This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Religion

edited November 2006 in Everything Else
Hello, I am 14 and in the process of re-examining my religious beliefs. I have been raised as a Catholic, but I definitely know that I am not a Catholic. I have had the thought that I am not a catholic but rather a non-denominational Christian for quite some time now. However, this past Thanksgiving, I got into a discussion about religion with my aunt and really started thinking about it. There are so many religions in the world, and a good number of them say that people who do not practice that religion will go to hell. What religion you are is dependent on where you are born. If you are born in Spain, you will probably be a Catholic. If you are born in Saudi Arabia, you will probably be a Muslim. I do not understand how any god could allow so many people to go to hell because they had the misfortune of being born into the wrong religion.

I went onto the internet and saw a link on digg to a Dawkins lecture. I sat down and watched it. I have since watched many programs, lectures, and interviews with Dawkins in them. I had always thought that God created evolution, but I am not so sure if there was a god who created evolution now.

The Christian bible says so many horrible things that I don't know how anyone could believe that God could be so harsh. How could Jesus tell people to kill those who did not believe in the Christian faith? How could god tell someone to kill their own child to prove their belief in him? Any modern person who read various things in Leviticus would call them absurd. Is it ok now to cherry pick different parts of the bible? If so, does it mean anything? I think not.

I used to believe that god could not be explained by our current understanding of the world and that he was in a realm outside of physics. I no longer believe that due to two things. First, this logic could be used to explain anything such as the FSM or the tooth fairy or the pink unicorn. Second, there is no conclusive evidence in my opinion that Jesus was alive on our Earth. From what I have heard so far, the time of his life has been disputed as well as various details of his life. There was no writing about him from after his death until 70AD when the first gospel was begun. What happened during this period? Was he just forgotten about? Surely the son of god could not be forgot about for so many decades.

Dawkins makes a point when he says that it would be harder to explain a Creator who created the universe than it would be to explain how the universe was made by natural means.

I live in a highly conservative area and am surrounded by people who blindly believe in the Christian faith. It is not their fault, as they have been raised to believe that Christianity is the right answer and if they choose anything else, they will go to hell and suffer forever. They have been warned that they will be tempted to turn away from Christianity by the devil. Is Darwin the devil? I highly doubt it. I think it is horrible that my peers are being subjected to such a thing - and from such an early age. I recently watched Jesus Camp and it is one of the most disturbing, if not the most disturbing, documentaries I have seen in my life. I was speaking with a peer a couple days ago and he insisted that the Earth was only 10,000 years old and that carbon dating was fake. How someone could deny such clear evidence that is right in front of their face is astounding to me.

I think that I am agnostic for now. I do not know whether or not I believe that there was a god who created the big bang or not. I do not know how the big bang happened. I highly doubt that I will ever know how it happened. I will not go so far as to say that there is no god at all, but I will not say that I necessarily believe in one at this point in time. I do know that I do not believe in any current god that man believes in.

Anyway, I suppose I should get on to my original reason for posting this. I do realize that it is a personal question, and I would only like those people who feel comfortable replying to do so. What are your religious beliefs and why? How did you come to those beliefs?

(I have never posted on the forums before despite having listened to geeknights since Otakon. I suspect the infamous Mr. Period will rip my post apart xD)

Comments

• Hello! Welcome to the forums! It is refreshing to see new faces who can articulate their point clearly and in an intelligent way. ^_^

First off, I would like to point you to these past discussions here in the past. Also, be sure to check out Scryms personal opinion on the matter on their Atheism episode. Origins Week- Atheism

What is most disturbing to me, is that organized Religions manipulate their followers to believe myth as fact. More specifically, they take proven scientific fact and point it out as "evil" and the work as the devil. They prevent their followers from questioning the world around them. While I do not have an issue with people believing in a higher deity/god/FSM, it is when they lie and deceive others to believe what they believe that I take issue with. Personally, I am pretty much atheist, or rather I prefer to be called a naturalist.
  • edited November 2006
    None. I swallow that bitter red pill every morning. Welcome to the club! I chose these beliefs because I know why there are religions and people believe in the supernatural (I have a BA in Philosophy & Religion), once you know these things well, lemme put it this way: it is hard to take fantasy seriously.
    Post edited by HeavyCruiserLost on
  • I believe that I am God, donate to me via PayPal for salvation.
  • edited November 2006
    Very interesting...your case is very much similar to mine. However, I still went through the motions of attending church etc until I was 19 when I was faced with the "choice" of serving an LDS mission (it was a choice, but LDS prophets have preached that it is a commandment from God that all young men serve a mission. Anyone who did not go was basically seen as "lost" and "evil"). Over those 4-5 years I did think a little about some of the teachings of the LDS religion seemed strange and incorrect, but I didn't think very hard and went on with my "brainwashed" life. So when I was reaching 19, I went through the motions of filling out all the papers etc for going on a mission, but in my head I started to think whether it was really the right decision. No. It was not the right decision for me. I backed out of going. Not only did I not want to be away from worldly materials (games, music, movies, anime, etc. etc. etc.), but I figured it would have been a waste of my/others time and money for me to go especially since I did not have faith in all the doctrine of LDS religion.

**On a side note, after reading the other threads that were linked, I feel that people are confused as to what religion really is. At least in my opinion, I feel that religion is not meant to be a matter of believing, but rather faith. Although you may find some doctrine in your religion illogical or incomprehensible, it all boils down to just having faith. Now, by all means, do not get me wrong. I'm not telling anyone to have blind and/or ignorant faith. I encourage everyone to seek answers for any questions they might have. It's just that I just feel that having faith is what religion is about.**

Since I did not go on a mission, I went through basically humiliation from everyone around me, even those who I did not even know. (I was working at Subway at the time, some random stranger assumed I was out of H.S. and to make small chit-chat, asked when I was going on a mission. When I told him I was not going on one, the man became very awkward and I could sense the instant judgement. Ridiculous, no? People who instantly judge like that piss me off more than anything.) My family felt I was making the biggest mistake in my life and they let me know it....multiple times. Not only did I not go on a mission, but I finally chose not to attend church anymore. That just made things worse with my family. All my siblings feel that the path they chose is the ONLY way to make it through life. I say, "Bollocks!"

I have been inactive for 2 years now. And although I don't attend church, I still believe there is a god. However, I don't think any one church has all the right answers. I've noticed many similarities between different religions, each has it's own differences though. If you want answers, the only thing I can advise you to do, is to search far and wide for them. And seek different opinions. Not only should you seek the answers from different people/religions, but also ask "Why?" Remember, people/religions tend to all be biased in one way or another (including mine). When you have done all the research you want on any given topic, sort through all the answers and choose the one that rings true to you and you feel to be the "best" answer. It may or may not be the right one, but you will (hopefully) be satisfied with that answer.

In conclusion, I feel that the most important aspect of life is that every single person choose for themselves. Don't be bothered if people around you disagree with your point of view. However, equally as important, don't forget that they themselves have their own choices to make and respect their choices. You can't expect people to be understanding of you, if you yourself are not understanding of them. I feel this aspect is often overlooked by many people.

Anyways, just my two cents.
    Post edited by weezma2004 on
  • tuttle is a false god... Do not donate to him, donate to me instead.

I see "organized" religion much as I see "organized" crime, both offer protection at a price.

How you live your life is far more important than going somewhere on Sundays. If you take a good hard look at Jesus's teachings you will see that the Catholic church is not following them.

Jesus's basic message is to be nice to those around you and treat them as you would want to be treated, make them family.

He was also against organized religion (ironic, no) especially the selling of forgiveness and other corruptions of the church.
  • So it begins. Again. Death to the time child.
  • edited November 2006
    Fascinating stories indeed.

I arrived at my atheist conclusions when I was young, about 12 or 13 years old. I always had an interest in nature and science, and the more I learned about science, the more I found that religions had a hell of a lot of explaining to do. I began to see religions as something that was used to organize, direct, and control people. Once all fantasy and promise of heavens and threats of hell were brushed aside, all you had left was dogma and psychological control mechanisms.

While I understand that being 'spiritual' or feeling the need to believe in something greater is necessary for some people, and I respect that to a certain extent, it simply doesn't fly for me. It makes zero sense.

I find current religions a mockery of humanity, filled with contradiction in message and rotten in moral fiber.

I believe that we are here, this is all the time we have, and we should enjoy our lives and help make the lives of others happy and beneficial for them and for all.
    Post edited by GreatTeacherMacRoss on
  • Thanks for the compliment and the links Water ^_^. I really appreciate them, as I did not come across them when I did a search of the forums.

Thanks to those who have shared =3
  • edited November 2006
    Also check out this discussion, where I and Trogdor gave our opinions... we are about the same age as you, so it seems a relevant discussion to bring up.

Yeah, I recently went through that too... It just seems so odd to me that for some reason it seems so obvious and yet there are so many religious people surrounding me. I've decided not to make any permanent decision right now and just live indifferent to "the weather or weather not" for the time being. I figured this would be the best choice to ease me into the idea of no such god because, growing up all your life believing in one, it kind of makes a big change.

I am currently in the confirmation program and I will be confirmed because my parents want me to. They say that it is ok if I do not believe in God, but as long as I am living with them I will practice Christianity. And I think that's perfectly fair.
    Post edited by Sail on
  • I simply told my mom that I didn't want to be confirmed and she said that that was ok with her. I am glad my parents are accepting of my beliefs.
  • I simply told my mom that I didn't want to be confirmed and she said that that was ok with her. I am glad my parents are accepting of my beliefs.
    It's definitely awesome. I know some people's parents would slap them across the face for saying they don't believe in god.
  • edited December 2006
    I consider myself a weird Catholic, I love my church and yet I do not go to it, I work on Sundays because I like Saturdays better. I was born in Peru and the predominant religion in Peru is the Roman Catholic Church. I must tell that for some reason the few times that I have gone to church I found it really heartwarming, maybe because I go to the Spanish masses , American Catholic masses are very different (maybe it depends on the Priest). I also do not believe in destiny, I chose my own way because I have free will, and that makes me feel alive. And yet at the same time every Christmas and Easter I feel something different inside my self (and it is not because of the decorations and stuff). I do not like to ask for anything to "the big guy" but back in Peru while I was during my process of confirmation ( Confirmation in Peru is way different that Confirmation in America , here is kind of boring according to my friends) , well I always felt at peace without having any problems around myself. Well, back then I had a little dog, she was pregnant and no one was at home, we did not had cellulars to call my dad, and he was out on business, I was 15 and my brother was 13, we were kind of scared that she might have die. She was very small, and we had to leave to go to school, as we were leaving my father came, which was unexpected because his work did not let him come back at home until late at night, and yet he was at home at 12 o'clock. My brother was really scared that my dad would have come to late to take her to a vet, we did not even had a vet. My brother asked me to pray for the health of my little dog and I did it her and him, I suddenly became confident that she will be alive and we would see her when we come back from school, my brother was still uneasy. When we came back she was sleeping under drugs, and she gave birth to 4 little puppies. Maybe it was God, maybe it was not but I want to believe. That dog was our first dog that my brother and I ever had and she is very dear to us and I am happy that she did not die that day.
    Well that was my wacky story, I guess I pray for I dog instead for praying for stooping world hunger. I was a horrible person, but then again I was 15 and I was living in a Third world country already :P
    Post edited by Erwin on
  • tuttle is a false god... Do not donate to him, donate to me instead.

I see "organized" religion much as I see "organized" crime, both offer protection at a price.

How you live your life is far more important than going somewhere on Sundays. If you take a good hard look at Jesus's teachings you will see that the Catholic church is not following them.

Jesus's basic message is to be nice to those around you and treat them as you would want to be treated, make them family.

He was also against organized religion (ironic, no) especially the selling of forgiveness and other corruptions of the church.
    Do not listen to Steve, Steve is such a bad God he doesn't even know I am female, I scoff at his godly powers.
  • I had a similar falling out with religion when I was in high school as you're having right now. The conclusion that I came to is kind of along the lines of a personal faith in some higher power. A power that supports and binds the universe and everything within it together. You can call it God. Heck, you can call it the force. Whatever it is I feel it there because life without it doesn't make sense on a visceral level to me.

I know logically religion is nothing more than a social construct to help maintain order in early civilizations. At it's best I see it's benefits as serving as a facilitator of community togetherness. At it's worst I see it embody the worse aspects of humanity. I don't question the tenants of science or evolution even though I know that the logical basisses that they're based on fly in the face of faith in God. Somehow I'm able to separate them in my mind and that's good enough for me. Good luck in finding your own path, in the end that's the best any of us can hope to do.
  • True to that :D
  • The conclusion that I came to is kind of along the lines of a personal faith in some higher power. A power that supports and binds the universe and everything within it together.
    See, that's cool. That's not religion, it's philosophy/spirituality. Nothing wrong with that unless you flip it from a personal belief or gut feeling to a positive assertion. ^_~

I have no problems with philosophy, spirituality, conjecture, etc... These are thought experiments, personal hunches, notions, whatever you want to call them. Our personal, solipsistic experiences cannot (as far as we know) be reconciled with one another, and such ideas are perfectly valid.

I take great issue, however, with religion. The moment someone makes a positive assertion, that assertion must be tested. In the case of counter evidence or a lack of evidence, the assertion must be discarded, or in the very least accepted as unproven and fallible.

To paraphrase what we said in the "Burden of Proof" episode, it can all be summed up as follows:

An ordinary assertion, being one that does not contradict extant bodies of research or evidence and does not require a leap of logic, can be accepted in the case of lack of evidence, as such acceptance requires nothing of the acceptor or world.

An extraordinary assertion, however, is a different matter entirely. An assertion is extraordinary if it contradicts known bodies of evidence, requires the existence of as-yet-unproven or unknown factors, or requires a clear leap in logic. No intelligent person can reasonably accept an extraordinary assertion without backing evidence: lack of evidence constitutes effective counter evidence.
  • Rym, I find your lack of faith disturbing...
  • Dang, I did not know that the Head of the human genome project believe in God. It happened today on Steven Colbert
  • Rym, I find your lack of faith disturbing...
    That's ADMIRAL RYM to you, buddy...
  • Yes, as Rym said, religion is the organization. For example, the Christian religion is as off putting to me as it is to anyone else, but I am a believer in the faith. The the concept of religion bothers me anyway. I believe what my spirit wants, and that's just me.
  • Apparently, I'm still officially a member of the Catholic Church. In order to remove myself from their list I have to make a formal declaration of defection, which entails that I sign a form in front of a witness, and inform a family member of my intentions. Oh, that's going to go over very well. But apart from that, I have to do something blasphemous for the diocese to take it seriously. What would the forum recommend?
  • Ooooh, deliciously exploitable. Give me a day.
  • Why does it matter if they think you're a member?
  • Molest a young boy.... oh wait, nevermind.
  • edited April 2010
    If you're legally an adult, you should be free to just say you're no longer a member and leave it at that. Just send them a letter and ask them to take you off their books. You're not under any kind of contract, I take it.
    Post edited by Omnutia on
  • If you're legally an adult, you should be free to just say you're no longer a member and leave it at that. Just send them a letter and ask them to take you off their books. You're not under any kind of contract, I take it.
    Fred, this is a matter of religion, not sense.
  • edited April 2010
    Why does it matter if they think you're a member?
    I just don't want to be associated with such a group of people. Many would not see it as a big deal. I, however, would like to burn that one last bridge. I would prefer it, though, if I didn't have to deal with bullshit just to take my name off their rolls.
    If you're legally an adult, you should be free to just say you're no longer a member and leave it at that. Just send them a letter and ask them to take you off their books. You're not under any kind of contract, I take it.
    Oh, how I wish that would work.
    Post edited by Diagoras on
  • edited April 2010
    Just tell a higher up that you reject the Holy Spirit and deny the divinity of Christ or something like that.

EDIT: Or dress up like Jesus and have sex with a guy during a mass. Gotta keep it simple.
    Post edited by TheWhaleShark on
  • edited April 2010
    Apparently, I'm still officially a member of the Catholic Church.
    Who cares?

EDIT
    I just don't want to be associated with such a group of people.
    You're not. They just think you are. It really isn't worth the effort.
    Post edited by trogdor9 on
  • edited April 2010
    Threaten to sue if they continue to keep you on their records. I'm sure that would be "evidence" enough of your denial of the Holy Spirit.
    Post edited by Sail on