This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Favorite Video Game of all time

edited November 2006 in Video Games
Ignoring graphics but instead focusing on game-play.

What is your favorite Video Game of all time?

I'm going to lead off by saying Civilization is my favorite time-sync video game of all time.

I did enjoy some of the additional features they added in Civ2 but Civ1 is still a good enough game for me.

Comments

• I lost several years of my life playing Warcraft II when it came out shiny and new, back when RTS games were still relevant. It was the fact that it could be played over and over with different strategies that kept me going back: Swarm the stronghold with ballistas, or conquer it with infantry, or just overrun everything with peons. There were parts that were deterministic, but much of it was about trying unconventional methods to outwit the opponent. I still drag that one out, and I find it just as fulfilling as anything later built on top of the Age of Empires engine.
  • World of Warcraft I have become addicted to. Last night I played Gears of War, and everyone should play this.
  • After much deliberation (ha ha), I choose Civilization II. No other single game has consumed so much of my time, energy, and headspace.

I'm realizing now that I actually haven't played it in years. I should fix that.
  • Mega Man 2.
  • Dragon Warrior 4 for the NES
  • Ready for it? It's really sad, but Sonic Adventure 2: Battle. I could play this game over and over forever and never get tired of it.
  • SMBM wins my vote.
  • Civilization 4 is awesome! I have to uninstall it at the end of every term or I don't study. I was really into the Sims for a while but I'm over it now, Fable for X-box I love. Lego Star Wars is great but my vote goes to...

Super Mario Brothers 3.
  • The Elder Scrolls III:Morrowind

:D
  • Maybe Klonoa 2. Pure fun! That game didn't get nearly enough attention.

That or Heroes of Might and Magic III. Good times.
  • Tribes 2. I need to reinstall that.
  • Sonic 3 & Knuckles.
  • edited November 2006
    Oh God, so hard to decide....
    Legends of Valor. Just because it was a floppy disk staple of my childhood... And breaking into houses through people's windows was tons of fun, just as long as you didn't get arrested for "excessive loitering" or "looking suspicious."
    Also the people who started the Elder Scrolls franchise say they drew a lot from it for inspiration.
    edit: I just did a cursory search for Legends of Valor, what with all this nostalgia welling up in me, and have found that it was actually a pretty obscure game. What a shame, it really was great, and actually was one of the first first person games I ever remember playing, up there with Doom and Castle Wolfenstien.
    Post edited by Hasbro on
  • Chrono Trigger!!! :D
  • It is between Command & Conquer: Red Alert and Homeworld but I am going to have to say C&C takes the cheese. I played the hell outta that game.
  • To this day I'm still obsessed with Fire Emblem 4: Genealogy of the Crusade. A close second is definitely Morrowind.
  • Wow, this is a tough question to answer...

I list the following in the order that I thought of them:

Tribes II
    Weapons Factory (mod for Quake II)
    Civilization II
    Quest for Glory 1-4 (2 being the best)
    Natural Selection (mod for Half-Life 1)
    X-Com: UFO Defense
    TIE Fighter
    Final Fantasy Crystal Chronicles

I'd be hard-pressed to pick a winner. They each are special to me for their own unique reasons.
  • Mega Man 2. There has never been a game as awesome. I have played this game more than any other.

Well that an SMB3/World
  • Super Mario Advance 4: Super Mario Bros. 3 (GBA)
  • I would have to say Tales of Phantasia. I first played it in ROM form then played ToP2 on the playstation, it was amazing for both, stellar story and gameplay was... just wow. Best graphics i've seen on snes as well. Just a great great game.
  • Counter strike FTW!
  • Here are mines:
    Final Fantasy VI
    Chrono Trigger
    Chrono Cross
    Sonic 3
    Final Fantasy IX
    Megaman X3
    Megaman X
    Halh Life 2
    Dragon Quest 8
    Super Mario Bros 3
  • edited July 2007
    My top 10:
    Metal Gear Solid 2: Substance - My top.
    Megaman 2 - Some things just never lose their awesome.
    Guilty Gear XX#Reload
    Soul Caliber 2
    The Bouncer - Perhaps Square Enix's best game (runs in fear from all the rabid FFfans)
    Mortal Kombat 2
    Unreal Tournament
    Battlefield: Vietnam
    Timesplitters 2 - I don't know why, but this game is awesome.
    Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic series

Honorable Mentions:
    M.U.G.E.N.
    Star Wars: Battlefront II
    Battlefield: 1942 and mods
    Post edited by Rooster on
  • edited July 2008
    Top 10

1.The Legend of Zelda:Ocarina of Time
    2.The Legend of Zelda:Twilight Princess
    3.The Legend of Zelda:Wind Waker
    4.Tales of Symphonia
    5.Mario Kart DS
    6.Super Mario 64 DS
    7.Super Smash Bros. Melee
    8.Final Fantasy XII
    9.Resident Evil 4
    10. CounterStrike: Source

In no order, although they all tie for #1 for variously different reasons.
    Post edited by Loganator456 on
  • Funny how favorite morphed into top 10.

I've probably played AOE II more than any other game, so that's got to be it. Of course there's always ET for the Atari 2600. What a game!
  • edited December 2006
    Top 20

1. Counterstrike: Source (PC)
    2. Gears of War (360)
    3. Viva Pinata (360)
    4. Rainbow Six: Vegas (360)
    5. Half-Life 2 (PC)
    6. Super Mario Brothers (NES)
    7. Super Smash Brothers: Melee (GC)
    8. The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64)
    9. Guitar Hero (PS2)
    10. Resident Evil 4 (GC, blew on PS2)
    11. World of Warcraft (PC, and here I thought I'd hate it)
    12. Chrono Trigger (SNES)
    13. Mario Kart DS (DS)
    14. Burnout: Revenge (360)
    15. Starfox 64 (N64)
    16. Halo (XB)
    17. Halo 2 (XB)
    18. GTA: San Andreas (PC)
    19. Civilization IV (PC)
    20. Resistance: Fall of Man (PS3)

Interesting what Rym said a few nights ago, where he explained that Halo was just Goldeneye 64, but with better graphics and a different story. That's partly right, but what about this. Could you do vehicles with a platform like the N64, and make it look close to decent? For Halo, transportation devices are a key to the fun, and just couldn't have been done in years past.

I don't know why, but both Rym and Scott share this nostalgic attitude about games, where if a title even slightly resembles an older game, they just pronounce the original better. Forget the graphics or new innovations in game play. I mean, what does it take for a next gen game to be better than the previous generations?
    Post edited by glimpster on
  • edited December 2006
    Mine is Super Mario World for the SNES. Not only is it my favorite game of all time, it's my favorite Mario game and my favorite Nintendo game.
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • I already voted, but I'm considering a change. In college, there was a pretty steady stream of 6-8 guys in my room most nights playing Goldeneye and Tekken 3. Those were really good times, with impromptu tournaments and lots of cheering and other noise.
  • I already voted, but I'm considering a change. In college, there was a pretty steady stream of 6-8 guys in my room most nights playing Goldeneye and Tekken 3. Those were really good times, with impromptu tournaments and lots of cheering and other noise.
    That's something I've noticed about fighting games. Some people learn all the special moves and become masters. Those people can tell you which fighting games are better than others. They can tell you if one combo system is better than another. Most of us are not those people.

For the rest of us, fighting games are as good as the we make them to be. SSF2T can be crap to someone if nobody is excited about playing it. To that same person a relatively bad game like the SNES Ninja Turtles fighter can be great if they have a large group of people playing it very excitedly.

For example, at SitaCon I played this old and bad fighting game on MAME. Due to the fact that there were about 10 people around this game getting into it and talking shit, it became as fun as Soul Calibur 2 or Smash Bros. The only time this doesn't work is when you have an unplayable fighting game. Shaq-fu is the first example that comes to mind.
  • Tekken's combo and controls systems were really very user-intuitive, IMHO. They totally blew Mortal Kombat away, even though during high school that was a party game favorite.

Then my college roommate went out and bought a Dreamcast the day it came out, and we got into Soul Caliber. It was so smooth. The controls were so logical. You could learn and pull off 10-move combos easily. Put a half-dozen of us in a room with some beer, and WHAM! What a great time.

The thing is that Soul Caliber was no fun in single player mode, no matter how nice the controls. Fighting games are all about the shit talk -- you're right, Scott. I guess it proves that the intelligence of a mob is the average IQ of the mob divided by the number of people in it. We sure as hell had a good time, though.