This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Wii-mote Modding

edited November 2006 in Video Games
I managed to get my hands on a second Wii-mote today, but after getting it I realized that it's essentially impossible to tell the different between it and the original one I got. So in order to make them more obviously different, I decided it would be cool to come up with a cool design and paint it onto one of them.

I'm planning to just use a black paint, since this will mostly be an learning experience if I want to try it again. Plus I figured just black and white would give it a cool enough look.

Where I am right now is that I've come up with the basic design I'm going to do thanks to Photoshop. I've got painter's tape, and black primer paint for plastics.

But there is one thing that worries me that I figured I'd ask here and see if anyone had any thoughts about it. Basically the top face of the Wii-mote is a glossy plastic, and I'm concerned that if I try to paint it as is it won't adhere. The only solution I can come up with would be to sand it, but I'd like to keep the shine there if possible.

To give a point of reference the glossy plastic is a lot like the case of the DS lite.

Comments

• Yeah...sounds to me like you are right. It probably won't adhere. Try just a small patch of the Wiimote and see how it works out. It's not like it will hurt it if there is a little smudge on it from now on.
  • You could try to get a design laser engraved into it. It's been done with MAC powerbooks as well as the DS Lite. I really want to get my DS engraved. :D I have a godzilla design planned out for it. Just got to make the vector art or whatever for it and find an engraver with an appropriate laser who is willing to cooperate. Unfortunately I don't have an extra DS to test out the laser on or anything. :/ Could try on the protective case when it arrives if the plastic is similar enough, I guess.

There's also normal hand engraving or acid engraving but both of those methods require mad skillz and knowhow. :|

If you really want to paint it you're probably going to have to keep the design small and out of the way to reduce the sanded area and wear on the paint and/or find a sealant of some sort. Probably a two part plastic mix of some description would work well. You'd have to learn how to mix and apply properly though.

I expect someone who knows more about all these materials will come along any minute now. :D
  • (Currently in the process of figuring out how to laser engrave a DS. Will report back on results)
  • (Currently in the process of figuring out how to laser engrave a DS. Will report back on results)
    Sweeet. :D Make sure it's a pulse laser. Might melt the plastic other wise. D:
  • Engraving white plastic seems like a bad idea since it would be really hard to see it.

And there isn't really any out of the way places on the Wii-mote. I'm planning on a design to cover the whole thing. I post some pictures later of the possible designs. I'll probably also take pictures to document the whole thing too.
  • At the store they sell these rubbery wiimote cover things. They even come with matching wrist-straps. They look pretty cool, and they would be useful for telling the Wiimotes apart. However, I want to see what it feels like to use a Wiimote with one of these on before I shell out for it. A lot of similar products for iPods and cellphones make them difficult to use. That is a big nono for a Wiimote for which use is the only purpose.
  • I found a site that does iPods and Macs. It is possible to etch the white plastic cause you just create a dark mark instead of a light one (or so I postulate from looking at the pictures). I sent an email asking if they would be able to do a DS Lite, with no response yet. I was amazing at the pricing because it only ranged from $10 to $75 depending on the complexity of the design, which seems extremely cheap considering the service.
  • I've seen those wiimote covers, but I have the same reservations. I figure doing this would keep the controller the same feel as it was, plus get a cool original design to it. So I know if I take it somewhere exactly which one is mine.
  • I've seen those wiimote covers, but I have the same reservations. I figure doing this would keep the controller the same feel as it was, plus get a cool original design to it. So I know if I take it somewhere exactly which one is mine.
    Another good way to tell Wiimotes apart is the way we tell DSes apart. You can apply stickers pretty easily, or non-standard wrist-straps or cellphone charms. My DS has a Minish Cap cellphone charm on it. No reason a Wiimote can't support a little charm on the wrist-strap hook. You can also replace the wrist-strap with a different one to tell it apart. Nothing wrong with doing something more fancy though. If you do do something fancy, make sure to put the pics on the net.
  • So, how long until a website where you can buy customized Wiimotes goes live?
  • So, how long until a website where you can buy customized Wiimotes goes live?
    Not very long.
  • I plan to post some pics as I do it. I figure it'll be worth documenting if it comes out cool, or I screw up massively and become a laughing stock.

Anyway I'll post the design mock ups I did in photoshop. I found a good image of the controller from different sides and used that as a template basically.
    As you can see, if you've played Twilight Princess, the design is based on that. Since I'm only using black paint it seemed to make sense to do that. It's sorta a combination of some things from wolf Link and from Midna's bodies.
    I then did some rethinking about placement and whatnot and added a few more things, which I think works out a lot better. I was also thinking of having the designs that run down the side of Midna run down one of the sides (probably the left,) but it seems like it would be a pain in the ass since its rather thin lines and intricate.
  • Pretty good stuff there. I say go for it. Just take the plastic case off the Wiimote, tape it, paint it, and put it back on after it dries.
  • I'm going to leave the case on it since I'm concerned I might crack the case if I try to finagle it too much. Unless you know of a tutorial about how to do it.
  • edited November 2006
    I'm going to leave the case on it since I'm concerned I might crack the case if I try to finagle it too much. Unless you know of a tutorial about how to do it.
    If you try to paint with the case on, you will almost certainly get paint in the creases between the buttons and such. That will basically ruin the remote. You do not want paint anywhere near the actual buttons or the electronics of the controller. The only way to be safe is to separate the plastic case from everything else and paint it on its own. The case will not crack. I don't know what kind of finagling you are doing, but the case is very hard plastic. I've never seen anyone do it with a Wiimote yet, but here are some photos of the process I describe on a Nintendo DS. It's only a matter of time before someone beats you to it, so be the first to do it to a Wiimote!
    Post edited by Apreche on
  • edited November 2006
    The initial testing of painting the glossy front has shown that the paint will in fact adhere to it. I tried wiping it, I tried scratching it, and the almighty licking my finger rubbing the spot. No effect whatsoever on it.

The only issue with taking it apart is it seems it needs a tiny screwdriver... which I likely don't have.

Correction I find a glasses screwdriver and got 3 of the 4 screws out and then it snapped...
    Post edited by Kiey on

• Correction I find a glasses screwdriver and got 3 of the 4 screws out and then it snapped...
    You broke the screwdriver?
  • Yeah the head of the screwdriver broke off. I just went out and picked up 3 more in case another breaks.
  • edited November 2006
    I've hit two snags... the last screw seems to be stripped and won't come out, and the paint that I tested earlier came off with some spit and a little rubbing. I guess I'll go try and remove the screws on the other remote and hope that works out.

[9 minutes after I posted the above] Adding another snag, seems that the original screwdriver I used was perfect but these new ones have a smaller head then the original did. So I guess I'll put everything on hold until tomorrow I guess. I'll go out to Home Depot or something and try and get a better screwdriver. And I guess also get some sandpaper to solve the paint adhering problem.
    Post edited by Kiey on
  • Don't ruin all your Wiimotes. Those things are hard to come by!
  • I don't plan too. The original one still works, and I haven't taken apart my other one since the screwdriver doesn't fit.
  • I saw pics somewhere (IGN I think) Where they had to ruin the remote to get the casing off. I don't think it can be done any other way.
  • I found a site where they opened it. It's really pretty simple in general its only 4 screws, but they are triwings so I don't have the right screwdriver.
  • My suggestion, after you get the case off, would be to use some sort of plastic-safe liquid mask or plastic-safe rubber cement. You could get really fine details and then easily rub off the mask when you complete the coloring.

As far as the painting over the gloss, you could try Sharpie marker, but I don't know how well it will take. You might actually have to take a fine grain sand-paper, sand the surface, and then coat it with a primer in order to paint onto the Wiimote.

Tricky business indeed.
  • Engraving on a white DS turns out gray, I believe. Ditto for a black DS. I'm guessing that a Wiimote would have a similar material and finish.

You might also consider the liquid mask suggestion combined with dye or ink. Dying the wiimote might look alright / work. You'd have to test it out, and I don't think the colour would be consistent. More like...foggy?
  • Hmm...there are a number of substances (RIT dye, for instance) that I'm sure would infiltrate the plastic while not covering up the glossy finish. Also, since they could actually stain the plastic, they wouldn't come off. It's just a matter of figuring out how to apply them.

I think if I was going to try painting something that's what I would do...use tape to cover the white bits and then get a sponge and dab concentrated dye over the cover. Let it set in a bit, wipe with moist cloth, repeat until color sinks in well.

Of course, that's just a theory. Based on the fact that a tiny bit of ask has stained a streak of my iBook cover gray even with repeated cleaning attempts.
  • Hmm...there are a number of substances (RIT dye, for instance) that I'm sure would infiltrate the plastic while not covering up the glossy finish. Also, since they could actually stain the plastic, they wouldn't come off. It's just a matter of figuring out how to apply them.
    Exactly. If my DS were white I'd give it a try. Unfortunately it is black. If only I'd thought of this sooner. The only trouble with dye is that it might be difficult to apply it as a flat coat of colour. I suspect it'd splodge a bit. That also depends on the dye though.
  • Yeah, mine is pink. (I didn't buy it...it was a gift) I'm not sure how it would come out if I tried to dye it. I have been seriously considering an experiment though...carnation pink drives me crazy. o.O
  • I was so close to getting a pink one. Deliberately. :p Mostly because black and white are kind of boring and I was hoping that some of the proceeds would be donated to the Breast Cancer Foundation like Target did in America. However, there was no such deal here and I know the boyfriend would feel silly using a pink DS so I went with black. Figured the games would look good on it too.

You shoud do eeeet. :D Black/grey + pink? Usually looks alright. Purple/blue + pink? :DDD