawkins as the head of this effort. Good stuff, interesting shift for the ol red-white-and-blue.

On another note, I can't stress how important it is that all Texas residents vote for Kinky Friedman tomorrow!
  • On another note, I can't stress how important it is thatallTexas residents vote for Kinky Friedman tomorrow!
    A vote for Kinky is a vote for awesome!
  • edited November 2006
    Have you guys seen the midterm elections cartoon from the Daily Show? It was hilarious :D.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • On another note, I can't stress how important it is thatallTexas residents vote for Kinky Friedman tomorrow!
    A vote for Kinky is a vote for awesome!
    I second that!
  • I'm a proud member of the "lies to pollsters" group.

If I wasn't on jury duty today I would be driving all over the state talking to exit pollsters!
  • I'm a proud member of the "lies to pollsters" group.

If I wasn't on jury duty today I would be driving all over the state talking to exit pollsters!
    Jury duty on election day, holy crap!
  • RymRym
    edited November 2006
    Only once in my life was I ever called up for jury duty, and I was excused immediately. (Called up in Michigan three years after I'd moved to New York).
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Why don't you transfer the "lies to pollsters" philosophy to jury duty and really fuck somebody over? That would be fun. I'm in just black enough a mood to suggest being an ass during a trial.
  • Why don't you transfer the "lies to pollsters" philosophy to jury duty and really fuck somebody over? That would be fun. I'm in just black enough a mood to suggest being an ass during a trial.
    Maybe he'll get lucky and one of the candidates will have to come into court for some election-related judging. Then you'll be pissed if you didn't get put on the jury.
  • edited November 2006
    On another note, I can't stress how important it is thatallTexas residents vote for Kinky Friedman tomorrow!
    I did.
    Post edited by Dr. Zibbelcoot PhD on
  • edited November 2006
    I'm a proud member of the "lies to pollsters" group.

I would like to ask, if it's not being too polite for these forums, why do you count lying to exit pollsters as a badge of honor? Is it really that much more satisfying than simply ignoring them? What point are you trying to prove and to who?
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I think the point of lying to exit pollers is a commentary on the uselessness of exit polling. Smart people know it's bullshit, but the news media acts like it has some significant meaning. By lying to the poller you are confirming what you already know.
  • Also, Digg has shown as that the "Wisdom of Crowds" only works if the crowd does not know what the other people in the crowd are thinking.

By releasing exit polling data early in the day (when most Democrats vote) it skews the afternoon (Republican) voting.

Releasing exit polling data before the polls are closed can greatly affect the outcome of an election. If you hear, on the way to the polls, that your candidate is behind by 10% you are more likely to say, "fuck it, I'll just go home!"

I can understand using exit polling as a check on the election and to see why certain demographics vote the way they do but... Releasing this data before the polls closed should be considered as trying to influence the election.

So, by lying to the exit pollsters I skew their results as to make them useless.
  • I think the point of lying to exit pollers is a commentary on the uselessness of exit polling. Smart people know it's bullshit, but the news media acts like it has some significant meaning. By lying to the poller you are confirming what you already know.
    So you're saying you make it bullshit because you know its bullshit. A stunning flow of logic there Scott.
  • Pollsters are evil, because they do not create information; they create disinformation.

It used to be that you could show me a statistic and I would accept that number as being true. Now I know better. Polls lie. They are skewed no matter how carefully they are performed, because there are fundamental problems with the mechanics. Worst of all, polls only measure the opinions of the kind of people that are willing to participate in polls. But on a more basic level, it's the Schroedinger's Cat experiment; once you observe something, you have changed it. There is no such thing as a completely objective poll.

What frustrates me is that polls are largely unscientific samplings that are (except for entertainment) unreliable data. When too many unreliable pieces of data are placed in a set, the entire set is discredited. That is why you could have 10 polls, with eight showing the same results, and still I think most people would ignore the majority implications. The dissenting two polls cast too much doubt.

For instance, riddle me this, Batman: Are eggs good for you? How about coffee? How about wine?
    Scores of studies provide conflicting results. Because of this, those studies are largely ignored by the public now when they are released. The same goes for polls. There have been too many unreliable entiries in the data set.

Republicans show Republicans winning tonight. Democrats show Democrats winning tonight. Ralph Nader shows Ralph Nader winning tonight, even though he's not running. The information emanating from polls has a terrible track record (if polls were accurate, John Kerry would be president and we'd all be in church on Sunday morning). Moreover, there is simply too much polling data flooding the marketplace of ideas. It's such a heavy bombardment that we tend to just shut it out.

Thus, I fuck with pollsters.
  • Thank you, Jason. That's a reasonable argument that doesn't rely on circular logic for its end conclusion.
  • LOL I said the same thing that Scott did. By the way, the Republican candidate for governor in Ohio conceded about an hour and a half ago already, before all the polling stations were even closed and with only about 15 percent of the votes counted. It's that bad. The whole state, nearly every single position up for grabs, is going universally for Democrats for the first time in decades.
  • Ding Dong Santorum is gone! Yay!
    Spitzer won by a shitton. I will attribute that to our endorsement.
    FUCK YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • What are US polling stations like? Do you have people handing out how to vote cards? Is there a sausage sizzle?