This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

DS wireless service with roms question.

edited November 2006 in Video Games
I you're running flashed firmware (flashme v7) and roms of games that you legally own a copy of, can they detect it when you connect to the wireless service? I'm wondering if there's any possibility of getting banned. I just got my shiny new black DS Lite and I've been playing around with my Supercard SD. When I went to set up the wireless connection for the first time on one of the game roms I was running, it said something about creating a unique ID based on the combination of the cartridge and the ds. This made me concerned as to whether or not they might not like what I was doing, and more importantly, if they would or could do anything about it. Thanks.

p.s. Any advice for running video? I've used Moonshell to listen to your podcast and it sounds fine, but the video converter doesn't seem to like most of the files I've tried.

Comments

• The way DS wi-fi works is pretty straightforward. Every DS has a unique ID number in it. Every DS wi-fi game has a unique ID number in it. With a certain hash algorithm you can combine the two ID numbers into a new third unique number. When you connect to the DS wi-fi for that game it uses this unique hash to figure out who you are. If you take my Mario Kart cartridge and play it in your DS, you will not be able to play as me online to change my rank. If I go and buy a DS Lite, I will have a clean slate as far as all wi-fi games are concerned. This is how DS wi-fi works.

If you try to play a ROM it will try to combine the ID of the cartridge the ROM came from with the ID of your DS to make a new identity. I highly doubt that Nintendo will be able to tell you are using a ROM in order to ban you from DS wi-fi. That is the nature of these algorithms.
  • Thanks a lot. Any advice on which games to try, accessories, etc.?