This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

GeekNights 061107 - Trigun

RymRym
edited November 2006 in Anime

Tonight on GeekNights, we review Trigun. In the news, ths US mid-term elections are over as Democrats take over Congress, and Best Buy is now selling Japanese import DS games.

Scott's Thing - Extreme Train Surfing
Rym's Thing - One Got Fat

Comments

• Woop for Trigun, definitely up in my top five too, I gotta agree.
  • Holy effing God was that video bizarre! And -WTF- was up with those masks?!

Definitely the most disturbing thing I've seen this week...
  • Glad to know people agree with me about the Trigun manga. Good god, I read the first volume and it just had no flow to it, made no sense... god. Damn. If the anime actually is so great I'll have to have a look at it! The manga made me give up on the anime. I figured it was just one of those horrible anime that was totally overhyped *cough*Love Hina*cough*.
  • Terminal velocity of a skydiver is roughly 150 mph. Unless you are this guy.
  • Oh god I am so calling BS on the train surfer. I don't for a second believe this guy died of leukemia. The truth is probably more like he made up a tear jerking story to cover his ass if he and his friends ever got caught. I'll bet he concealed his face not because of wind or bugs, but to hide his identity. Hell, skydivers don't cover their mouths. If I wanted to protect anything from splatting on my face at 100+ MPH it would be my EYES.

Was the shot of his grave necessary? That was so extremely corny that up until then I almost believed it. I almost fell for the cheesy Enya and Knockin' on Heaven's Door theme music. If you were an extreme German guy and you were doing an extreme video of yourself being extreme in Germany, what would make the best soundtrack? Not Enya. I'd use Helloween, Gamma Ray or even the Scorpions. I'd show myself kicking ass to ass kicking music. Even if you dismiss personal taste in music, don't you think if this is a video done postmortem by his friends that they would use German music?

Someone please google this guy and show me I am wrong. Find out his real name or any other details of his life. Until I see that I say it's all BS made up to appeal to the 20 something extreme sports crowd on YouTube. Wake up! Where is your skepticism people? Think about this!
  • Whee! I'll have a donut! :3
  • Oh god I am so calling BS on the train surfer.
    It very well could be faked. The guy could be dead. I give it a 50/50 shot since there is no evidence either way. However, his dying doesn't matter so much. The fact, with video evidence, is that he surfed on a mother fucking train. If he's alive that's all the more awesome because it means he surfed on a train and survived. If he's actually still alive, I'll shake is hand.
  • Why is it pronounced Vaash and not Vash? I've always said it the latter way as in the anime... Flame away
  • They say it the former way in the anime. In Japanese. ^_~
  • edited November 2006
    The fact, with video evidence, is that he surfed on a mother fucking train. If he's alive that's all the more awesome because it means he surfed on a train and survived. If he's actually still alive, I'll shake is hand.
    I totally admit that this person, regardless of his fate, has cemented himself as one of the most awesome people ever. Not only would I give him tremendous props for the train surfing, but if he's still alive he gets +10 awesome for faking his own death. The problems I have with this though are a) if he is still alive then what's the use of being famous anonymously and b) if he's dead, what's the point of remaining anonymous?

Trainrider ties in so neatly with the "Shameless Self Promotion" topic that it almost should have been a TotD for that show. Okay but back on topic. So on one hand, if he's alive, who really gives a crap. What he's done is awesome and he gets mad credit for it. Understood. But that's just the thing. If he's alive he's the most awesome dumbass on the planet. He has done this awesome thing but by concealing his identity he gets no acclaim, no internet fame, no notoriety, no accomplishment tied directly to him or his reputation. He goes uncredited. There is the self satisfaction he might get from knowing he's got all this attention, but is it not the point of the pursuit of awesome to have said awesomeness directly attributed to one's self?

I say there is no point in being awesome just for the sake of being awesome. Going uncredited is like being awesome in a dark room full of people, then leaving, and after you're gone you have a friend shout "There was someone being awesome in here!" Sure people will know about it and be aware of it because your friend told them, but what good does that do you? You're outside now.

If he's dead then why not reveal his name? Why keep the grave covered? I understand the dramatic emotional impact his death gives the story. In a sense he becomes every guy who ever had leukemia in Germany and that's a fantastic anonymous legacy. But on the other hand something like this could be depressing to leukemia patients who look up to this guy but don't have the motivation to accomplish anything this wild and crazy.

In the end I'll chalk this one up to me being jerked around by the internets again. Trainrider does raise some interesting points about the measure of a person's accomplishments in life and what it means to be awesome. What exactly would be a great thing to do with your remaining time? Are your accomplishments any less awesome if you didn't die of leukemia a year later? I think for dramatic effect I'll append "and then they died of leukemia a year later" to my thoughts the next time I watch a Bionic Commando speed run or people in an assembly line making Wiis on YouTube or whatever.
    Post edited by EvilKingMacrocranios on
  • I think we covered the fame thing when we went on a rant about Star Wars kid and Numa-Numa guy. If you do something awesome and get famous, you have to deal with it. Star Wars kid did not deal with it in a good way. Numa-Numa guy eventually embraced it. Doing something to avoid the fame, if it is unwanted, is perfectly acceptable. Personally I would not avoid fame, but if that's what someone wants to do, they can go right ahead. Embracing fame and going with the flow is good. Avoiding fame and getting out of the water is ok too. Just don't be Star Wars kid. If you try to swim against the flow, don't complain when you drown.

If the trainrider is dead, he's dead. If he is indeed faking his death, he might be doing it to avoid getting caught. I doubt that trainsurfing is legal. If he were caught, I'm sure he would face a stiff penalty. By saying he is dead in the video he might prevent authorities who see the video from starting an investigation. It's awesome all around.
  • I went to my local BB here in NJ just a little while ago, and sure enough Jump Superstars and the Naruto import were there. I was sure they weren't. I was also checking out the PSP games section, and saw a Naruto import game there. So that must be the reason there is a PSP side to that site.
  • edited November 2006
    They say it the former way in the anime. In Japanese. ^_~
    I guess it's just the New York(?)-London accent difference that makes us sound different in the way we say it...

(Yes, London accent, there's no such thing as a "British" accent)
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I just start watching Trigun. I watched a few episodes back when it was on cartoon network. I'm a little confused; on the episode Rym and Scott stated that Vash was a completely against killing but in the third episode he seems o break a guys neck. Did the creators re-develop Vash's character mid-show?
  • I just start watching Trigun. I watched a few episodes back when it was on cartoon network. I'm a little confused; on the episode Rym and Scott stated that Vash was a completely against killing but in the third episode he seems o break a guys neck. Did the creators re-develop Vash's character mid-show?
    I know the part you're talking about. The guy isn't dead, just KO'd.
  • Okay, he just seemed to stop squirming; and the "camera" never pans down on him again; then I don't believe he is seen running out of the town. Thanks for the input.

The show is really good so far, even though I am still in the silly episodes.