This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Identify Yourself

Comments

• I'm Jim, a roguishly handsome 21 year old Purdue University undergrad. I'm currently working on completing my BS in Industrial Engineering. I'm a fairly huge anime geek and I used to be a much more hardcore gamer, but that kinda died in the last few years and I'm struggling to get back into gaming (Damn You Engineering!). I'm the treasurer of the Purdue Anime Club (PAC) and we held a small semi-convention in my dorm last April. I'm trying to get the club to spend some cash on some recording equipment to try and get a Podcast started and maybe get this convention thing to become larger and more serious this year.
  • edited June 2007
    Ok. Hi.

So, please don't kill me with sticks if I dont do the real-name bit. It's a thing. Absolute basics: I'm a guy, in my mid twenties, just making a living doing some video editing and DVD design/authoring work for a small university. Immediately relevant interests include: some anime, PC games, PC technology (well, come upgrade-time), other sciences and an appreciation of most of the honest-and-cool randomness that seems to come up on GeekNights.

Here are some easy-to-manage and completely skippable tidbits-about-me:

- My nick isn't a bastardization of Vash or related to Trigun at all. It's a truncation of a name I made up one day.

- I've been called an MST3K-person... as if directly in contrast to other types of people. Somehow I'm ok with that, though, because people who say they 'don't get' MST3K tend to make me a little suspicious.

- Regardless of their own beliefs, my parents never told me I needed to go to church. They helped and encouraged me to educate myself about philosophy and spirituality and allowed me to find my own way. I think they're beautiful and exceptional people for this.

- As a kid I dearly loved the darker, more serious episodes of Real Ghostbusters which resulted in a love of any slightly dark or sinister animation, drama or not. That all also kickstarted my love of noir-styled... anything.

- I dug text adventures, arcade games and RPGs on the Apple2. I still think Grim Fandango is the best game ever produced, although I love some cheesy shareware games nearly as much - so what do I know?

- Sneakers, for various reasons, is my favorite movie. (Not saying the best. Just favorite.)

- I hope someday to be as insane and paranoid as Philip K. Dick. Only... I aim to get there without the crippling drug abuse. =]

I'll leave it there. Simple's better to start with, yeah?

(Edit due to ulist working fine in preview and futzing up in actual post. Hooray?) =/
    Post edited by Vesh on
  • I'm Suvrat, a high school/middle school student and I live in Illinois. I am very interested in programming and am writing small applications in object-oriented languages such as C# and Visual Basic. I first realized my obsession with geekery the moment I could think independently. I have always been facinated by technology and I became and Anime geek at the age of 9. I'm what you'd call the "geek of the school" for everybody, quite literally, knows me. They don't like me but they know me.
  • edited June 2007
    Hi everyone. my name is Tim, I am 35 and I live in Shoreham By Sea, near Brighton on the south coast of England. I live with my girlfriend Sarah and we have twins that are 19 months old. My day job is in fire alarm maintenance and I hope to make engineer one day. My favourite sports are cricket (obsessive), boxing and F1. Football, or soccer as you Americans call it, is not really my cup of tea which is seen as quite unusual in this country, it's the number one sport here and not supporting a team is not the norm.
    Ever since I was a boy, I have loved gaming although I am not hardcore. I have owned many many consoles through the years but never been into PC gaming. My all time favourite video games are Tomb Raider, Grand Theft Auto Vice City and God of War. My favourite TV show is Star Trek TNG, and Queen are my choice for favourite group.
    I discovered Podcasts last year and have since built up a large subscription list. I discovered Geeknights through "Simply Syndicated" and have slowly caught up with the back catalogue, Great stuff guys, please keep it up.
    Post edited by Trekkygeek on
  • Yo everyone, my name is Graham. I'm a Geordie which means I'm from Newcastle, Enlgand. 21 is the years i have been on this earth in this form - who knows what others I assumed?

I have, almost literally, just completed University doing a course in Multimedia Computing and would recommend it to anyone who wants to feel rounded but unfocused and wants to start hating computers more than they did when they started. I am looking for a job in...anything and want to leave home as soon as I am profitable, for the moment I hold a job as a lights and sound techie at Northumbria Students Union.

I am rather laid back in personality and will go along with the crowd so long as i don't oppose what they want, i can be really odd sometimes and have recently started saying my thoughts allowed before queestioning if i had just done that.

I tend to enjoy too many things which leaves me with little money or time to spend on any of them (somehow). I like computer games and use a 360 or PC for home gaming and whatever is available upon trips to friends. I occasionally roleplay and am currently an unhappy DMer but the most qualified to fill the position. I dabble into Wahammer and 40k from time to time, enjoy comics now and then, boardgames are taking up increasing amounts of space but unlike most don't find animes the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Outside of of geekery I enjoy a small range of extreme sports, skating, bodyboarding and skiming and like gigs as often as I can.
  • 'ey y'all, I'm Nate and I'm in the OC, which is nothing like on TV. Curse that show for making me want to clarify that every time I bring it up >.>

I'm a high school student, and I'm mostly an anime and video game geek. Technology tends to confuse me, so that's a large reason why I haven't gotten into that.

Anime doesn't take up a considerable amount of my time, but I do enjoy watching it very much. I'm very involved at the club at my school and am going to be president next year, so hope I don't drive the club into the ground. I'm currently trying to catch up in Bleach, and some of my favorite anime include Welcome to the NHK, Inukami, Melancholy of Suzumiya Haruhi, FMA, and Azumanga Daioh.
    Video games tend to take up more of my time, but I'm not as geeky about it as I am with anime. I'm a Nintendo fanboy, but I will seriously play anything with anyone as long as the people I'm playing with don't go on a tirade about how their system is so much better than mine.

I'm lookin' forward to getting to chat with all of you more :D
  • 'ey y'all, I'm Nate and I'm in the OC, which is nothing like on TV. Curse that show for making me want to clarify that every time I bring it up >.>
    You won't have to clarify it if you just call it Orange County -_-; Glad to hear there is another member from my neck of the woods. I go to high school slightly south of there.
  • edited June 2007
    Hello, My name Is Rob.  I'm from the great white frozen butthole that is Canada.  I'm from a town called Labrador city, which is in the province of Labrador, home of the largest iron ore mine in Canada.
    I watch more anime than any human should (Yesterday, I sat down and watched Death Note from start to finish).  I love anything that has a deep storyline or that screws with my mind (Ergo Proxy). Besides my love affair with anime, I'm also an avid gamer and reader.  I play mostly RTS and racing games, however I've been known to pick up a random FPS and pull some headshots. I am a firm believer that H.P Lovecraft was one of the best writers the world has ever seen.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • edited June 2007
    Hi, my name is Kenneth, although nearly everyone calls me Kenny.  Born at the end of July, 1988, I'm from the empty north of the UK: Scotland.  I recently started Uni studying electrical engineering and computer science, but am soon going to drop the comp science part, as I hate it. I really enjoy PC gaming and am secretary of the university's gaming society in addition to being and active in a few others: namely the Taekwondo and anime societies.
    Post edited by Rym on
  • Hey guys - s'Ananth.

I know Rym and Scott through Aido - I've hung out with them a few times and they're pretty cool. I guess.

I'm a designer, illustrator, and animator based out of DC. I write Applegeeks or something.

I read and write a lot.
  • I'm called Aleksi and I'm 17 years old geek from Finland. I'm gamer, role-player, larper, anime watcher, interested of fantasy and sci-fi and web-comics reader. I study in upper secondary school, focusing on mathematics and physics.

I heard about geeknights just a little time ago, but I instantly noticed that I liked the show because I'm somewhat interested of all different fields of geekness that geeknights have.
  • I'm Geneviève (be impressed by my really original user name...) I'm a francophone from Québec, Canada. I've been listening to Geeknights ever since the Zombie episode and finally got around to joining the forum.... a few weeks ago. This is my first post. I'll admit, I'm fairly lazy.

I'm a student and I'm currently doing my master in marketing. Is it safe to say this on these forums?

Anyway, I'm mostly an anime, manga, comic book and video game geek. As soon as I have time again, I plan to get into board games. I'm a bit incompetent when it comes to computers but at least I'm willing to learn.
  • Moshi-moshi*, my name is Luke. I'm a 23 year old and currently residing in Parma, OH (just south of Cleveland). I am an aspiring science-fiction/fantasy author and a recent OSU graduate with a BA in Comparative Cultural Studies --- or to sum up more succinctly, unemployed. The spheres of geekery currently holding my interest include anime, sci-fi/fantasy literature (reading and writing), sci-fi/fantasy film and television, electronic gaming, surfing** the Internet, and (if we include those I don't currently have the time or oppurtunity to properly indulge) pen-and-paper RPG's, TCG's, American comics, board gaming, and electronic games younger than half a decade. I'm also a semi-pagan transhumanist bisexual in an interracial homosexual relationship, which of course means I win.

Seriously, who's going to top that?

I'm also trying to overcome a general case of not-posting-in-forums-I-belong-to that has plagued me for the past few months or twelve, so here's hoping I do more than lurking while I'm here.

*I say "moshi-moshi" because that's what you say when you're talking over the phone, and for all I know there might be people reading this on dial-up.
    **Though some days it really feels more like wading through a mire.
  • Good day everyone. My name is Nelson Pecora, and I believe I am the newest forum member (as of this writing). Although I'm only 17 years of age, I've moved 19 times in my life. Currently, I attend high school near San Francisco, California. I'll graduate in 2008, so I must make the most important decision: Should I go to RIT? If I am accepted, and can get enough student loans and scholarships to afford it, I hope to attend RIT starting next year.

I am another "renaissance geek," though I haven't yet delved into German boardgames or comics. Currently, I'm assisting my school in their replacement of old computers by recycling them in the form of spare parts for myself. I also do some things with local anime clubs and LAN parties (Strictly computer based, not console). I'm studying Japanese on my own and sneaking into UC Berkeley lectures in my spare time. I'm not learning anything in High School.
  • edited June 2007
    I'm also a semi-pagan transhumanist bisexual in an interracial homosexual relationship, which of course means I win.
    Holy shit, you are the win. There's a thread that exists in which your input would be greatly appreciated by everyone, I'm sure. We need an expert opinion.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Good day everyone. My name is Nelson Pecora, and I believe I am the newest forum member (as of this writing). Although I'm only 17 years of age, I've moved 19 times in my life. Currently, I attend high school near San Francisco, California. I'll graduate in 2008, so I must make the most important decision: Should I go to RIT? If I am accepted, and can get enough student loans and scholarships to afford it, I hope to attend RIT starting next year. I am another "renaissance geek," though I haven't yet delved into German boardgames or comics. Currently, I'm assisting my school in their replacement of old computers by recycling them in the form of spare parts for myself. I also do some things with local anime clubs and LAN parties (Strictly computer based, not console). I'm studying Japanese on my own and sneaking into UC Berkeley lectures in my spare time. I'm not learning anything in High School.

Oh shits!  Class of '08 near SF?  where do you live/what high school do you go to?
    I'm class of 08 at St. Ignatius in the city.
  • Hello, I'm Rochelle from Lakewood, WA (about 40 mins south of Seattle). I am a government monkey that works for the Department of Veterans Affairs, but I enjoy my job and love the fact that I just type at a computer all day long while listening to my I-Pod. I'm a geeky girl that enjoys way too many things. I love anime, manga, video games, reading, board games, and TCG's.

Current obsessions:
    Manga: Boys Over Flowers (Hana Yori Dango) & Hana Kimi
    Video Games: Puzzle Quest, WoW
    Reading: Harry Potter & The Half Blood Prince
    Anime: currently none
    Board Games: currently none
    TCG's: World Of Warcraft TCG

I'm very happy I came across the Geek Nights podcast and look forward to discussing their podcasts and just talking about the things I love to be geeky about. ^_^
  • Oh shits! Class of '08 near SF? where do you live/what high school do you go to?

I'm class of 08 at St. Ignatius in the city.

Oh, I live in the East Bay. San Ramon, to be exact. I visit the city often, though. I mostly go to Japantown and Russian Hill. Where's St. Ignatius?
  • Hello all, The name is FuzzyJ or Jon depends on who you ask. I'm from kitchener ON Canada. I like to think of myself as something of a renaissance geek not a expert of anything but good at most things. Anime became a passion of mine at a fairly young age with Astroboy and Speed Racer on TV, at something stupid like 5-am I would get up real quite to watch them then go back to bed before my parents got up. Currently I'm finishing up my Business Admin Degree at Conestoga Collage. mMy free time it taken up with video games mostly RPGs and FPSs, anime, D&D, hiking, Mui Thai kickboxing, and I work somewhere in there too.
    well thats about it nice to meet you all.
  • edited June 2007
    Hullo there, I’m Bill, 23, from the mystical lands of Albion to the east. More specifically the shire of Leicester (I’m on the frapr map). I consider myself to be somewhat an expert in all things computer game related. Having been featured in various British game mags including the legendary “Edge”. Currently I’m doing a BA Computer Game Design at the University of Wales. Residing in the south of the country, somewhere near Cardiff. Not only am I into game, I’m also a fan of animation of all types and I’ve collected my fair amount of comics over the years. Nice to meet you all.
    Post edited by foofly on
  • SI is in the Sunset, which isn't exactly the most romantic part of the city.  Eh.
  • Hello all.

I am Syd. I don't know a lot about computers, but I am the most tech-savvy member of my household, so I decided I should try and learn.
    I came across Geeknights through a member on another forum. I enjoy the podcast. I subscribe to the Technology one, the Anime one, and the Thursday one(for various rants and tom-foolery). I have listened for about 2 months now. I have not been active in the Front Row Crew community, because, well, frankly, I have a lot on my plate right now.
  • Since the most effective place to start is the beginning, that’s where I’ll start. I’m Justin and I’m 19 years old, my current occupation is as a writer who’s not very successful, though I hope that changes soon. When people find out I’m a writer they instinctively ask “what do you write” and my answer is always “words.” I don’t like talking about the subject matter of my writing unless I think the person I’m talking to is interested.

I like to spend my free time drawing or doing other “artsy” stuff, watching anime or movies, listening to podcasts, and of course writing. And despite the overall blandness of this introduction, I like to think I’m an interesting person to talk to.

If there’s anything else you’d like to know about me, feel free to ask.

Nice to be here,
    Justin
  • My name is Mike LaBrie, and I go by "VegettoEX" pretty much everywhere. I was born in 1982, and graduated from Rutgers University in 2004 with a degree in Information Technology & Informatics. I (currently) work as an analyst for a local super-community bank. I live in New Jersey with my girlfriend, Meri.

My anime fandom consists of self-admitted beginnings in 1996 with the original syndication run of DragonBall Z on American television. I had no prior interest in comics, anime, or any other general "geekdom" (with the exception of video games). In 1998, I began my DBZ website, which exists to this day as Daizenshuu EX. Our weekly podcast began in 2005. The site continues to go strong with help from my buddy Julian, a recent resurgence of popularity in Japan, and my complete and utter lack of ability to find any cast of characters that even remotely comes close (with the possible exception of One Piece) to generating the feelings of happiness I get from seeing Goku with that stupid, innocent, naive, hick smirk on his face. Insert required saving-face here about watching other anime... or not. Whatever. I'm comfortable in what I love. I've seen hundreds of things, and have plenty of favorites, but no others I feel I can speak with absolute authority on. I'll watch just about anything, though it takes a lot to actually get me to sit down and watch said anythings these days.

I began going to conventions in 1999 with Otakon. I have since attended various cons up and down the east coast. I have done panels at Otakon, Shojoucon, AWA, and AnimeNEXT. Along with Meri, I have run the AMV contest for AnimeNEXT since 2003 (its second year). We have also participated in Iron Editor competitions (see below).

The anime fandom off-shoot of Anime Music Videos came in 2000 when I met my girlfriend. She had been making videos for two years. I decided I was going to be cool, too, even though I thought AMVs were just poorly-encoded RealVideo files with no rhyme or reason to them. Once I discovered that GOOD videos had CONCEPTS, I was sold. Sending videos to contests essentially solidified the social aspect of conventions, allowing us to meet a huge number folks who have become some of our best friends.

Video games have always been huge with me. I own a ridiculous amount of consoles, though not too many "obscure" ones (the most odd probably being the Bandai Playdia, which I will fully admit was purchased solely for obtaining the two DBZ FMV games. Then I got the Sailormoon trivia game. And answered what sound a doggy makes.) My youth was spent with mostly platformers, moving into fighting games (I made the transition from Mortal Kombat to Street Fighter during the UMK3 days, over to Alpha 2). These days, I buy more video games than I actually play. I still love my old 2D fighting games (Capcom, SNK, etc.), but also love the music games (DDR, Guitar Hero), I pretend I'm a big RPG player, etc. I get most play out of my DS these days, mostly due to being able to play games at work during my lunch break.

I have been listening to GeekNights (all days) for approximately one year. I lurk around the forum every so often to see what people have to say about a particular podcast episode. I share identical views on the elisting running of a forum requiring proper grammar, professionalism in the work place, the general laziness of the human population, etc.

Seek me out. I'll talk to ya'. I'm on this strange little place called the internet, at conventions, etc.
  • Hi. I am linkigi. If you ever run into me only the internet, I will be using some variation of that name, and if I'm not then it's not me.

Anyways, I am 15 years old and will be entering my Sophmore year of high school in September. Also, If anybody is interested, I live in Rochester, where the weather (As you should already know) pretty much sucks.

I first got into gaming probably 9 years ago on the SNES, on which I wasted countless hours of my life playing Super Mario Kart. I own all the iterations of Nintendo consoles since then, and have a great many games for them, of which I have probably beaten about 2. This would stem mainly from the fact that I'm really lazy, relatively ADD and have the reflexes of a stunned snail. By the way, Ocarina of Time is the best game ever. Disagree, and I challenge you to a match in Age of Empires II over the Internets, which I will inevitably lose horribly. Currently, most of my spare time goes into Sid Meiers Civ IV, which, in addition to being awesome, is probably the most addictive game ever. I also have Pokemon, but I need a USB adapter due to my WiFi not using WEP.

I got into Anime probably 9 years ago after watching (you guessed it) DBZ on Toonami, back when it was watchable and on every weekday. I then proceeded from crappy show to crappy show until I encountered that wonder that was Gundam Wing. Currently, I'm stuck watching subbed episodes of Naruto and attempting to find more actually good anime to watch. Speaking of which, does anyone know any good sites for getting torrents of old Death Note episodes?

I was introduced to GeekNights by a good friend about half a year ago, and have not joined the forums since mostly because I'm extremely lazy.
  • I found Rym and Scott through a friend and in the last week or so have listened to all of the last few months’ worth of episodes. I’m totally addicted. I haven’t participated in a forum in years so we’ll see how this goes. Feel free to remind me of any etiquette I’m missing.

I listen to each day of the week and am looking forward to some more game/anime recommendations. If you need something personal, I live in Iowa with painfully slow internets.
  • Ello All. Name's Josh, although been using Tasel as my handle for about a decade so far. Born back at 1980 in Penn. Grew up in Northern Jersey. Went to College in Bronxville NY and currently reside in eastern upstate CT. Glad I found a place that my quirky geekdom is shared. Promptly got addicted and am working through the back episodes.

Currently I work as a technician for an Ad agency (they have a few small clients like Pepsi, TacoBell/KFC/Pizza Hutt and SoCo to name a few). Previous to that was a Apple Genius over a the Palisades mall for a good number of years (no sneers at my Mac!). Luckily I got to be with a wonderful woman who is a Sys Admin over at the same company (abet a different offices) that i work for and recently started working on turning our new little one into a proper geek. I have a fairly unhealthy addiction to webcomics and found this addictive podcast via AppleGeeks.

Oh and CowBoy BeBop is the optimal example of a well thought out and executed Anime.
  • edited July 2007
    Hey everyone, my name is Nick. I am 14 years old and was born in Baltimore, MD. I am a Sophomore in High School and have been gaming since I was six. I found Geeknights in mid to late May from a link Anath of Applegeeks posted and here I am. I've been watching anime since I was 8, when I first laid my eyes on Dragonball Z. I've been reading Manga since I was in sixth grade. I've been playing Dungeons and Dragons for couple years, and was the one to establish a D&D club at my school. I just beat Sephiroth today on Kingdom Hearts 2.
    Post edited by Roningamer on
  • Hello there! My name's Tom Kline. I'm 15 years old and live in upstate New York. I will be entering 10th grade in September. I first started playing video games when I was 4 years old (though I started getting DECENT at them at around 6 or 7). My first anime was Pokemon, at age 6, while my first manga was DBZ at age 8. I've been reading Shonen Jump since it came out. My current favorite anime and manga are Evangelion and Reborn, respectively. I first heard about GeekNights from Sita-Con 2006. If you listen to Dave and Joel's Fast Karate for the Gentleman podcast, you'll know that I was the loud kid they were talking about. Needless to say, I'm energetic. I want to become a lawyer, a reviewer for Gamespot.com, or a voice actor. I hope to become friends with you all!
  • Hi, my name is Sapphire. I'm 17 years old and I live in London. I'm currently at college working towards A levels in nothing particularly ICT based. I'm not highly computer literate but I am the most computer literate person in my household. I've been listening to Geeknights for a few months now but I've only just had the chance to contribute to the forums (mainly due to exams and coursework).