This forum is in permanent archive mode. Our new active community can be found here.

Anime Club Community Service

edited December 2006 in Anime
My friends and I are starting an anime club at my high school. We got all the signatures, wrote up a constitution, and we're presenting it to the school board on the 18th.

The problem: We, as a club, have to serve at lease 12 hours of community service per year. We have beenwrapping our brains to come up with something we could do anime-related, but to no avail. Any ideas?

Comments

• Show anime movies at the local senior center!

Remember, if they are 65+ today they were born in 1941 or earlier!
  • Charity DDR-athon.
  • We were thinking about movie nights, where we could charge a few dollars a person to come in and see a Miyazaki film and then just donate the money we made to the school, which would technically be community service since it is a public school. It would also keep the school board on our good side, since I predict that, eventually if not right away, some parent will complain about the content in the anime. So my friend is working on a release form right now for the eventuality.
    Charity DDR-athon.
    Heh, we WOULD do that except that there is already an existing bemani club at our school.
  • We were thinking about movie nights, where we could charge a few dollars a person to come in
    You can NOT under any circumstances charge money for a showing.

You need written permission from the distributor to show it in the first place. That permission will always exclude non-free screenings.

The best you could do would be a "suggested donation," with the understanding that anyone can come in for free if they want. Even then, you still need permission.
  • We were thinking about movie nights, where we could charge a few dollars a person to come in
    You can NOT under any circumstances charge money for a showing.

You need written permission from the distributor to show it in the first place. That permission will always exclude non-free screenings.

The best you could do would be a "suggested donation," with the understanding that anyone can come in for free if they want. Even then, you still need permission.
    Oops, I didn't even think about that. Thanks for the save.
  • Rym,

How about doing a GeekNights on this subject? Or has it been done already?
  • We're planning on a whole series of shows on anime clubs. As a nice bonus, most of the advice applies to any fan-oriented club, so it'll be broadly useful.

Not to brag, but we're really experts on the subject. I've sat on the Anime Club Summit at Otakon for the last five years along with ScoJo, and we were both featured in Newtype (ScoJo himself as "legendary club expert") for our work. We ran the biggest and baddest anime club in the US back at RIT, and we've put a lot of time and energy into helping other clubs thrive. ^_^
  • Rym,

We know, and it's not bragging... That's why we want to hear from you on how it is done!
  • Yeah, hopefully before I graduate and my university's anime club is no longer my responsibility :p