This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite Fantasy

edited November 2006 in Video Games
Whats your favorite final fantasy game? Just starting one of my first discussions and finding out the likings of the forum members. To be honest, I haven't played every Final Fantasy But I greatly enjoy XII and still like Crystal Chronicles

Comments

• My favorite was VII. It was the first I ever played and I really became attached to the characters and development of the story. The musical score was also the best in VII, in my opinion.
  • Clarification needed: Is that Final Fantasy III (US) or Final Fantasy (Japan)?
    I assume that it is the Japanese release, but I want to be sure.
  • edited November 2006
    FF III:DS?

EDIT: BTW am I the only one who HASN'T played a FF game?
    Post edited by Andrew on
  • Finaly Fantasy VI. How can you have a poll of final fantasy games if you don't include all of them? What about Final Fantasy Legend Adventure or Tactics? Your poll is not teh win.
  • Actually, I hereby decree that only the one true Final Fantasy numbering system is valid on these forums. If you say Final Fantasy 3 it can only mean that you are talking about a game with an extensive jobbing system that is ported to the Nintendo DS. If you say Final Fantasy 2 it can only mean you are talking about a game with a plot that does not include excessive needless suicide.
  • I vote for Final Fantasy I, IV, VI, and Crystal Chronicles.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm really confused...Why didn't you list all of them? Are these just the ones you've played?

Tactics Advance was t3h pwn. I played it twice ^-^ I should take it out and play it again =P
    Post edited by Sail on
  • Final Fantasy 4! Gooooo Cecil!
  • If it's "Final" Fantasy, why was there more than one?
  • Final Fantasy 6! FTW!

(then Final Fantasy 4, Final Fantasy Legend 2)
  • Final Fantasy VI. I cannot deny that IV is awesome. I also have a soft spot for IX, although it sometimes seems I'm the only one.

Since we're only using "the one true numbering system", the Legend and Adventure games shouldn't count. They're technically from other series, namely SaGa and Secret of Mana respectively.

But if we are counting them, Legend 2 also goes on my list.
  • edited November 2006
    Am I the only one who loves final fantasy 8?
    Post edited by La Petit Mort on
  • Am I the only one who loves final fantasy 8?
    I played the demo for the PC long ago. Decent story, terrible game.
  • edited November 2006
    My favorite final fantasies are VI, legends III, and tactics. The original FF:T.

These latest have started to feel too much like a point build system, where what I liked about earlier FF was the fact that you had people who either were certain classes, or you you make them a certain class and it made a difference.
    Am I the only one who loves final fantasy 8?
    Yeah, I think so.
    Post edited by Pilitus on
    Hironobu Sakaguchi was developing the game, and planned to retire on its completion. It was also to be Square's final game, due to a poor fiscal situation. Hence, "Final Fantasy."

The game was a runaway success, and the rest was history.
    I played the demo for the PC long ago. Decent story, terrible game.
    Sinner.

I really loved many of the aspects of FFVIII, including the unique magic system. It's in the running for my favorite of the series, because it's one that I still pull out quite often. It was also a great advance graphics-wise over FFVII, which I also love. I got a little tired of the summon sequences, though.

Still, there is no denying the greatness of FFX. It's a bit (okay, really damned) short, but it's so much fun.
  • My favorites are Tatics advance and Final Fantasy IX. I don't know why nobody else seems to like IX, but it was one of my favoites for the way you learned skills.
  • Final Fantasy VI, but I think it could have used more tragedy and death.

Final Fantasy Legend II gets a vote for the Nuke (though it was actually a pretty piss-poor weapon).
    Hironobu Sakaguchi was developing the game, and planned to retire on its completion. It was also to be Square's final game, due to a poor fiscal situation. Hence, "FinalFantasy."

The game was a runaway success, and the rest was history.
    Ahh...

As someone who has never played a single game in this line... Is this similar at all to the Ultima and Wizardry franchises?
  • Final Fantasy IX is my favorite game of the series.
  • Yes, it is because Ive not played every one of them. If someone will List them, then I will gladly make another poll with them in it.
  • After spending the better part of an hour looking up information on the Final Fantasy series and making a list to show which titles were mainline series entries or part of the expanded universe, I came across this link at Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Final_Fantasy_titles

Seeing my list redundant, I resigned myself to the fact that I lost yet another hour over video games, while not even playing one.

On topic now, my vote goes to Final Fantasy VI. My first, and still unmatched for game play (although IX came close). I have yet to play XII, but if it's as good as the buzz would have it, the throne may be in danger of being overthrown.
  • VII was the best
  • Final Fantasy is one of the greatest franchises ever.
    My Top 5 are
    1. Final Fantasy VI (this one has no flaw)
    2. Final Fantasy IX (weird character designs, but the story and music is superv)
    3. Final Fantasy VII (awesome villain, awesome graphics for the time, and a weird plot)
    4. Final Fantasy X (how can you fall in love with a dream)
    5. Final Fantasy IV (the flying air ships are pretty cool)

* I would have put Final Fantasy XII but I haven't play it , yet :(
    No you are not. It is my favouritest of all time and absolutely nothing can dislodge it. I really don't know why, since it has so many got damn flaws, but I love it. T_T

Oh yeah, TRIPLE TRIAD FTW!
  • Final Fantasy VI is still by far my favorite of the Final Fantasy titles. Perhaps after that, VIII, as far as the aggressively story driven titles go. Tactics and Chronicles stand outside that realm in my book, though they are still great games.
  • I liked Final Fantasy 8 also. The characters were enjoyable, so I think that made up for any of the gameplay flaws it may have had. Maybe I'm just a whore for eye-candy, but I loved the cut-scenes. When you start a new game and that opener plays, I was breathtaken. It sort of seduced me and I just got pulled into the rest of the game. I really can't see why so many people seem to hate it.

Final Fantasy 7 is also on the top of my favorites. Sure, it was weird, but completely awesome. The only thing that would ever make me want to shell out for a PS3 would be the remake of 7. FF4 still holds the dearest spot in my heart out of all the FInal Fantasies, though; somehow its story and characters resonated with me more than FF6, which I just felt kind of detached from.

P.S. I actually like Squall. So eat it!
  • I sympathised with Squall on the first play-through. After that it was like "OMFG SQUALL HURRY IT UP YO". D: Zell is Teh Awesomes! If they made a Play Arts figure of Zell I would buy it. :D I'm not exactly stoked for Selphie, Rinoa or Squall though. :/

I've never met anyone who hasn't loved the FFVIII opener. No matter how they felt about the rest of the game everyone agrees that the opener was gorgeous (at least for the time). LATIN CHORUS DRAMA!
  • Ok so I'm sitting on this tropical island, and the sun is setting, I've got a drink in my hand and I'm watching this...oh...not that type of fantasy, right.
  • Ok so I'm sitting on this tropical island, and the sun is setting, I've got a drink in my hand and I'm watching this...oh...not that type of fantasy, right.
    That was my first thought on reading the subject title, too. :p