This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Public VS. Private VS. Home school

edited November 2006 in Flamewars
Come here to argue about which is best:

Public School,
Private School,
Home-school,
or something else altogether.

You can also share stories about your school experiences, or just talk about the school system in general.

I suppose this argument is referring to High-School level, but you can talk about elementary or middle school as well.

I would prefer that college doesn't enter into it, though, as that's really a very different experience.

Personally, I think homeschooling is the best, but I haven't really had much experience with anything BUT homeschooling.
However, I have many friends who have gone to school (or are still going), and nine out of ten said they hated it.

Comments

• I think homeschooling works well if:

a) You have intelligent parents
    b) You have open-minded parents
    c) The kid likes learning
    d) There is a good social network for the kid to be involved in

My parents are talking about home schooling my little brother because, frankly, our local schools kind of suck when it comes to dealing with anything but average kids. Smart kids get punnished for being too ahead of the game or knowing too much. Private schools cost a lot, so you have to weight the cost of that against the cost of staying home part time to teach your kids. And then there's the fact that you can tailor your curriculum.
  • In my personal opinion, public school is good thing in a lot of cases. If you are from a mid sized town than it is the best choice. The private school sector is to expensive and not enough in return, at least in a small and mid sized town. Home school I don't think I could stand going to, my parents would drive me crazy. I went to private school, and public school, while my sister was home schooled and went to public school. We both agree that the public school, while not having all the resources as private school, and the personalization of home school is the best because you have more of a melting pot of people to draw experiences of life from.
  • I've seen homeschooling fail in a spectacular train-wreck of humanity far too often to think it is a good thing.

Public, private, or sometimes a very good charter school is the way to go.
  • I've seen homeschooling fail in a spectacular train-wreck of humanity far too often to think it is a good thing.

Public, private, or sometimes a very good charter school is the way to go.
    Well, I live in Yonkers NY, and there's a great social community for homeschoolers called NYCHEA that I'm a part of. It's not collapsing any time soon, as far as I (or the many hundreds of other families that are a part of this organization) can tell.
  • I have problems with homeschooling. Mostly in that school isn't just for learning. It's also for building social skills and social awareness.

I have one friend (over the internets, har har) who has been home-schooled all her life, and beyond having practically no real-life friends beyond her older brother, she cannot deal with social situations where groups of strangers are involved. I'm really scared of what is going to happen if she decides to leave for college or head out into the world on her own— I have a bad feeling that she's going to wind up living with her parents her entire life because she was not taught from an early age what it is like to interact with other people.

The nice thing about public schools is that you get to meet people from all different social and economic backgrounds. Of course, that's not touching at all on the quality of schooling you'll get at a public school. But the teachers at my old high school (which was public) were halfway competent, and I think I turned out okay. So there you are.
  • Also, while coming out of a home-school situation well-adjusted and adequately or well-educated, more often than not the parents who home-school haven't got a fucking clue as to what education really is, have no educational background, and think 'I know better!'.

As Master pointed out, the above is not always the case, but I maintain that in my experience with people who are home-schooled and parents who home-school, Master's explanation tends to be the exception to the rule.
  • edited November 2006
    Well, as for social interaction, being homeschooled doesn't mean that you only take classes at home (the title is misleading, I know). Being a member of NYCHEA allows you to go to classes (with other homeschoolers) all over NYC! I'm sure there are other communities just like NYCHEA that you can join all over the world.

I know many people who are less social because they went to a public high school, as they weren't "in the clique", or were "unpopular", and got ostracized by the other students.

Oh, and I like the way you all call me "Master". Of course, I planned all this...
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • ...more often than not the parents who home-school haven't got a fucking clue as to what education really is, have no educational background, and think 'I know better!'.
    A perfect and horrible example of the above.
  • I think that public school is better. There is usually a better network of people that are more diverse because of the not having to pay fact. It also might be that I am a senior that spends the day playing on computers. Since I have never been in a Private school, I can't really say anything negative about them, just that they are hella expensive.
  • edited November 2006
    Wow, that article was really, really scary. I hope those girls grow up and realize they've been used as tools for propaganda, and have nothing more to do with it.

As to the different kinds of schooling options available to kids, there are pros and cons to each. But I think the key to success in any one of them is for the child to have perspective - an awareness of themselves, the larger social world, and especially the system in which they are being placed. School in the West isn't just about the book-learning of facts; we condition our children into certain systems of belief and behavior. Public schools, for example, instill (either overtly or subvertly) obedience to authority and adherence to a work schedule and working hours, and reinforce the social hierarchy. One could argue, then, that public schools train "average" children to have a working-class mindset. It's no surprise, then, that a family of higher socio-economic status might choose private schooling for their offspring. It would be really, really, really neat to study the child socialization done within school from a Marxist perspective. Omg. But ultimately, where parents send their children to school is dependent upon how they want them to be both educated and enculturated.
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I went to the same school my whole life, a small private school, while I don't think sending me there my whole school life was a great idea; I have a hard time getting to know new people because I never actually had to meet anyone since they all came to me, and my mother worked at the school and my grandmother had been deputy head for a long time so I got talked about behind my back a lot. I think private school is a good idea especially in high school. Smaller class sizes, better facilities, the choice of co-educational or single sex, more flexibility of class choices, a better relationship with the teachers, a sense of community. I am also a big believer in school uniforms, I think they teach discipline and respect for appearance that you need in the workforce (but I understand this is a contentious point).

I am wary of homeschooling, I'm sure there are great homeschool plans out there but it seems that many parents do it because they disagree with what is being taught in schools and want to indoctrinate their kids.

Personally I would consider putting my kids in public school in their junior years then moving them to private school for high school, that way they can get the experiences of public school when they are younger and the educational benefits of private school when things get more serious.

I think the major issue though is class size and community, I know two people who teach at small public schools with small classes where all the teachers know the kids and I also know of private schools that are so big that no one knows anybody. My graduating class had 50 students in it, we knew everyone and were able to have one-to-one relationships with our teachers which is vital in the senior years.
  • Also, while coming out of a home-school situation well-adjusted and adequately or well-educated, more often than not the parents who home-school haven't got a fucking clue as to what education really is, have no educational background, and think 'I know better!'.

As Master pointed out, the above is not always the case, but I maintain that in my experience with people who are home-schooled and parents who home-school, Master's explanation tends to be the exception to the rule.
    There is much to be said for having a highly-educated, highly-qualified professional for a teacher. If a parent fits that bill and has studied the science of education, then fine. But too many home school parents are nuts who are placing preservation of values and protectionism over quality of education.

Now, the obverse argument is that public schools hire teaching staff based on cost-benefits savings ratios, which means that many times you get a bottom-dollar scholar leading the class instead of the most qualified candidate; i.e. People with doctorates cost far more to retain than teachers with bachelor's degrees.

You could also make the argument that public schools are puppy mills that churn out average students because everyone has exposure to the same curricula. Meanwhile, many home school situations turn out students with imbalanced educations because a parent or guardian is a biased teacher and may not be able/willing to see their student's weaknesses. It seems that every time I talk to a home school student, they are bragging that they have skipped grades or finish classes early, or read at an x-factor higher level. They then proceed to demonstrate that they do not have such a firm grasp on the material as the parental teacher believes. I know this is anecdotal evidence, but it's what I have.
  • I hate Illinois, I mean California Nazis
  • On the subject of education it has become my policy to defer to John Taylor Gatto.
  • edited November 2006
    Ooooh, that book looks good. I'll have to find it.

I'm for public schooling. I have no doubt whatsoever that part of that is because I went to a (good) public school and thus am biased. But homeschooling is more often than not a disaster for all the reasons mentioned above and private school seems like a waste of money and an unrealistic representation of what to expect in the Real World. You can make a lot of arguments FOR private schools, most of them involving superior equipment and teachers, etc etc but ultimately the drive to learn comes from the kids. I mean, my school didn't allow graphic calculators in Maths C (that's the matrices and conics, etc) because not everyone could afford them so we learned to do our 4x4 and upwards matrices by hand. No big deal. If people want to learn then they will - paying someone more money won't effect that (...much). All the people I know who went to private schools seem to have had a very similar school experience to me except the students were more competitive and apparently (this is in girls-only schools) complete bitches as a result. D: At my school we were all friends and very encouraging...but I suspect my experience was unusual even for a public school...?

I hate when people compare grades from private schools to public schools. OMG a difference of 2 percent WTF! I'm pretty sure that most if not all the difference between grades at public and private schools comes from a) kids at private schools have families who are genuinely interested in their child's education and b) private schools are very careful about expelling "problem children" from their schools in to the public system and keeping the less intelligent kids from taking important exams (for example the QCS test and OP subjects used to rank schools in Queensland).

The other things is that most private schools I know of are either religious (with Religion as a compulsory subject) or are all-girls/boys. Neither of those strikes me as a Good Thing.

Also: Lynx? Lamb? The Hell kind of name is that?
    Post edited by Mamath on
  • I am always concerned that with Homeschooling that the Child is exposed to the bias of only one person (either way a small number if it's more then one) instead of the bias of many teachers and is then not exposed to as many conflicting ideas. I say this because the group of people most likely to Home-school is religious fanatics. The only time I agree with Home schooling is during the middle school years. Because damn it. Middle School Sucked much ass.

So, my overall opinion. If your in the city = Private or charter schools
    Suburbs = Public school
    Rural = Public School
    Any middle school = Gender separation or home schooling ^_^
  • edited November 2006
    I have problems with homeschooling. Mostly in that school isn't just for learning. It's also for buildingsocial skills and social awareness.
    I can speak personally on this because I just graduated as a 'home schooled student.' I graduated with a class of 19 very close friends. I went to a 'school' with 300 kids (k-12) and you get a great sense of community. Not to mention, I took dual credit at my local community college. I played sports half of my high school years, I went to prom (twice, with 800+ people there). I'd say the only thing I really missed out on was drugs and beer, which I didn't particularly miss. Believe me.. not all home school chicks are ugly. And lastly, I believe I'm smarter than I ever could have been if I went to public school. I didn't have a single class EVER with my parents. I never saw them during school. You have tons of extra time to do other stuff... like growing in geek stature.

*edit*
    And furthermore, I am considered by all my peers to be a socialite. I have no problems interacting with anyone!
    Post edited by Brineshrimp on
  • I can speak personally on this because I just graduated as a 'home schooled student.' I graduated with a class of 19 very close friends. I went to a 'school' with 300 kids (k-12) and you get a great sense of community. Not to mention, I took dual credit at my local community college. I played sports half of my high school years, I went to prom (twice, with 800+ people there). I'd say the only thing I really missed out on was drugs and beer, which I didn't particularly miss. Believe me.. not all home school chicks are ugly. And lastly, I believe I'm smarter than I ever could have been if I went to public school. I didn't have a single class EVER with my parents. I never saw them during school. You have tons of extra time to do other stuff... like growing in geek stature.
    From what I take, this sounds more like a private school...
  • edited November 2006
    I can speak personally on this because I just graduated as a 'home schooled student.' I graduated with a class of 19 very close friends. I went to a 'school' with 300 kids (k-12) and you get a great sense of community. Not to mention, I took dual credit at my local community college. I played sports half of my high school years, I went to prom (twice, with 800+ people there). I'd say the only thing I really missed out on was drugs and beer, which I didn't particularly miss. Believe me.. not all home school chicks are ugly. And lastly, I believe I'm smarter than I ever could have been if I went to public school. I didn't have a single class EVER with my parents. I never saw them during school. You have tons of extra time to do other stuff... like growing in geek stature.
    From what I take, this sounds more like a private school...
    Indeed. But it is, in fact, classified by the government as homeschooling. Just a lot less structured. It was a communal society type thing... those he knew math taught it and etc.
    Post edited by Brineshrimp on
  • Yeah, it's weird what the govt. classifies as home school vs. private school. When I hear home school I think about the kids who don't leave home and have their parents teach them everything in their house. Those are the kids most likely to have a lack of social skills. The discussion gets really muddled because lots of people do things like what MotU and BrineShrimp are talking about, but they also call it home school. I think that most of the time when someone argues that home school makes crazy people, they are not talking about collective stuff like that because they don't view that as home schooling.
  • Here's some more John Taylor Gatto. He has metal joints.
  • All the people I know who were home schooled turned out pretty well, but then again they're all here at MIT so there might be juast a little bit of selection bias going on :)

I can certainly see the appeal of home schooling. Classes were on the whole remarkably boring and I think I learned as much reading the sections of the textbooks that weren't covered in class as the sections that were.
  • edited November 2006
    Yeah, it's weird what the govt. classifies as home school vs. private school. When I hear home school I think about the kids who don't leave home and have their parents teach them everything in their house. Those are the kids most likely to have a lack of social skills. The discussion gets really muddled because lots of people do things like what MotU and BrineShrimp are talking about, but they also call it home school. I think that most of the time when someone argues that home school makes crazy people, they are not talking about collective stuff like that because they don't view that as home schooling.
    Well, I personally think that the term "homeschool" is misleading, as it doesn't mean that you only learn at home.

I've been homeschooled my entire life, and I still am. I went to a public day-care center when I was very young, and that's where I learned my basic social skills.
    I then started learning with my parents at home, and learned some simple math, and such (math turned out to be my best subject, and I'm learning some calculus now at 14).

Currently, I do almost no learning with my parents at home, as I go to classes all throughout NYC with other homeschoolers.

I would also like to point out that no homeschooler that I have ever met has been socially inept in any way. In fact, the only homeschoolers I've met who have been shy had just left public or private schools to begin homeschooling, and they quickly lost their shyness.

Sure, there are parents who take homeschooling to mean no social interaction at all, but that's really not true, most of the time.
    Of course, if you live in a community where there are no other homeschoolers at all, then it's more understandable, and probably just a bad idea to homeschool anyway.

Homeschool, I think, is really just a term to mean that you don't go to school, but you still get an education (with other people or not).

PS. Oh, and there's also a pretty good geek community to be found with some other homeschoolers. In fact, I'm running my weekly D&D; session tomorrow. ^_^
    Post edited by ProfPangloss on
  • I think we can agree that the problem in this debate is the word home-school. However, the dictionary has it covered.
    home-school
    To instruct (a pupil, for example) in an educational program outside of established schools, especially in the home.
    If you go by this definition that people being educated outside of established schools are home-schoolers, then you can not say that home-school kids are socially inept. You can even technically say that kids at many charter schools are home-schooled. However, I will say that the people who are taught by their parents in their houses often exhibit social problems not found in classically educated people. Also, there is potential for danger when kids are home-schooled in the scary way, see the white supremacist girls above. I think we need a new word to differentiate between people who are schooled outside of the established system and people who are scarily home-schooled. They are not equivalent by any stretch of the imagination.
  • I will say that the people who are taught by their parents in their houses often exhibit social problems not found in classically educated people.

I'm not disagreeing with this point, and I generally dislike the non-social methods of homeschooling. That's not to say, however, that it's wrong.
    There are cases where it's right (such as when there's a child who's just so shy and anti-social that they can't deal with learning with other people), but even then, it's not the only solution.

I think we need a new word to differentiate between people who are schooled outside of the established system and people who are scarily home-schooled.

Just as an idea, how about "social homeschooling"?

Yeah, that's lame.
    Any ideas?
  • Indeed. But it is, in fact, classified by the government as homeschooling. Just a lot less structured. It was a communal society type thing... those he knew math taught it and etc.
    Freaking Commies.
  • edited November 2006
    I guess you could use "non-traditional" or "non-institutionalized" schooling for cases like MotU's, but that still seems too broad, since education which occurs exclusively within the home could fall under that.

Perhaps "community-based" schooling would be the best term?
    Post edited by Johannes Uglyfred II on
  • I guess you could use "non-traditional" or "non-institutionalized" schooling for cases like MotU's, but that still seems too broad, since education which occurs exclusively within the home could fall under that.

Perhaps "community-based" schooling would be the best term?
    Well, that could mean some sort of community-funded school, couldn't it?
  • I've gone to public schools all my life, so I guess I'm not exactly informed on the situation with private and home schooling, but I can at least give my opinion. Public schools are good at instilling social skills into kids, but they fail when it comes to providing opportunities for any students who are smarter than the stupidest kids in a class. Even honors and advanced classes have this problem, because schools put anyone who can get an A in them, along with the "above-average" kids, and due to rampant cheating and the importance placed on homework, this approach doesn't work. Another problem public schools have, although this is mostly in inner-city schools, is safety. I have a friend who lives in Detroit, and, when he used to attend the public schools(he's home-schooled now), he "only ever learned how to run from big black kids". Public schools "force" kids into socializing, and give them a more "realistic" view of society, but they have so many problems compared to private and charter schools, which also teach kids how to socialize, that this "advantage" is negligible.
  • Non-scary homeschooling just sounds like a public school that moves around and doesn't necessarily have certified teachers (who may be awesome nevertheless - that wasn't a criticism)? Every time I try to think of a term to describe it I just come up with something similar to "public school".

...Parents who send their kids into homeschooling probably care a lot more about their child's education though. Can't help but think that is where the real difference lies.