This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• edited October 2014
    Thanks. :)
    Post edited by Zalor on
  • I'm John
    Long time listener. I was influenced by the Geeknights to dig into Table top gaming, and Net Runner.
    I'm 23. I work retail and have been going to college for an absurd amount of time.
    Can't think of anything else important!
  • I'm John
    Long time listener. I was influenced by the Geeknights to dig into Table top gaming, and Net Runner.
    I'm 23. I work retail and have been going to college for an absurd amount of time.
    Can't think of anything else important!

What kind of tabletop games are you into?

• Zalor said:

I especially like the Utena analysis videos and wish more people treated anime more intellectually.

So pretty much the primary geeky aspect about me is how deadly serious I treat my anime.

Virtual high-five! I suppose it's because a solid number of avant-garde anime can be appreciated for their superficial merits and their intellectual merits, but most "fans" only seem to associate with the superficial.

For instance, while Tengen Toppa Gurren Lagann is well-known for its over-the-top everything, there are still some timeless, nuanced kernels of truth beneath the ridiculous explosions, occasional fan-service, and melodrama.

Nonetheless, I still think the 40k universe's intellectual merits are the most under-appreciated. Thank you, Ultrasmurfs and Matt Ward... :(
  • Hethalos said:

What kind of tabletop games are you into?

Mostly RPG's I do want to introduce more games to my group though. It's hard to get people motivated to anything but Yugio and MTG.

• Mostly RPG's I do want to introduce more games to my group though. It's hard to get people motivated to anything but Yugio and MTG.

I understand. I don't know if this helps, but you can try finding a game with plenty of innovative mechanics and sell them on the game's groundbreaking features.

• Hello,

My name is Gabe. I have been a Geek Nights Wednesday listener for the past six months. I am of the rare and maligned windows phone listeners. You will be happy to know you topped the app search for Anime podcasts there.

I wish I had discovered geek nights earlier. I have been running a small anime community in Indianapolis, the Indy Anime Underground, for the past six years. I also write for a con website in England, U.K. Anifest.

I appreciate the sense of community and shared appreciation an online forum like this plays. I was a moderator and online content screener at Current TV. There I also ran an Otaku news group which occasionally contributed content for air. I was also had reviews on three episodes of the Rotten Tomatoes Show.

Currently I work a full time office job and part time at my local PBS station. While it doesn't leave much time for Anime viewing I get together with friends at least once a week to host a pop culture podcast, www.kindofepicshow.com. On the show you can hear me interview nerdy icons like Brian Henson, Jason David Frank and Jim Butcher.

Thanks for having me!
  • My name is Ken. I am an adult human male who is currently employed. I am a college graduate, but my diploma's not worth a hell of a lot, but at least it led to the previously mentioned employment.

I have contributed to the birth of 0 children.
    I like pizza.
    I live video games (console, mobile, and PC).
    I like anime.
    I like film.
  • Hi new people!
  • edited February 2015
    :)
    Post edited by Michipoo18 on
  • Scott and I will return soon and breath life again into this world. Stay tuned. ;^)
  • edited February 2015
    I can't believe I haven't done this yet:

My real name is Zen Yan and I am currently doing my undergrad in engineering at Queen's University. I wish to specialize in civil engineering and become an architect after I graduate. My major hobbies include: drawing mostly science-fantasy and on occasion other subjects which are fusions of at least two distinct genres, watching anime, playing combat-driven board games, painting miniatures, posting on Boardgamegeek, playing Titan (board game, not anime, and definitely not Titanfall!) competitively online on the iPad, posting on Deviantart, occasionally doing probability calculations to gain an edge in stochastic board games, and designing my own board games. At the time of this post, I am working on a board game called "Eldritch" which is essentially a deckbuilding, 4x-ish, PvP game.

As far as my life story is concerned, I don't have too many remarkable things other than the fact that I won a Gold Standard, a Silver Standard, and a Bronze Standard in national math competitions sponsored by the University of Waterloo; that I graduated with the highest average in my high school; and that I have a miscellany of other medals from math contests which I won't bother listing. Also, I had never anticipated that my Calculus professor would make a question about Carebears giving hugs on my first Calculus midterm. I wish I was joking, but I'm not.

Post edited by Hethalos on
  • What is the derivative of pressure over time when Grumpy Bear hugs the other care bears? Following this trend, will he eventually crush Funshine Bear to death?
  • MATATAT said:

What is the derivative of pressure over time when Grumpy Bear hugs the other care bears? Following this trend, will he eventually crush Funshine Bear to death?

Actually, it was more around the lines of: a Carebear is driving on a parabolic path modeled by a parametric function that resembled a parabola. At what point should he press the button on his car so he can send a hug to Lionheart, who is standing at (-1,0). Either way, it's weird.

• I'm Basheer, I'm a 21 year old Indian Muslim. Psych major at Santa Clara University. I like Scifi/Fantasy Novels (Often of questionable quality), writing, an odd smattering of TV shows and anime, DnD, biking, and weightlifting.
  • edited April 2015
    Cool! Welcome to the forums. Why don't you make a post in the 'What are you reading" thread? I'm interested in your taste in books.
    Post edited by GreyHuge on
  • Hi, I'm Dave. I'm a teacher at a private school. I have an interest in game theory which is how I found GeekNights YouTube, then the podcast from there. I love table top games and comics of the X-Men variety.
  • Rad people continuing to radly join our rad forums. #rad
  • My name is Jason. I've been listening to GeekNights for a year or two. I'm an Engineer at a gaming company. I work on the platform technology, so it's really just business stuff but I get the benefits of the culture with the non gaming world pay.

I enjoy video games and board games. Like most people it seems I never have time to play all the things so lately I've been really into Monster Hunter and board games whenever people are around.
  • edited July 2015
    Very cool. Welcome to the Ivory Tower Jungle.
    Post edited by Victor Frost on
  • Hi, my name is Logan. I am a student of Physics, Astrophysics, and Nuclear Engineering at OSU with interest in computational applications of physics. I have been listening to GeekNights for about a year, but skip most of the stuff on anime because it isn't my jam, unless it is Golgo 13 in which case it is.

I enjoy gaming, programming, and building electronics projects that have been referred to as "crimes against logic."
  • Hello! My name is Paul.

I discovered GeekNights at Anime Boston after seeing 3 different panels by Rym + Scott. It was their Utena panel that finally sold me on checking out the podcast they were relentlessly plugging. I've been listening regularly since then, dipping into the archives only for the "Gnosis of Street Fighter" show which, as an amateur Fighting Games player, was hilarious and endearing.

I'm in my mid-twenties. I live in NYC with a colorful collection of roommates from different walks of life and absolutely love it. I work as a Software Engineer for a marketing startup.

Hobbies include:
    - Watching anime (obligatory MAL link: http://myanimelist.net/animelist/MrLuckyWaffles)
    - A general interest in animation (Don Hertzfeldt is my favorite filmmaker)
    - Fighting games (Street Fighter 2/4, Skullgirls, Blazblue)
    - Splatoon
    - Magic the Gathering (specifically, the variant known as EDH/Commander)
    - Tabletop games (recent favorites: Splendor, Great Dalmuti, Skull)
    - Barbershop
    - Trying to be a more active/critical consumer of media

Nice to meet ya'll :3
  • Good to have you. ;^)

• - Magic the Gathering (specifically, the variant known as EDH/Commander)

I, too, enjoy seven hour M:TG games. ;3
  • Neito said:

I'm trying to get into Tiny Commander.
  • Wyatt said:

Neito said:

I'm trying to get into Tiny Commander.
    It's pretty good.
  • edited October 2015
    I'm Dave, born in 1990, graduated from RIT with a BS in IT in 2014. I'm a junior system administrator for some company you've never heard of. I hail from south eastern Connecticut in a place with a bunch of woods nearby for potentially unsafe activities. I consider myself to still be a punk kid with a ton to learn and that's a large part of why I listen to GeekNights. Knowing MRTG, and SNMP probably got me my current job and definitely weren't included in my degree.

I first heard of the podcast at Anime Boston 15 when I was turned away at the door of judge anime by its cover. I was kinda bummed but found the AB 13 judge anime by its cover on my laptop in the room that night and they mentioned that they were also RIT alums and I was sold. Looked up everything they ever did and have been listening ever since.
    Post edited by Naoza on
  • A fellow Connecticutan! Welcome!
  • Thank you!

I've never found a good collective noun to refer to people from Connecticut. Wikipedia's list of demonyms for US states lists several variants on the state name and Nutmegger. Which is a term I used to like until I found out it was also a term for recreational users of nutmeg, which, I assume, means people who don't know what the placebo effect is.
  • edited October 2015
    Naoza said:

I've never found a good collective noun to refer to people from Connecticut. Wikipedia's list of demonyms for US states lists several variants on the state name and Nutmegger. Which is a term I used to like until I found out it was also a term for recreational users of nutmeg, which, I assume, means people who don't know what the placebo effect is.

Are you referring to the hallucinogenic properties of freshly ground nutmeg in large doses? If so, it does contain myristicin which is known to have psychoactive effects. Then again, if you're like me and your friends in high school bought ground nutmeg from Stop & Shop and snorted it because they're a bunch of fools, then I totally get what you mean.
    Post edited by Alaric728 on