This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• I had Atari 2600 and grew up with NES and also 16-bit systems. While I was in college, there were kids a few years younger than me who grew up with the Playstation as their primary system, and never had 16-bit systems or NES.
    But, I'm more than few years younger than you and I grew up with NES. Although, I also grew up with Playstation, but that was later.

• Reviews will pick up steam again in the next couple of months. Scott's watching a bunch of shows that I was watching before.
  • I had Atari 2600 and grew up with NES and also 16-bit systems. While I was in college, there were kids a few years younger than me who grew up with the Playstation as their primary system, and never had 16-bit systems or NES.
    How many is "A few"? Because it may just be where you grew up. I'm 3-ish years younger than you, and I was all about the NES and SNES when they came out.
  • The NES came out in the US in 1985.
    Yes, but I was sentient before it fell out of style.
    I got mine in 1987. You know it was old-school, because it came with the grey Zapper. No bright orange bullshit for me!

• I also had the grey zapper. It broke, however, and was replaced with an orange one...
  • edited April 2013
    You think my generation hasn't played Four Swords? Wow, you've become an out of touch old person in the weirdest way.
    Haha, no I didn't mean it like that! I meant it like, good luck playing 4-Swords now.

Reviews of hidden gems from our past that may not be easily accessible anymore.

Like I'm sure that we have all played N64 before, but has EVERYONE played 4 player Goldeneye? Would anyone assemble a N64 and 4 bunches of bananas just to play it?

Does the game even hold up today??

Like I said, I'd like more reviews of just... Geeky stuff.

And yes, wrong thread :P

Post edited by InvaderREN on

• Like I'm sure that we have all played N64 before, but has EVERYONE played 4 player Goldeneye? Would anyone assembly a N64 and 4 bunches of bananas just to play it?

Yes and Yes it does.

• Like I'm sure that we have all played N64 before, but has EVERYONE played 4 player Goldeneye? Would anyone assembly a N64 and 4 bunches of bananas just to play it?

Yes and Yes it does.
    See, I need to know these things :)

• GoldenEye doesn't hold up well today unless you have nostalgia for it.
    Then best you do a show on nostalgia and shit that doesn't hold up :)

• Not a bad idea for a show. "The He-Man Factor."
  • Not a bad idea for a show. "The He-Man Factor."
    Dat name!

• edited April 2013
    GoldenEye doesn't hold up well today unless you have nostalgia for it.
    Multiplayer does offer the "local multiplayer FPS" thing that not many games have done as well since, but the singleplayer is completely insignificant.
    Post edited by Greg on
    Multiplayer does offer the "local multiplayer FPS" thing that not many games have done as well since, but the singleplayer is completely insignificant.
    It's not too many years since I emulated and played through Goldeneye and I still really like the singleplayer. Sure, it's outdated, especially when Perfect Dark exists, which pretty much does what Goldeneye did, but little bit better. Objective based levels and objectives changing depending on difficulty level are things that are still not used often enough.

• I currently possess an N64 and Goldeneye, although they're currently in storage and I'm short on controllers.

As for starting video games, I'm about a decade younger than Scrym, and the first console I played was the SNES, but I really grew up on the N64 and Windows 95. I feel a tad young now.
  • I currently posses Goldeneye, but no N64.
  • I have the whole kit-&-kaboodle, but why golden-eye when you can time-splitters?
  • I have the whole kit-&-kaboodle, but why golden-eye when you can time-splitters?
    Why TimeSplitters when you can 201X?
  • Nice to meet you all!
    Welcome! It was cool to meet ya at PAX.
  • I've been here before, but I haven't in a long while. Just kinda re-introducing myself and thought this might be the best place to ask what the big discussions are here that I should probably get myself caught up on.
  • Right now the MLP:FIM thread, Fail/Thing of Your Day threads, and Current Events are pretty big. But feel free to resurrect an old thread if you have cool stuff to contribute!
  • Yeah, this thread is fairly unique in that necro'ing old threads is cool so long as it's relevant and not being done out of randomness.
  • Yeah, this forum is fairly unique in that necro'ing old threads is cool so long as it's relevant and not being done out of randomness.
    I don't think anyone cares even if it is random.
  • Yeah, this forum is fairly unique in that necro'ing old threads is cool so long as it's relevant and not being done out of randomness.
    I don't think anyone cares even if it is random.
    Sorry, mate. Been up over 24 hours after a really tough day yesterday. >_<
  • Hey everyone. I'm Dan, though I often go by Arcadian or some variant thereof on the interwebz. I'm 25 and finishing up the first year of my PhD in Classics at Michigan. I'm a good friend of Linkigi's since we overlapped in college by a year and were in the same literary society, and I met Axel through him. At this point I just wanna get through grad school intact and get a decent postdoc or a tenure-track job.

My geekeries include moderate amounts of a lot of things: anime, "children's" cartoon shows (MLP included), Doctor Who, not nearly as much gaming as I'd like, and a lot of general sci-fi and fantasy stuff. I'm also a sucker for pretty much anything Greco-Roman or that looks like it might have been written by people with a moderate grasp of Latin syntax (thank you Mahou Sensei Negima). Other not-quite-traditional-geek things that elicit similar levels of obsession in me are Broadway musicals, choral singing, gay/queer stuff, Marxist stuff, and aesthetics in general.
  • edited May 2013
    Hey everybody. I'm Russell, though you may call me Reese since it's shorter and in my user name. I got the nick-name Reese when a friend on another forum "chocolatized" my name. Herr, the German for mister was added later for reasons no one remembers. But what's in a name? You guys want to know the good stuff.

I'll be 25 this month and I've just finished the second year of a Bachelors degree in Computer Science. Two years ago when I was ready to try college again after recovering from the worst battle in my life-long war with mental illness, I mustered the will to pursue a career in a field I've been in love with for nearly as long as I could walk and talk.

My geekeries are as follows, in no particular order: underwear pervert comics, cartoons, manga, anime, video games (more story and/or strategy based than skill-based), boardgames, tabletop RPGs, CCGs, sci-fi television, modern/urban fantasy novels, classical literature, poetry, Linux, computer programming, economics, and most recently amateur radio (studying for my technician class license at the moment). I've probably missed something; and yes, I do have too many interests, but I blame the world for being too interesting to resist.

Thank you for welcoming me to the ivory tower. I hope I won't disappoint, but I feel I'll fit right in.
    Post edited by Herr_Reese on
  • Welcome. You didn't mention where you were from. If you don't want to that's ok. Anyhoo, welcome!
  • guess who's back
    guess who's back
    guess who's back

You guys are nice. Tumblr is great, but also teenager-y and hateful. So I'm adding this back into the things I check because writing words is good for me, probably.